PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi-OT: Predict Talib's success this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he just got his last big contract, and now hes going to fall back into that sort of, "coasting" he did while in tampa.

He had something to prove and a big contract to earn, he did both. id say talib falls back into the category of "wasted potential" and "always hurt"

then again he didn't actually ever hurt his hip last year right talib?

On paper. YES. You are right.

But at least DRC played in playoff games. Talib has left the last 2 AFCCG with soft injuries. DRC has been very durable during his NFL career. Talib has never played a full 16 game season.

No doubt, Talib has an injury history. But the OP and you are both wrong when calling that deep bone bruise a soft injury.

A deep bone bruise only sounds non-serious. It's actually the fracturing of the inner layer of the bone. If they said he broke the inside of his bone instead of calling it a bone bruise, people would appreciate just how serious it is.

A bone bruise can cause pain for weeks and months afterwards. It also takes longer to heal than an outer bone fracture. Also, unlike others who have played through pain, continuing to play on it can worsen the condition.

http://www.tsaog.com/connect-learn-...marvin-brown-on-why-bone-bruise-is-a-misnomer

If Talib stays healthy I would imagine he'll have an excellent season thanks, in large part, to having what may well end up being the best pass rush in the league helping him out up front.

Tell me how his leg's doing, and I'll tell you how well he'll play.

We obviously upgraded with Revis, but I think Denver did too with Talib over Rodgers-Cromartie.

Denver doesn't need him to be amazing, not like we did anyways. The Broncos have upgraded their secondary significantly by signing T.J. Ward and Talib, and with Chris Harris Jr. returning after injury. So long as Talib is decent, they'll be a much better unit.

Talib is not a major upgrade over DRC, especially once talib sits on the sideline with a hangnail. Chris harris is coming off an torn ACL and doesn't represent an upgrade over 2013 chris harris. Where they upgraded is at safety with ward.

Watch Talib go out and play a full 16 games +....

I seriously think he could be the second best CB in the game if he was guaranteed health. What he did the first 5 & 1/2 weeks last season was amazing.

I don't know what to predict with Talib because of injuries but if he's healthy he is going to cement his name in the elite CB status. Poor him, he should've taken a one year deal and try to stay healthy, he's only getting 9AAV and could be etting 11-12

When hes healthy he will be good...but he wont be healthy the entire year. I say he misses 4 games

If he can stay healthy, then I think that Talib is a top 5 corner next year. What he showed in the first four games of the season is who he really is when completely healthy. But, as most of you have stated, he has to be on the field more and especially when it matters.

Injuries are unpredictable and can change entire games, seasons, and sadly careers. Talib has missed a lot of crucial moments and that definitely should be mentioned. But the man is a good player and I think he'll show if when he's on the field. I hate that he improves Denver's defense.

I still think Revis makes the Patriots better than Talib makes the Broncos. Even if Talib finishes with more INT's, I think Revis' impact will be greater. Teams don't avoid Talib the way they avoid Revis. They still test Talib because he'll give up plays, though not routinely. Revis won't give up many plays period. Revis can also cover receivers of all types. Talib struggles with smaller, quicker guys.

Talib was fantastic in a number of games last season, but he also had his lunch eaten on numerous occasions with "Ice up" being the prime example. He's really good against big WR's and I actually epect him to be on gronkowski when they play NE, but if he is up against smaller quicker WR's he's a mediocre CB, and he isn't in the same universe as Revis overall. Revis can play any receiver in the game and shut them down, Talib has to be used to his strengths.

I thought his first year with the Pats was overrated. He helped to improve the secondary, but that was because he allowed McCourty to safety and it improved two positions.

I disagree a little with that. Talib actually turned his head and looked for the ball when trailing a receiver. Having someone actually do that on a consistent basis helped us. Ironically it's how he got injured the first time, defending a pass intended for Andre Johnson. He should have had the interception instead he got injured when he fell to the ground.

I wonder if now that Talib got payed he will play thru injury. Maybe he was thinking contract so didn't want to take anymore risk? It will be interesting to see how that goes.

Talib is the love child of Revis & Ras-I Dowling:eek:

Talib was fantastic in a number of games last season, but he also had his lunch eaten on numerous occasions with "Ice up" being the prime example. He's really good against big WR's and I actually epect him to be on gronkowski when they play NE, but if he is up against smaller quicker WR's he's a mediocre CB, and he isn't in the same universe as Revis overall. Revis can play any receiver in the game and shut them down, Talib has to be used to his strengths.

Talib is hard to figure out. Not only did steve smith burn talib, so did hakeem nicks for 180+ yards when talib was in tampa. This notion that talib is a shut down corner against big WRs is fantasy. He's good against some, others not so much.

Teams will have to play catch up vs Denver most every game which means lots of "pick" opportunities for Talib. I expect a personal record in the pick dept. The Broncos do play against a high number of competent QBs this season (IMO 10) so he will need to feast against the Raiders/Jets/Bills, etc.

Talib is not a major upgrade over DRC, especially once talib sits on the sideline with a hangnail. Chris harris is coming off an torn ACL and doesn't represent an upgrade over 2013 chris harris. Where they upgraded is at safety with ward.

DRC played RCB last season until the Harris injury; he wasn't even the best corner on his team vs. a Pro Bowl season from Talib. Not even close, come on.

Harris coming back from injury might be an issue but he will also go back to RCB which will mean better match-ups than when he was manning the LCB spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes