Welcome to PatsFans.com

Sen Chuck Hagel (R): You can impeach George Bush

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by mikey, Mar 17, 2007.

1. mikey

mikey In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Why did you say that?
    While I agree that impeachment is highly unlikely if not politically impossible, Hagel's comments are incorrect why?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Well duh, if you don't support George W. Bush, you must be on LSD.

5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

Chuck Hagel is running for president.

6. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

So what, he knows what to say to increase his popularity?

Ok, I agree with you.

7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

8. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Because it would be the most absurd and destructive thing imaginable. Iraq and the Middle East would almost certainly become far worse than things are headed now, and it would divide the country as much as the Civil War did.

Bush has not only started a reformation in Iraq and the Middle East, he is the first U.S. president to open up to ending the 57 year old impasse of the divided Korean peninsula by beginning negotiations directly with North Korea.

There are many other reasons, but these are more than enough.

//

//

9. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

You have a gift for overstatement. Maybe it would only divide the country like the Clinton impeachment did?

10. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

You've not been paying attention: Clinton had to be impeached for what the left did to Nixon.

Bush absolutely does NOT deserve it. Quite the opposite, as history, at least, will surely attest.

//

11. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Does your God teach vengence? If we're going to get revenge for past generations, we can go round and around for a long, long time. Eventually and eye for an eye will leave us all blind. Maybe someone's still steamed about the Andrew Jackson impeachment.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  12. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Johnson, Andrew Johnson, not Jackson. Johnson's biggest mistake was that he pushed a heavily "Southern" agenda, including vetoing many civil rights bills that appeared for him to sign into law. Thus, there was no need for any repercussion for his impeachment, since he clearly deserved it. The times demanded better treatment of black Americans, and Johnson was "old South", which wanted none of it.

This is not about vengeance; it is about keeping balance and order in the body politic. What the radicals did to Nixon was unconscionable, and it had to be righted. Carter was bad enough -- allowing some 12 nations to go under the Soviet and Communist Chinese sway during his tenure -- but his losing the 1980 election was enough.

Clinton, on the other hand, personally defiled the presidency and the White House far more than any other president. Kennedy's antics with Marilyn Monroe and other women was bad, but Clinton took it to an all-time low when the nation was in need of moral leadership. So, he had to pay, and he rightly did.

Bush has done nothing near the damage to the presidency that Clinton did, and thus does not deserve the kind of abuse an impeachment would be. In fact, I believe in ten to fifteen years, people will be hailing GW Bush as the pioneer of a new age of American leadership in the world: working for world peace while not being afraid to take on those who would destroy those efforts.

//

//

13. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I don't know that I can find enough common ground with you on this to even debate you. I'm in bizzaro world, someone's telling me Nixon was the good guy.

I guess the only thing I can ask you is, who determines what rights a wrong? What if people feel what was done to Clinton was twice as bad as what was done to Nixon? Who are you to say it wasn't? They may feel like they're still behind and deserve to settle the score. This is where we weed out the hacks.

14. 3 to be 4

3 to be 4 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I'll have to ask the Lords forgiveness and probably make an appointment to see my Pastor but all I can say to that is, What the F???:eek:

15. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Nobody ever said it would be easy.

All I can say for now is: Nixon was the only credible member of either chamber of Congress to speak out clearly and forthrightly about the Soviet and Chinese Communist threat back in the late 1940s.

This happened after the American press, led by the "official paper of record", the "venerable Gray Lady" (aka The Wicked Witch of the North) New York Times had spent the entire 1930s paying homage to the "great advances of the Soviet system", primarily via the propaganda shill for Sovietism, Walter Duranty, who even one a Pulitzer for his efforts, as he praised "Papa Joe" Stalin for his "wonderful reforms"!!! You should read how Duranty spun the starvation of 13 million Ukrainians; it will make a healthy man sick. So much for "checks, balances, and diversity" in the American media.
    http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/002/791vwuaz.asp?ZoomFont=YES
    http://www.ukrweekly.com/Archive/2003/090312.shtml
    http://www.ukrweekly.com/revoke.shtml
    http://www.amazon.com/Stalins-Apologist-Walter-Duranty-Timess/dp/0195057007

