PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

semi-OT: summer reading list

bokonon

Rookie
Reaction score
I'm a voracious reader as well as football fan, but usually those 2 things haven't intersected in my life. Thought it might be worthwhile (to me if noone else) to get you all to list out some recommended football reads for the off-season.

Here's 2 I have read and highly recommend to others:
The Education of a Coach by David Halberstam
When Pride Still Mattered* by David Maraniss

*non-Pats related

What else should I put on my list to pass the months until pre-season?

I recently read part of Next Man Up by John Feinstein. It's a pretty interesting profile of the Baltimore Ravens and a good look at how a pretty good front office works.

Of course, Patriot Reign is a must.

Pepper Johnson's book has the most inside info on what it's really like to be a Patriots coach

Moving the Chains is just about as well written as the Halberstam Book, gives pretty good insight into how #12 thinks.

I'm a voracious reader as well as football fan, but usually those 2 things haven't intersected in my life. Thought it might be worthwhile (to me if noone else) to get you all to list out some recommended football reads for the off-season.

Here's 2 I have read and highly recommend to others:
The Education of a Coach by David Halberstam
When Pride Still Mattered* by David Maraniss

*non-Pats related

What else should I put on my list to pass the months until pre-season?

I'm most of the way through The Education of a Coach. I have a horrible attention span when it comes to reading books, but I'm moving right a long with this one. Great insight on why BBs brain works the way it does and his formative years.

That said, I'm not a reader so I can't help much with your reading list. If you're at all interested in personal finances, The Millionaire Next Door is a great little book that's been out for a number of years. The gist is that things aren't always as they appear when determining assets. It doesn't take too long to read and really helped me put my personal financial situation in order.

Moving the Chains is just about as well written as the Halberstam Book, gives pretty good insight into how #12 thinks.

I actually thought Moving the Chains was the worst Patriot's book I've read yet. Kinda boring. Some interesting insight, but I could do without the family's tree history, and the Brady family's religious backround. I like Patriot Reign and From the Sidelines way better. To each his own though.

Education of a Coach and Patriots Reign are both great. Feinstein's biography on Red Auerbach is incredible.

Pat Conroy (Prince of Tides, Great Santini, Lords of Discipline, etc...) is a truly GREAT writer and wrote a less publicized (and less successful) autobiography of his time on the basketball team at the Citadel. It's called "My Losing Season" - I'm not a big hoops guy, and REALLY not a big LOSING-hoops-at-a-military-institute guy, and I LOVED THIS BOOK. It's fantastic. (And anyone who's read Santini and Lords... will love how "My Losing Season" feels like a behind-the-scenes featurette from a DVD - the connections behind this real-life story and what went into those classic fictions is fascinating.)

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back