PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi OT: Looks like they changed the Franchise Tag Equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I was reading through the Franchise Tag information in the CBA because of the talk of Mario Williams potentially becoming a free agent due to the Texans lack of cap space. And I found that the equation for the franchise tag has changed and is more complex than before.

The Nonexclusive Franchise Tender
shall be a one year NFL Player Contract for (A) the average of the five largest Prior Year Salaries for players at the position (within the categories set forth in Section 7(a) below) at which the Franchise Player participated in the most plays during the prior League Year, which average shall be calculated by: (1) summing the amounts of the Franchise Tags for players at that position for the five preceding League Years; (2) dividing the resulting amount by the sum of the Salary Caps for the five preceding League Years (using the average of the amounts of the 2009 and 2011 Salary Caps as the Salary Cap amount for the 2010 League Year); and (3) multiplying the resulting percentage by the
Salary Cap for the upcoming League Year (e.g., when calculating the Tender for the 2012 League Year, dividing the aggregate sum of the Franchise Tags for players at that position for the 2007–2011 League Years by the aggregate sum of the Salary Caps for the 2007–2011 League Years and multiplying the result by the amount of the Salary Cap for the 2012 League Year) (the “Cap Percentage Average”) (

And here is the Appendix E example:
http://www.thenetrat.com/cba-2011-2020.pdf
Set forth below are hypothetical examples for illustrative purposes only.
Example 1: Calculation of the Non-Exclusive Franchise Tender for a linebacker for the 2012 League Year:
2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 ’11–’07 Sum
Franchise Tag* N/A $10.091 $9.68 $8.304 $8.065 $7.206 $43.346
Salary Cap $125.0 $120.375 $121.6875 $123.0 $116.0 $109.0 $590.0625

*Note: the “Franchise Tag” for 2011 equals the average of the five largest Salaries (as defined in Article 10) for linebackers from the 2010 League Year; the “Franchise Tag” for 2010 equals the average of the five largest Salaries (as defined in Article 10) for linebackers from the 2009 League Year, and so on.

Σ (Franchise Tags 2007–2011) ÷ Σ (Salary Caps 2007 –2011) = 7.346% ($43.346 ÷ $590.0625). If the 2012 Salary Cap was $125 million, then the 2012 Non-Exclusive Franchise Tender for a linebacker would be $9.183 million (7.346% of $125 million), or 120% of the player’s 2011 Salary (as defined in Article 10), whichever is greater.

I believe that this is designed to roll back the franchise tag numbers a bit, but it's definitely a major difference that really didn't get talked about previously. And it will have a direct effect on the negotiations with Wes Welker..

I wonder if Miguel has the franchise tag numbers from the previous years somewhere in his files..

Last edited:
I was reading through the Franchise Tag information in the CBA because of the talk of Mario Williams potentially becoming a free agent due to the Texans lack of cap space. And I found that the equation for the franchise tag has changed and is more complex than before.

And here is the Appendix E example:
http://www.thenetrat.com/cba-2011-2020.pdf

I believe that this is designed to roll back the franchise tag numbers a bit, but it's definitely a major difference that really didn't get talked about previously. And it will have a direct effect on the negotiations with Wes Welker..

I wonder if Miguel has the franchise tag numbers from the previous years somewhere in his files..

I don't know if that necessary reduces it. It sounds like they are calculating the % of the cap the franchise tag for that position took up historically and using that to normalize it.
Therefore, the tag number will now increase proportionately to the cap, rather than current contracts.

I don't know if that necessary reduces it. It sounds like they are calculating the % of the cap the franchise tag for that position took up historically and using that to normalize it.
Therefore, the tag number will now increase proportionately to the cap, rather than current contracts.

It's a bit weird: the numerators are based on current contracts; the denominators are based on the salary cap.

It has reduced them. Tag for WR's was over $11M last season. This year it is projected by the new method to be $9.4M. There were multiple articles written on the subject months ago. It also helps the Saints because the tag for QB's is just $14.5M, and it was $14.2m three years ago when Cassel was tagged and almost $16M in 2011.

Good article from Andrew Brandt with some more guesstimated figures.

Tougher Game of Tag | National Football Post

That sounds right to me.

