Welcome to PatsFans.com

Segregation at American base offends Iraqis

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Aug 5, 2007.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +519 / 14 / -28

Came across this during my AM scanning of the news and blogs, guess some Iraqi's are offended by having different bathrooms and not able to share the ones the US does, reminds me of a different time in the US. Wonder if a little education might be helpful here?? Otoh, surprised to hear we are paying interpreters between 80K and 120K, who the f.. set this salary structure?? Is this a security issue or a lifestyle issue, here is an idea convene a congressional inquiry, spends thousands and then do nothing..

http://www.kansascity.com/news/world/story/217995.html

FORWARD OPERATING BASE WARHORSE, Iraq | The sign taped to the men’s latrine is just five lines:

“US Military Contractors Civilians Only!!!!!”

It needed only one: “No Iraqis.”

Here at this searing, dusty U.S. military base about four miles west of Baqouba, Iraqis — including interpreters who walk the same foot patrols and sleep in the same tents as U.S. troops — must use segregated bathrooms.

Another sign, in a dining hall, warns Iraqis and “third-country nationals” that they have just one hour for breakfast, lunch or dinner. American troops get three hours. Iraqis say they sometimes wait as long as 45 minutes in hot lines to get inside the chow hall, leaving just 15 minutes to get their food and eat it.

It has been nearly 60 years since President Harry S. Truman ended racial segregation in the U.S. military. But at Forward Operating Base Warhorse, it is alive and well, perhaps the only U.S. military facility with such rules, Iraqi interpreters here say.

Precisely who ordered the rules is unclear.

“The rule separating local national latrines from soldiers was enacted about two to three rotations ago,” Maj. Raul Marquez, a spokesman for the 3rd Brigade Combat Team of the 1st Cavalry Division, from Fort Hood, Texas, wrote in an e-mail.

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +813 / 2 / -9

----why----

3. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +519 / 14 / -28

Why ask why???

4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Winning Hearts and Minds

[​IMG]

5. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I'm sure the troops would appreciate your posting of this.

6. bmf31c

bmf31c Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Last edited: Aug 5, 2007
  7. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +813 / 2 / -9

Because I don't know Why.

8. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Ya know, I would have expected you to have addressed the topic of the thread. I never took you as someone who was thin-skinned or who couldn't interpret an illustration. This isn't about the troops, as you know. It is an illustration. The soldier, unfortunately, represents the military in Iraq. IT"S A METAPHOR! The military in Iraq has decided to segregate the FRIGGIN BATHROOMS! You don't see anything wrong with that?

9. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +813 / 2 / -9

They Don't Want To Get Shot When Their Pants Are Down

Remember, The Enemy All Look Alike Over There

If I Had A Son Over There I'd Hate To Be Told He Got Killed While He Was Taking A Sh!t.

WE ARE AT WAR.

Save The Looney Crap For Alabama

Last edited: Aug 5, 2007
  10. bmf31c

bmf31c Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I know what you are saying...and it doesn't bother me, I just think it's tasteless.
    I don't know why they segregate the toilets, the article gives several reasons. It's one FOB that does it, not the "military in Iraq."

Maybe the joes got tired or trying to shave in the same sink that a guy is washing his feet in. I tell you what, when I was in Korea I wished the KATUSA's had separate toilets. Cultures are different, and we look at what other people do as odd.

It doesn't say what the Iraqi toilet looks like....I bet it's the same exact facility. People ***** about having their rights refused all over the place. You used to have to be an NCO to go into the NCO club...but you can't segregate that anymore because someone will be offended. Same with the Officer's club etc etc.

Some translator thinks that they are giving away free door prizes and there is a porter to hand him a towel in the US toilet? I say we give door prizes to everyone and the Iraqis should have a porter in their toilet too. I don't know, the whole thing sounds silly to me. The Army has all kinds of dumb rules, but someone absolutely believes that the rule needs to be in place. At the end of the day, if it protects one American life, than so be it.

11. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

You're right...it was tasteless. But not nearly as counter-productive as the separate toilets policy. It still doesn't change the image. My intent was not to insult the soldier in the photo, but to show what I think most Iraqis think about being colonial subjects of the US. It also shows what any good American kid would do to an occupying force in the US, were that possible.

This is just the latest in a long string of policy fu-kups, whether it's by one CO or the Secretary of Defense. My point is that we are not winning the hearts and minds in Iraq. Their minds are not ours to win - they're not up for grabs by whoever wins the contest. The whole thing is silly.

12. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

According to ask.com, a Sergent with 3 years experience gets about 40k a year, while these interpreters are getting between 80 and 120. I understand it takes an exceptional person to be promoted to Sergent in three years btw, like Audie Murphy exceptional.

Now its just a guess on my part; but I expect that when the shooting starts nobody says 'Quick, somebody get those Sergents out of here before they get hurt!!'

So I'm not really seeing an insult here. I don't wanna brush my teeth in a sink where some dude just washed his stinky feet.

13. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

It doesn't matter what you or I think, does it? We're not the ones who the military have to convince that our occupation is good. I'm pretty sure the hearts and minds of Iraqis are the target

14. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -12

Think the Iraqi interpeters might be the targets of murder by the bad guys while at home?

15. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Who are the bad guys? The ones with the black hats?

16. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +813 / 2 / -9

I Do Not Want To Lower My Trousers And Have A Bowel Movement Surrounded By Middle Eastern Looking Men With Beards Who Are Wearing White Dresses
    :bricks:

17. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

So let me get this straight. This administration hired people to build a better Iraq asking them questions concerning their views on Roe vs Wade, and who did they vote for in the last two Presidential elections, and hired these individuals on basis of their beliefs over qualifications is ok with American contractors discriminatory practices. Because you know, they have no control over those contractors in which they are paying billions of dollars.

18. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

That's quite an improvement, Boy. Last week you would have done that in a heartbeat, right?:D :rocker:

19. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +227 / 6 / -3

#91 Jersey

Reading this got me to thinking. That there must all kinds of things in the day to day life of someone in the service deals with that none of us know about,or even would consider takes place. EX. Shaving,brushing your teeth,or washing your face in a sink that someone else washed their feet in.Or when we went into Bosnia. The guy's couldn't take a shower for weeks. These things wouldn't be considered worthy enough to be covered. But still are just another thing you guys have to deal with that the average citizen would say theres NO WAY am I going to go through that.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2007
  20. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +519 / 14 / -28

I guess it is ok to pay Iraqi interpreters between 80-120K per year,while our soldiers continue to plod along in 113 degree temps.. surrounded by high paying "security contractors".. something has gone very wrong here, the more I read the more I admire our fighting men and women, and as time goes on their motivation to support their brothers and sisters in arms becomes more obvious. Not sure any of this is about the WOT or bringing democracy to the Iraqi people, but about supporting the men and women with boots on the ground.