PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi+-OT: Ray Allen's 3-pt'er record

Uncle Rico

Pro Bowl Player
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
This has been bugging me for a few days. I'm not a big basketball fan at all, but I'm not quite getting the big media coverage that Ray Allen's breaking of the record for NBA three-pointers is getting.

I wonder if it's in part because of the mentality we've developed following the Patriots in the Brady-Belichick era.

I guess the first thing that bugs me is that it took some effort to find out in some reports that the Celtics had actually lost the game. Not only that, it was to the hated rival Lakers. On top of that was the big hoopla over his family being there, and the solo post-game press conference, and Allen himself seemed to eat it up a bit (though he seems like a nice guy in his own right).

Finally -- I'm not convinced the record is worth the hype on its own. I can't even think of a football equivalent. It's such an obtuse individual record set on a night when the player's team lost, and by a player who's only been with the team for a few years in a long career.

Anyway - -maybe a Celts fan can explain it. As a Pats fan, it just doesn't sit right. Or maybe it's just me.

Last edited:
I am also an average NBA fan at best, but I'm wondering if this is one of those Brett Favre records. Play long enough at a decent level, and you set a record. Any truth to this?

this is the dumbest post i have seen in a while. Why are you trying to compare football to basketball...they are way different.

FYI, you dont just hang around the NBA long enough and break records. What Ray Allen has done is very impressive and he will go down as one, if not THE best shooters in the game.

I'm a Celtic fan and I think that the Boston writers went on vacation this week. First I read in the Herald the article about the Lakers coming to town. "The Celtics Get a Free Pass", wtf? Apparently,the Celts have some injuries, and since they won at the Forum, this game didn't mean anything..................Then, Allen gets the record, and I locate the box score and see that the Celtics lost. Totally Unacceptable.
In regards to Ray Allan. He's a class athlete. His work ethic is equal to any pro athlete. His 3-point record dwarfed the Brady to Moss record which had everyone buzzing. I guess it would equal the all-time rushing record by Emitt Smith.

I liken it to the TD record Favre broke or Rickey Henderson's stolen base record. Good for Ray, glad he got a bit of hoopla out of it.

Also, anytime Reggie Miller is knocked out of a record book is A-OK with me.

This has been bugging me for a few days. I'm not a big basketball fan at all, but I'm not quite getting the big media coverage that Ray Allen's breaking of the record for NBA three-pointers is getting.

I wonder if it's in part because of the mentality we've developed following the Patriots in the Brady-Belichick era.

I guess the first thing that bugs me is that it took some effort to find out in some reports that the Celtics had actually lost the game. Not only that, it was to the hated rival Lakers. On top of that was the big hoopla over his family being there, and the solo post-game press conference, and Allen himself seemed to eat it up a bit (though he seems like a nice guy in his own right).

Finally -- I'm not convinced the record is worth the hype on its own. I can't even think of a football equivalent. It's such an obtuse individual record set on a night when the player's team lost, and by a player who's only been with the team for a few years in a long career.

Anyway - -maybe a Celts fan can explain it. As a Pats fan, it just doesn't sit right. Or maybe it's just me.

Any number of football records are similar. If someone played 15 years for another team, and then was signed by BB, wouldn't you still go nuts for the guy if he set the all-time sack record 3 years later? Most fans would.

I think the record is a big deal because it emphasizes something that is a lost art in the NBA, and that's shooting the damn basketball.

If you red the quotes from Allen this week, he was PO'd that so many reporters referred to his god given talents, because shooting is about one thing and one thing only: hard work, practice, regimen, discipline, repetition.

Allen came out of high school with an awful ugly jump shot, one of the worst his coaches had ever seen. He worked at it.

The NBA doesn't have enough guys who are pure shooters.

I am not a huge Celtics fan but from all reports he is the most humble of people, a perfect fit for the Patriots.

And how do you blame the fact that you couldn't find whether or not the Celtics lost the game unless you did a little digging on Ray Allen?

This isn't a Brett Favre sort of record. Brett Favre played for a long, long time and broke records by just throwing a lot of passes. Ray Allen broke Reggie Miller's record by shooting extremely well. (it took Allen less time + he has a higher 3PT%).

And yes, the Celtics lost the game. However, it isn't like football where 1 game is so big. It's an 82 game season. The fact that the Celts lost doesn't change the record. If you want a football equivalent, I dunno. They are completely different sports. I guess you could say career TD:INT ratio? :confused:

Heh --well, so sounds like this might not have been my best thread. That's what I get for venturing into basketball! I definitely didn't mean to disparage Allen himself — he does seem like a class athlete.

It just seemed like every time I turned on the TV this week it was all about this record. Maybe I just had way too much time for TV, being home for an unpaid "furlough" week (my company has become way too fond of those.) Part of it too is that I've followed sports long enough that the three-point play still strikes me as a novelty thing, but I guess it has been in play for a while now.

Anyway, thanks for responding everyone.

Uncle Rico - I have to somewhat reluctantly agree with you and Felger&Mazz who took the same viewpoint.

The reality is, it was just a race between Miller & Allen. It's a young record - and the third guy on the list is Jason Kidd, which says a little something about it.

I'm very happy for Allen, and it should mean a lot to him considering all the work he puts in, and what kind of shape he keeps himself in. But I don't understand the hoopla that the networks were putting into it. CSN, sure, they're local, we're excited. But TNT? Really? I mean, Pierce getting 20,000 points was an achievement and much, much less was made of it.

But, the bottom line is, Ray Allen is one of the best shooters ever to play the game, and for that, I think the record is worthy of some celebration.

Last edited:

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back