PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi OT: Coming to a theater on 4/11/14 "Draft Day"

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Name of Movie: Draft Day

Starring: Kevin Costner and Jennifer Garner
Plot: The Browns GM (Kevin Costner) is trying to acquire the #1 pick in the draft. Jennifer Garner is the Browns Salary Cap "Guru".

Draft Day (2014) - IMDb

A colleague of mine was invited to the premier last night here in Dallas. Said it was a great movie. The big thing that they emphasized during the movie and afterwards was how much goes on behind the scenes that we, the fans, don't get to see. Particularly when it comes to drafting players and it stresses things that some of us have mentioned in the draft forum about how players rub coaches the wrong way during pre-draft interviews and such. And how the other intangibles (work ethic, learning ability, leadership, etc) play a role in the process.

Yeah I thought this was a commercial for some TV show or the actual draft at first not sure about paying to see it...

Plot: The Browns GM (Kevin Costner) is trying to acquire the #1 pick in the draft. Jennifer Garner is the Browns Salary Cap "Guru".

Draft Day (2014) - IMDb

It pains me to say it, but I know Miguel and Jennifer Garner is much hotter

Preview looks pretty good

Not a big fan of Kevin Costner, but I love the draft and it's process. I am going to see this!!

I had no idea this was in the works. Looks good!

Jennifer Garner can't act, but the movie still looks interesting.

Well I guess Kevin Costner is due for a good movie... been about 25 years since the last one......

I didn't open this thread until right now because I thought it was some spoof stuff. Will have to check out the preview though I do not like Mrs. Affleck.

Plot: The Browns GM (Kevin Costner) is trying to acquire the #1 pick in the draft. Jennifer Garner is the Browns Salary Cap "Guru"

Great premise. The Browns have such a stellar history when they draft #1 overall. Costner couldn't eff it up any worse than Cleveland's real management did in '99 and 2000.

Even with Costner, I do want to watch this one.

Ha! Denis Leary, that's awesome.

1 ~ Denis Leary is gutless, soulless sewage who threw over the Patriots and has always rooted for the Packers because he came of age in the 1960's, when the Packers ruled the FootBall World. He roots for whoever's winning, because that's what soulless, gutless parasitical scum do.

2 ~ By the way: Leary built his entire Career on stealing his entire Shtick from Bill Hicks.

3 ~ Bill Hicks ~ who is now dead.

Denis Leary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Many people believed Leary had stolen Hicks' act & material. The friendship ended abruptly as a result. In April '93 the Austin Comedy News remarked on the similarities of Leary's performance:

"Watching Leary is like seeing Hicks from two years ago. He smokes with the same mannerisms. He sports the same attitude, the same clothes. He touches on almost all of the same themes."

More from Wiki:

"At least three stand-up comedians have gone on the record stating they believe Leary stole Hicks' material, comedic persona and attitude."

"Bill was furious. All these years, aside from the occasional jibe, he had pretty much shrugged off Leary's lifting. Comedians borrowed, stole stuff and even bought bits from one another. Milton Berle and Robin Williams were famous for it. This was different.

Leary had, practically line for line, taken huge chunks of Bill's act and recorded it."

He is scum.

One thing I don't understand is how we're going to actually see Costner, the other actors, and any potential draft board in the background when Jennifer Garner's enormous man-jaw is consuming the entire screen during her scenes.

1 ~ Denis Leary is gutless, soulless sewage who threw over the Patriots and has always rooted for the Packers because he came of age in the 1960's, when the Packers ruled the FootBall World. He roots for whoever's winning, because that's what soulless, gutless parasitical scum do.

He is scum.

Alrighty then. Was Bill Hicks a relative of yours? Just wondering why such a strong emotional attachment.

Never really thought Leary was all that funny anyway. Bill seems to like him, and I tend to trust his judge of character (albeit not perfect).

BTW, in some of the very lean years when NE sucked arse, I rooted for the Raiders when the Patriots were out of it. Not because I was a soulless, gutless parasitical scumbag, it's because I was 10-12 and that was my soda-pop league football teams name, and the Raiders were good.

2 ~ By the way: Leary built his entire Career on stealing his entire Shtick from Bill Hicks.

3 ~ Bill Hicks ~ who is now dead.

Denis Leary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Many people believed Leary had stolen Hicks' act & material. The friendship ended abruptly as a result. In April '93 the Austin Comedy News remarked on the similarities of Leary's performance:

"Watching Leary is like seeing Hicks from two years ago. He smokes with the same mannerisms. He sports the same attitude, the same clothes. He touches on almost all of the same themes."

More from Wiki:

"At least three stand-up comedians have gone on the record stating they believe Leary stole Hicks' material, comedic persona and attitude."

"Bill was furious. All these years, aside from the occasional jibe, he had pretty much shrugged off Leary's lifting. Comedians borrowed, stole stuff and even bought bits from one another. Milton Berle and Robin Williams were famous for it. This was different.

Leary had, practically line for line, taken huge chunks of Bill's act and recorded it."

He is scum.

I'd bet that Leary has done 100X more charity work than you ever have or will.

Great premise. The Browns have such a stellar history when they draft #1 overall. Costner couldn't eff it up any worse than Cleveland's real management did in '99 and 2000.
I can just see Cleveland fans sarcastically lobbying for Haslam to hire Costner after this movie comes out.

If the really wanted to do a movie about the draft, they'd do it, not with the focus on the #1 pick, but on one in the bottom half of the draft.....or better yet, a draft pick in 4th round. I've always believed that picking in the top 5 is the easiest place, with the LEAST drama. Everyone knows who the top 5 guys are, and regardless of how their NFL careers turn out, there is always an easy justification for the pick.

What would REALLY show what the draft is all about, is showing what a team does after all the "easy" consensus picks are gone.

I'd bet that Leary has done 100X more charity work than you ever have or will.
What he did alone for the Worcester fire victims earned my admiration, particularly because I knew one of them.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back