Welcome to PatsFans.com

Self Identity vs. Social Identity

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Mar 13, 2012.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +191 / 3 / -10

I was reading a trade article for the business I'm in (CPG Industry) and a study was done on self-identity and social identity. Actually, it's been an on-going study for decades so companies understand the American consumer.

It appears Americans are worrying less and less about who they are as an individual and are now more concerned about "social identity". Which basically means that they are trying to find groups of others who seem similar to them/us.

It seems to me this is the natural result of "Social Networking"...i.e. MySpace, Facebook, Linkedin, etc.. And I believe it's a very negative trend as we all need to understand who we are as individuals so that we are able to remain consistent with our own values, not the values of some perceived group of others.

I also believe the increase in political partisanship is largely due to social identification.

"This above all: to thine own self be true,
    And it must follow, as the night the day,
    Thou canst not then be false to any man.
    Farewell, my blessing season this in thee!"

One can not and never will "find themselves" in a group of people.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +189 / 7 / -23

Why don't you cite the study, so folks can draw their own conclusions..

My self identity says I do not want to just assume your social identity conclusions..
  3. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +191 / 3 / -10

And that's a good thing Darryl! The article does not conclude if it's a good or bad thing...that is my opinion. Marketing people don't give their opinions on trends, they just report the facts.

The article was published by a global consultant called "Popai" in a magazine called "JMAR" (Journal of Mareting at Retail) and one can't find it online. Every member of our marketing dept. gets a free copy because we have a large contract with Popai.

POPAI | The Global Association for Marketing at Retail

If you'd like to comment on your perspective on whether social identity is more important than self-identify, that would be great. If not...to each their own.

A prime example of brands/products that people highly identify socially with is the Subaru brand of automobiles...especially the Outback! It is amazing how most Subaru owners fit into a nice neat little box of similar values & traits.
  4. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +189 / 7 / -23

Thanks for giving me permission.. but we shall see.

But the specific link might be helpful..
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Dumb study. I think we are all paranoid to some extent. Having said that....

One needs to look not further than most major cities to see that this isn't a product of social media etc. Its a product of some kind of human condition.

Ask yourself why Boston has a "Chinatown" or a "North End". Its natural to gravitate to people who look and think like you. Happens everywhere in america...Bible belt...New England....Tri State area....Upper mid west....Utah....

I'd venture to say that social media (Patsfans.com is a GREAT example) may open us up to MORE of a wide spectrum, of people.

Would Harry, Chico, PatriotsReign, Myself, PF13, Darryl and theMrs. talk to one another without this forum? Probably...but we wouldn't have a clue that each other existed without it.
  6. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +191 / 3 / -10

Areas like Chinatown, etc. are not due to the same kind of social identification that the article refers to. Chinatown and the North End are/were areas where people came together based upon similar background/language/appearances. but the article discusses how people are now being drawn together based upon common beliefs/values...or more importantly, PERCEIVED beliefs & values.

Someone may buy a Subaru or electric car because they believe it identifies a certain group they "feel" they belong to...as in "hey, I'm part of the green movement". They see someone else driving that car and feel a bond with them. Same could be said of Trader Joe's and Whold Foods. People (not all) feel good about buying organic/natural and also feel both chains represent their values.

My point is that no one can get a sense of self through social identification. Self Identity is far more important than social identity and should always precede social identity. But it seems people are struggling with self identity....
  7. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +191 / 3 / -10

Did you not read my post?

If you'd like to read it, you prolly have to pay for it.
  8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

you DO understand that you are posting this in an anonymous internet forum with people of varying backgrounds and a wide spectrum of views on issues...right

is that Ironic...or prolific?

not sure
  9. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +191 / 3 / -10

Of course...and you also realize one of my pet-peeves is people who stand by one party as if it represents them.

That's why I also say no party represents my values because I'm an individual with varying beliefs on topics.

I do hate social identifiers!:p

Bet you got a Subaru!:D
  10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +347 / 1 / -9

Liberals want everybody to be like them, I choose not too.
  11. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +357 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

But you don't mind impersonating one on the internet, do you? ROFL
  12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I drive a chrome ferrari, everyone on this board knows that.
  13. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +191 / 3 / -10

Awesome HD!!! You're an original! Be proud and stay thirsty my friend.
  14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +189 / 7 / -23

Instead you choose to follow along to the drumbeat of Drudge... and not question much of anything, if Matty says so it has to be right.
  15. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +191 / 3 / -10

I believe following any party platform lock-step is the act someone incapable of thinking for themselves.

Wouldn't you agree Darryl?

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.....

Self Identity vs. Social Identity

Which is more important to you folks?
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  16. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +357 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

WIthout access to your article it would be hard to say, wouldn't it?

I suppose it would have a lot to do with being either an introvert or an extrovert, too, wouldn't it?

I don't think too many people identify themselves with a "brand." I doubt people buy a car simply because they want to belong to that particular group of people who own that same car. I'd think that price, need and locale play a much larger part in that particular decision.
  17. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

For most vehicles I would agree. However Jeep (Wranglers) and Chevy Corvette Drivers are a breed onto themselves.

With all their fancy hand signals and what not :)
  18. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +191 / 3 / -10

The article did not imply people walk around thinking, "Hey, I'm a Trader Joe's person!". It did imply that when people are in the act of shopping and making a purchasing decision, then social identity becomes important.

It made a general statement that Americans are struggling with self identity more than they have in the past and that they are shifting to social identification.

It made me think of how partisanship has increased dramatically among Americans and how social identification may be playing a role in this transformation.

There are some people here who would not even consider giving a "like" to a member they view as being on "the other team". Almost as if they're an enemy...and that's what I think is a very sad trend.
  19. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +191 / 3 / -10

Why would anyone need to read an ariticle to give their opinion on whether Self Identity is more important than Social Identity?

Regardless of what any article says, what is your opinion on the above question. Seems like no one wants to touch this question.