When Nixon took point on revealing the emerging menace of Sovietism and Chinese/East Asian communism, he awakened America to the real future immediately after WWII: the life or death struggle between communism and democracy, the "Cold War". While democracy was based upon both spiritual and physical values -- with spirituality having a traditionally respected position because it dealt with eternal life, life after death -- communism did away with any spiritual concerns by saying: "if you want to believe in life after death, you can but you are a fool since you cannot prove it; if you don't believe in it, you are smart because atheism and materialism are the bases of the future communist world." It should be noted that Marx, Lenin, and all communists drew heavily from the theories of Darwin who said all life was just a big "accident" that "just happened on its own", thus effectively "killing" God in the process. Makes communism's materialistic view of life so much easier to sell when one teaches that all life is just one big "accident", random event.

Nixon was greatly responsible for awakening America and the West to the irreconcilable conflict between communism and democracy. That was an unpardonable sin in the eyes of those influential Americans, like those who ran/run the New York Times, who had a completely different -- and very hidden -- agenda prepared for America.

Watergate was never about a third rate burglary; it was from the beginning until the end always about getting Nixon. The game plan is thus: first, go after underlings: VP Agnew, AG Mitchell, Chuck Colson, HR Haldeman, and others; then, after momentum has built up and the air is filled with cries of "corrupt Nixon administration", and the piranhas are attracted by the scent of blood in the water, biting and attacking anything that moves with Nixon, then, finally, go after the man himself.

Like JFK didn't do many of the same things Nixon did, and worse!! But JFK was "untouchable" because he got killed. Even the Marilyn Monroe episodes, and all the other women visiting the White House -- while Jackie was away, of course -- never became public news, was never broadcast by the "great" Walter Cronkite or anyone at CBSNBCABCTheNYTimesWashingtonPost because John Kennedy was a "protected species" due to the myth of "Camelot", Kennedy's minority status as a (very nominal) Roman Catholic, and then finally his death.

Like LBJ didn't spy on people or tape them or any of the things Nixon did!! He did exactly the same, or more.

Bottom line: Nixon (Rep) was destroyed by the Left, and Clinton (Dem) was the liberal/Left sacrificial offering needed to balance the sheet.

You may not want to accept it, but all things must be balanced in the grand scheme of things. It's not a question of any person's judgment, not even God's; it is cosmic law. Know it, follow it, and be happy. Or deny it, ignore it, and pay the price. Your choice. Everyone's choice. Everyone gets what they deserve. It's never based on anybody's whim; it's always according to the *law* of the universe.

//

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  16. Real World

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

Clinton deserved what he got. He lied under oath. If people are permitted to do so without punishment, then why should the common man be held to a different standard? What was appalling to me about Clinton's lying, is that he was the farging president, and he pissed on the oath. I can tolerate a president fudging his position in a press conference, but under oath is unacceptable. Had he just said I got a BJ, he would have been crucified sure, but people do forgive for that stuff. One way or another, people were going to find out the truth. Lying under oath is a serious offense to me. It should be to everybody. The very fabric our our judicial system is built upon honesty while under oath.

17. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

What about Nixon?

18. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Nixon should have come clean about what he knew and when he knew it. The people would have forgiven him, too.

But the entire reason he was put through his ordeal was because there were those who wanted to off him, and they rode him until the end.

So nobody has any right to complain about what happened to Clinton because he got called on exactly the same kind of thing the anti-Nixon crowd did. Fair is fair.

Bush, on the other hand, has not lied about his reasons for going into Iraq, or about any phase of the operation to establish a stable democracy there. His only goof was under-estimating the strength of the resistance. But because these resistors are opposing democracy they are enemies of what is good; Geo Bush is not an enemy of what is good.

//

19. Real World

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

Richard Nixon's resignation August 8, 1974

I wasn't even born yet. I'll defer to the older fellas, or those of you who've studied what went on back then. I'd opine, but as my dad would say "it's not my cup of tea". At any rate, what about Nixon? Are you asking whether or not he should have been impeached?

20. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

The crux of the problem is that he did lie. At some point into the operation, the purpose became "freeing the Iraqi people", where as I remember it being sold as a campaign to rid Iraq of WMD's.