For example, if the average of the top-5 salaries of quarterbacks corresponded to 25% of the total cap number in the last 5 years (i.e. "franchise" numbers increased exactly proportionately to the cap) and the cap for the upcoming year goes up 10%, then the franchise number for quarterbacks will go up 10% to keep it at 25% of the cap.

Which doesn't *reduce* franchise numbers so much as smooth them out when there is an anomalous year.

All I read was Mario Williams. What is his franchise tag number and will the Texans let him walk? (Their defense was damn impressive without their best player).

Potential Houston front seven:

Williams - Cody - Watt
Barwin - Cushing - Ryans - Reed

Holy ****.

Here are all the projected guesstimated numbers from NFL.com. Williams will get 120% of his 2011 tag if he is re-tagged.

Franchise-tag values for 2012

Figures for next season by position and players who could be impacted

Quarterback: $14.4 million (down from $16.1 million in 2011, $16.4 million in 2010); Drew Brees

Running back: $7.7 million (down from $9.6 million in 2011, $8.2 million in 2010); Matt Forte, Ray Rice

Wide receiver: $9.4 million (down from 11.4 million in 2011, $9.5 million in 2010); DeSean Jackson, Vincent Jackson*, Steve Johnson, Wes Welker

Tight end: $5.4 million (down from $7.3 million in 2011, $5.9 million in 2010); Fred Davis, Jermichael Finley

Offensive line: $9.4 million (down from $10.1 million in 2011, $10.7 million in 2010); Ben Grubbs, Carl Nicks

Defensive end: $10.6 million (down from $13 million in 2011, $12.4 million in 2010); Jason Jones, Mario Williams*

Defensive tackle: $7.9 million (down from $12.5 million in 2011; it was $7 million in 2010); Paul Soliai*

Linebacker: $8.8 million (down from $10.1 million in 2011, $9.7 million in 2010); Stephen Tulloch

Cornerback: $10.6 million (down from $13.5 million in 2011; tag was $9.6 million in 2010); Cortland Finnegan, Brent Grimes

Safety: $6.2 million (down from $8.8 million in 2011, $6.5 million in 2010); LaRon Landry

* - Player who'd receive more money because it'd be his second year in a row on the franchise tag, meaning he'd make 120 percent of his 2011 salary

All I read was Mario Williams. What is his franchise tag number and will the Texans let him walk? (Their defense was damn impressive without their best player).

Potential Houston front seven:

Williams - Cody - Watt
Barwin - Cushing - Ryans - Reed

Holy ****.

Barwin or Reed would sit in the 34 for Williams, he's not a 34 DE. But, like you said, they lost him very early in the season and had a top tier defense without him, Barwin made him expendable. No reason to pay top dollar for him when you don't even know if he can play in the 34, he never had a chance to prove it this year.

I think we can all agree that Planet Hoosten has a tremendous young Defense, plenty of Depth at Flanker ~ OutSide LineBacker, to you Earthlings ~ and has MUCH better things to do with their Cap Dollars than to waste them on Mario Williams...Cut the bum LOOSE, I say!! :D

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Truly LOVE that sig!

Mario Williams cap number for 2011 was 15.1 million. At 120%, it would be 18.12 Million. Or an additional 3.02 million more than this year. Which is pretty expensive.

Mario Williams cap number for 2011 was 15.1 million. At 120%, it would be 18.12 Million. Or an additional 3.02 million more than this year. Which is pretty expensive.

For a guy coming off a lost season who hasn't played in their new defense? When they're tight against the cap? Hard to see them doing that.

Though if they did, that would give them a 3-4 of:

J.J. Watt / Shaun Cody / Mario Williams

Connor Barwin / Brian Cushing / DeMeco Ryans / Brooks Reed

Wow. Just...wow.

For a guy coming off a lost season who hasn't played in their new defense? When they're tight against the cap? Hard to see them doing that.

Though if they did, that would give them a 3-4 of:

J.J. Watt / Shaun Cody / Mario Williams

Connor Barwin / Brian Cushing / DeMeco Ryans / Brooks Reed

Wow. Just...wow.

They've had Williams playing OLB in their 3-4, not DE..

They've had Williams playing OLB in their 3-4, not DE..

True, I was jumping to conclusions about what I'd do in their place. But I suspect Williams will be moving on, especially since they have to address Schaub's contract too (he's entering the last year of his deal).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots