PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seely to meet with kickers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
According to KFFL, Brad Seely will meet with kickers Huston on the 10th, Hughes on the 11th and Gostowski on the 12th...so who will they pick of the 3???

Pats726 said:
According to KFFL, Brad Seely will meet with kickers Huston on the 10th, Hughes on the 11th and Gostowski on the 12th...so who will they pick of the 3???
This is a smoke screen. They will sign UDFA Ben Jones.

We just signed Gramatica, what's he wasting his time for ? :D

I kind of like Hughes myself but I've never seen any of them kick,

BelichickFan said:
We just signed Gramatica, what's he wasting his time for ? :D

I kind of like Hughes myself but I've never seen any of them kick,
They're all "egh" guys.

Hughes wont be able to do kickoffs in the pros not a strong leg at all and his mechanics are known to be horrible.

I like Huston more because of his outdoor and bad weather experience. Took over for Mike Nugent at THE Ohio state university. For his career he hasn't been that great hitting 25 of 38. But has the power to hit 50+ yard FG's

SeanBruschi54 said:
They're all "egh" guys.
Yeah, it's not a good year for kickers. Maybe Gramatica's surgery will put him back to 2002 :) Gostkkowski may be the better choice, he has a pretty good leg and solid accuracy numbers in college. None of them are exciting though.

SeanBruschi54 said:
I like Huston more because of his outdoor and bad weather experience. Took over for Mike Nugent at THE Ohio state university. For his career he hasn't been that great hitting 25 of 38. But has the power to hit 50+ yard FG's
The good thing about Huston is he was 22 of 28 last year, his 3 of 10 as a freshman drags his career numbers down - plus he knows what it's like to replace a top kicker :)

Pats726 said:

Actually, John Tomase, of the Boston Herald, reported this first.

spacecrime said:
I think a few kickers will be brought in...I would even bet one may make it to the Practice Sqd

SeanBruschi54 said:
They're all "egh" guys.

Hughes wont be able to do kickoffs in the pros not a strong leg at all and his mechanics are known to be horrible.

Most of these kids have the "power" to hit 50+, it's the accuracy at that distance that eludes them. Huston's college long was 47. He was only 3-6 from 40+ and 0-2 at 50+. And realistically regardless of where they kick few college kickers have much real cold weather experience since the regular season is over in early December and their bowl games are played in warm weather venues.

Huston also has only one season as a rare 6th year senior starter on his resume. And he missed 2 full seasons due to knee and hip injuries.

Pats726 said:
Glas of North Dakota of course. :p

spacecrime said:

Yup...I see that also...but, it never hurts to be a pig and draft one and sign one as a UDFA...I see a minimum of 3 kickers in camp, possibly 4 if Belichick grabs an NFL Europe kicker when the season is finished.

MoLewisrocks said:
Most of these kids have the "power" to hit 50+, it's the accuracy at that distance that eludes them. Huston's college long was 47. He was only 3-6 from 40+ and 0-2 at 50+.
Is that good or bad? Last year Vinatieri was 4-8 from 40+ and 0-2 from 50+, and Vinatieri is worth 3-4 mil a year evidently. At least that is what we "should" have paid to keep him.

F.B.N. said:
Yup...I see that also...but, it never hurts to be a pig and draft one and sign one as a UDFA...I see a minimum of 3 kickers in camp, possibly 4 if Belichick grabs an NFL Europe kicker when the season is finished.
Agreed..maybe 1 from the CFL as well or?? Believe me, BB will come up with a solid kicker one way or another.

The guy I like is Stephen Gostkowski for several reasons. He's very accurate, a god overall athlete by Kicker standards - similar to Vinatieri, and he blew everyone away at the Sr. Bowl kicking competition. His probably needs some more technique work - which I'm sure the Pats' coaches could help him with and his leg strength is not great, probably similar to AV's.

Several years ago we wondered how Tuna could drop his long time kicker , Matt Bahr, for a totally unknown kicker from North Dakota State.

PATSNUTme said:
Several years ago we wondered how Tuna could drop his long time kicker , Matt Bahr, for a totally unknown kicker from North Dakota State.

This fella from North Dakota must have been cut the next day.

Adamplayed for South Dakota State. He is from South Dakota. He lives not very far from Rapid City. Which is close to another town that you might have heard of...Sturgis.

Last edited:
North Dakota/South Dakota does anyone really know the difference?

PATSNUTme said:
North Dakota/South Dakota does anyone really know the difference?
Does anyone really care? Bismark, Pierre, whatever. The Dakotas make Montana and Idaho look downright cosmopolitan.

bucky said:
The guy I like is Stephen Gostkowski for several reasons. He's very accurate, a god overall athlete by Kicker standards - similar to Vinatieri, and he blew everyone away at the Sr. Bowl kicking competition. His probably needs some more technique work - which I'm sure the Pats' coaches could help him with and his leg strength is not great, probably similar to AV's.

Gostkowski is the best of the three. Last year:

22/25 on FG's
9/9 from 40+
35/35 on extra points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back