PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi-OT: Worst drive ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember back in the late 90s, I think it was, when Brad Johnson was the QB for the Vikings, he threw a touchdown pass for himself. Part of me thinks that crappy QBs everywhere have had that play in their minds for years. They just can't help themselves, they've gotta try to outdo it.

Last edited:
Why is it that offensive shootouts that come down to the wire are good games but defensive slug-fests that come down to the final drive are bad games?

Just curious. Because from a defensive standpoint I found the game entertaining in it's own right. It was damn fun to see the Ravens offense made to look so foolish.

I don't disagree in principle, but I do in execution. How many fumbles did MJD and Rice have between them? Between stuff like that, Flacco's absolutely atrocious game management, Reed's near-fumble on that punt return, Gabbert's unwillingness to plant his back foot, etc. etc. - it was just a bunch of guys playing ****ty football.

I remember back in the late 90s, I think it was, when Brad Johnson was the QB for the Vikings, he threw a touchdown pass for himself. Part of me thinks that crappy QBs everywhere have had that play in their minds for years. They just can't help themselves, they've gotta try to outdo it.

1997 Brad Johnson TD Pass to Himself - YouTube
Well, that solves that conundrum. All these QBs want lightning to strike twice!:eek:

Did we just witness the worst drive in NFL history tonight?

First: JAX punts from their 9 to the JAX 49; BAL returns the punt to JAX 45. Then Flacco takes over, and it goes downhill from there:

1-10 JAX 45: Flacco to Pitta for -5 yards.
2-15 50: Flacco to Rice for zero yards. Offensive Holding on Oher for -10 yards.
2-25 BAL 40: Flacco to Rice, incomplete.
3-25 BAL 40: Flacco runs for 14 yards. Offensive Holding on Oher for -10 yards.
3-35 BAL 30: Flacco pass to Flacco(!) for -8 yards (batted ball).
4-43 BAL 22: Koch punts.

no, any drive that ends in a punt is officially NOT the worst drive ever

i've seen 1 play pick 6 drives, so the answer is no

worst drive =

the D just had a goal line stand, the O on the first snap, gets the qb sacked/fumble and the other team gets the td anyway

that would be the worst drive ever

worst drive =

the D just had a goal line stand, the O on the first snap, gets the qb sacked/fumble and the other team gets the td anyway

that would be the worst drive ever
Actually, I think a drive that starts at the 1st-and-goal on the 1 that ends up in a safety would qualify as the most embarrassing drive possible.

Having to punting on 4th and 43, though? Automatically a bravura display of offensive FAIL, although not the most pathetic drive theoretically attainable.

Flacco 2 flacco
flacco2flacco.gif

Flacco had 23 yards passing. Rice had 23 yards rushing. Balanced attack! :)

Last edited:
Thank god this wasn't the game at Wembley, not going to get many new fans are they :rolleyes:

That is one hilarious drive, Murphy's Law at it's finest. Flacco to Flacco was especially funny.

Hey, it was a completed pass. He was just padding his stats.

To be fair, the officiating was noticeably bad.
There are a lot of games with bad calls but Monday night was worse. It seemed like the officials were just confused and guessing most of the time.

Did anyone hear "IM GOING TO F...... KILL YOU" at official Walt Coleman in the background?

You can hear it here
NFL Fan Yells "I'll ******* Kill You!" on Live TV - YouTube

Last edited:
Why didn't he just let it drop for an incomplete pass?

I think it's probably just instinct. It's like that JD Drew play last year where he caught the ball in foul ground, which allowed the opposing player to tag up and score. People said he should have just let the ball drop for the foul, but as a player you're drilled over and over to get a good jump, run, and catch the ball. Sometimes you just don't think of those things in the heat of the moment.

A trick quiz question - Brett Favre's first completed pass as a Green Bay Packer was to a future Hall of Famer who has never caught another pass since. Who made the catch.

(The answer, I'm sure you've guessed, was Brett Favre.)

I remember seeing somebody punting on 4th and goal from their own half. Probably late 1990's - certainly since 1990 because I didn't see any football before then. Can't remember who it was, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes