PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi OT: Bledsoe/Parcells SI article from 1995

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh, stupid me. I thought I was just showing an interesting article about a big part of the teams past 20 years.

Sorry, I will only respect the players other posters tell me I am allowed to respect.

Huh, stupid me. I thought I was just showing an interesting article about a big part of the teams past 20 years.

Sorry, I will only respect the players other posters tell me I am allowed to respect.

Feel free to PM me for a list

Quit being so passive-aggressive. You're perfectly within your rights to praise Bledsoe. And those with an opposing view are within their rights to disagree. Seems like you're the one wanting to control what people post here, not the other way around.

Good article, though. Presciently shows Bledsoe's habits ("just f*&%ing sling it") and sense of entitlement.

Bledsoe will forever remain a touchstone to spark debate here, and I doubt either side is going to change the other's minds.

From my perspective, I just never understood the cult of personality that formed around Bledsoe. They couldn't just acknowledge that the guy was a good quarterback - very good at times, very poor at times - who didn't have the same kind of work ethic as his successor.

Calling the Patriots franchise a "laughing stock" is only accurate in terms of the years just proceeding Parcells. To apply it to the rest of Patriots history ignores some excellent players and excellent teams. And to call Bledsoe a "savior" diminishes greatly what Robert Kraft did to save the franchise. Parcells and Bledsoe sold tickets. Kraft did the heavy lifting.

[/B]

I agree with all of this (except for 1978 maybe) including the order you put it in and if people could talk about Bledsoe in these terms and not use words like savior than I would have a lot less problems with what they say.

Check the thread again and you will see that you are the first and only person to use the word "savior".

Quit being so passive-aggressive. You're perfectly within your rights to praise Bledsoe. And those with an opposing view are within their rights to disagree. Seems like you're the one wanting to control what people post here, not the other way around.

Good article, though. Presciently shows Bledsoe's habits ("just f*&%ing sling it") and sense of entitlement.

Bledsoe will forever remain a touchstone to spark debate here, and I doubt either side is going to change the other's minds.

From my perspective, I just never understood the cult of personality that formed around Bledsoe. They couldn't just acknowledge that the guy was a good quarterback - very good at times, very poor at times - who didn't have the same kind of work ethic as his successor.

Calling the Patriots franchise a "laughing stock" is only accurate in terms of the years just proceeding Parcells. To apply it to the rest of Patriots history ignores some excellent players and excellent teams. And to call Bledsoe a "savior" diminishes greatly what Robert Kraft did to save the franchise. Parcells and Bledsoe sold tickets. Kraft did the heavy lifting.

1) I NEVER said Savior. Ever. I don't know how that whole thing started, and it was never my intent with the article.

2) It's not being passive-aggressive, and how am *I* trying to decide what is posted? I posted what I thought was an interesting article from 1995. Armchair QB decided flaming the post and the player it was about was the way to go. I replied. I have never been one to say how much I loved Drew or Parcells. But I can respect what they did for the franchise.

Check the thread again and you will see that you are the first and only person to use the word "savior".

First page:

He was the Savior. Am I the only one that remembers the pre-Bledsoe Patriots and how much the franchise turned around after he arrived? I'm only 31, not that old, I shouldn't be the only one.

**** MacPherson saved the franchise.

Got us Cheerleaders, and took out that nasty turf at sullivan stadium.

also Eugene Chung helped save the franchise as well, but his contributions arent as easy to point out.

1) I NEVER said Savior. Ever. I don't know how that whole thing started, and it was never my intent with the article.

Didn't say you did. Another poster said it derisively, to which "JonVaughnTD" wrote "He was the savior"

2) It's not being passive-aggressive, and how am *I* trying to decide what is posted? I posted what I thought was an interesting article from 1995. Armchair QB decided flaming the post and the player it was about was the way to go. I replied. I have never been one to say how much I loved Drew or Parcells. But I can respect what they did for the franchise.

"Sorry, I will only respect the players other posters tell me I am allowed to respect" is a passive-aggressive comment. First, it's a strawman argument: nobody ever told you what players you're allowed to respect; You came up with that. It's a snide comment that suggests that people weren't supposed to respond the way they did.

Bledsoe had a cement head at that time. I'm surprised parcells didn't cold c@ck him a few times. Does anyone remember the camera shots of them arguing? If we had HD then it would have made for good viewing.

Yeah, because quarterbacks and their coaches never argued;)

And successful franchises are threatened with relocation and have their games blacked out.

I can't believe I forgot all this stuff!

Seriously, people who want to underestimate what Bledsoe did for this franchise need to have their head examined. In the end, Bledsoe's career wasn't what it could/should have been but look at the fates of some of the other #1/2 overall QBs drafted since then.

These are QBs who usually go into horrible situations and get killed.

Kind of a rant here....Tired, so bare with me...I also don't have thread starting priveleges here, and Im sure this has been discussed in the past, but thought I'd throw in my two cens..

It's actually a viscious cycle. Bledsoe after a few years got as good as he was going to get. He had his wife, she had a few kids during his Pats time, and as soon as the off season would hit, they would go to Washington. He'd return to NE for the required stuff. His leadership was always discussed, his effort discussed, poor decision-making etc. Him having kids and a family is totally great, his choice. I bring this up to discuss Brady.

I have played team sports (high school, college) and others who have too can tell you that the bonding and time spent together off the field for a team translates on the field as well. Going for beers together, getting together just to play video games, playing pick-up with each other in backyards or local fields, or just hanging out and talking. Brady used to do that when he was young (2001-2005). He had 100% attendance in the off-season programs. Got those attendance awards. There would be sightings of him posted on here at Foxwoods with some other teammates.

Not anymore. Naturally, everyone gets older. He has a couple of kids. He's married. In the offseason, he's gonna jet to Brazil to see his wife's family or he'll got CA to be with his family. Yeah, Welker went out there and they worked out together a few times at the UCLA field or whatever. But how cool would it have been for the rookies out here to see Brady at the rookie camp? For him to work with the new FAs early on?

Bruchi says something like "Tom Brady is not someone you have to worry about. He'll stay in shape." Yeah, that's not what I'm worried about. I expect he'll stay in shape. I'm worried about his leadership on the team by example.

Yes, his life is different now and his choices are those that we would all make. I recently scaled back my practice to spend more time with my kids. Less money, more responsiblity to my younger partners. I'll take on less complicated surgical cases. My choice. But it's a natural progression.

People are starting to talk about Brady much like they talked about Bledsoe back in the day. I hate it. I liked Bledsoe. I love Brady. And there are unfortunately those who only live by "what have you done for me lately?" fanhood. Total bull. If Brady has a couple of seasons (where the team sucks but numbers stay solid), guaranteed you'll see the "get him the F*ck out of here!!" threads. "Hoyer looked great, give him a chance."

Already, Brady is forcing passes, throwing critical interceptions (last year), fumbling on a key drive (against the Jets)....very Bledso-esque.

That's it. I'm done. Sorry for the long read. Flame away...

Bledsoe had a cement head at that time. I'm surprised parcells didn't cold c@ck him a few times. Does anyone remember the camera shots of them arguing? If we had HD then it would have made for good viewing.

Bledsoe had the ego you'd expect a quarterback picked first overall to have. :p

ETA: From my own perspective, Bledsoe and Parcells were pivotal in restoring my interest in the Pats after some very disappointing years.

Last edited:
He was the Savior. Am I the only one that remembers the pre-Bledsoe Patriots and how much the franchise turned around after he arrived? I'm only 31, not that old, I shouldn't be the only one.

im with ya...we were the laughing stock of the league for a long time until Bledsoe and Tuna turned it around. They started what BB/Brady are continuing today.

im with ya...we were the laughing stock of the league for a long time until Bledsoe and Tuna turned it around. They started what BB/Brady are continuing today.

Bledsoe, Tuna and the Flying Elvis finally made the Pats cool. :singing:

Last edited:

We were the Lions before the Lions were the Lions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back