PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi-OT: Assante Samuel among worst tackling starting CBs in the league

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDPPatsfan85

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Per Rotoworld-
According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, Eagles LCB Asante Samuel "may be the worst tackling starting cornerback in the league."
Though he continued to make big plays in coverage, Samuel struggled in run support last year and was called out by Andy Reid this offseason. According to Pro Football Focus, no cornerback in the league missed more tackles than Samuel's 19. The Eagles may give Kareem Jackson a long look at No. 24.

Bravo for BB and the FO letting him go :rocker:

Re: Semi-OT: Assante Samuel Among worst tackling Starting CB in the League

Per Rotoworld-

Bravo for BB and the FO letting him go :rocker:

Yea bravo, because we've been so successful right?

Yea bravo, because we've been so successful right?

BB has said that if you cant tackle then you have no chance on playing for the Patriots. So it was a good move. Would you spend top dollar on a starting CB that can't tackle? I know i wouldn't!

Quite sure that this has been brought up before, he is more of a playmaker than a consistent player..

BB has said that if you cant tackle then you have no chance on playing for the Patriots. So it was a good move. Would you spend top dollar on a starting CB that can't tackle? I know i wouldn't!

Its been discussed here many times over. We would have kept him at a very high number just not the number he actually got.

He is a very good player on the ball and while the ball is in the air. If you want him to tackle and help the run you got the wrong guy. Just look at his body type, hes not built to take down bigger guys.

And another ridiculous thread is born.......

Whatever makes you feel better right?

This was just brought up on rotoworld and i figure that Samuel is a former Patriot, I thought that you guys would get a kick out of it!

Go sit in a corner close to you. Do you realize Asante was franchised? BB would have kept him but not at the money he got. Might be the worst tackler but still one of the best CBs

Yeah,I am sooooooo happy we got rid of that double digit intercepting Samuel and have that young inspiring Springs and that Wilhite guy that is a pure shutdown corner.:rolleyes:

if it was deion sanders in his prime, yeah i would

well although I cant defend the contract that Philly floated him, it is worth noting that Samuel's departure should not really be celebrated by folks that have watched the 2nd round stud out of Colorado who was supposed to start the next 80 games at the position.

In the old days, it was injuries that killed the secondary (Law, poole, Harrison and wilson being replaced by a young Samuels, Gay, Hawkins and Sanders) but it wasn't really a big deal because the front 7 was so damn good that QBs couldn't expose the weakness in the passing game.

Nowadays, its just pure talent that is questionable. I like Bodden and Butler but the others are just a bit long in the tooth or just nice nickel players.

Last edited:

*Brandon Meriweather misses another tackle*

What a fantastic thread. Let me throw the first verbal punch: Asante Samuel is a better all around cornerback than anything we currently have on the roster.

:rocker:

Yeah,I am sooooooo happy we got rid of that double digit intercepting Samuel and have that young inspiring Springs and that Wilhite guy that is a pure shutdown corner.:rolleyes:

(cue the argument) "But, he's always 'right there' with his man" :rolleyes:

Asante Samuel is a poor tackler?!? I am shocked. It was never a secret here that he was not a good tackler. But he is a CB and tackling isn't everything for a CB.

Deion Sanders wasn't a poor tackler because I don't think he ever tried to make a tackle in his life. So how would we know if he was a poor tackler or not. It didn't stop him from being arguably the best CB of all time.

If Samuel didn't play coverage so well, his tackling would be more of an issue. But he was one of the top CBs in the league when he was here. He has degraded a bit in Philly, but he is still well above average.

Personally, I don't care anymore. He two years ago and there is no going back. If the Eagles, their fans, and the media are upset with his play now. It is their problem, not our's.

Asante tackles better than AD

My thinking exactly. Just another excuse for handbags at forty paces.

If Samuel was a good tackler, he would still be here. He was allowed to go because he had that deficiency in his game, and was going to be paid as if he had no deficiency.
Thats life under a cap, every player has a price and a value, and the value to us is not always the same as the value to other teams, not to mention that everyone doesnt assess every player the same.

If Samuel was a good tackler, he would still be here. He was allowed to go because he had that deficiency in his game, and was going to be paid as if he had no deficiency.
Thats life under a cap, every player has a price and a value, and the value to us is not always the same as the value to other teams, not to mention that everyone doesnt assess every player the same.

This is BS. Asante could have been our leading tackler and we still werent going to keep him. He was as good as gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back