PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seeing the Draft in full

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brettlax3434

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
The Draft
Going into the draft I felt that the Patriots needed to address the pass rush, the offensive line, and the running back positions; especially the pass rush. Coming out of this draft with a DE or OLB who could get to the quarterback was absolutely essential. My dream first round was moving up to get Robert Quinn and taking Ingram at 28. The way the draft turned out, we had an opportunity to make my dream come true. Due to quarterbacks going early, the Patriots could have easily traded up in front of the Rams and selected Quinn. Instead BB elected to stay put at 17 and select Nate Solder; a good selection. Solder is a book end LT who will most likely be with the team for a decade. Protecting Brady is always essential. The next Patriot pick was at 28, and sure enough Mark Ingram was available. I was very excited with the prospect of selecting Ingram, or at the very least a DE/OLB who can rush the QB. BB traded out; devastating. To add insult to injury the Saints selected Ingram with the pick. At the end of Day 1 I was unhappy. Looking back, I should not have been. The patriots added a franchise LT, received a first round pick, and moved back 28 spots to the 56 pick. I assumed at the very least we would address the pass rush in the second round.

The second day arrived, and with the 33 pick BB selected Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia. WHAT THE F. Once again BB did not address the pass rush; however, taking a step back I now realize what he did do. Ensure that we have a dominant secondary. McCourty is back from a pro bowl year, Bodden is back from injury and Dowling projects to be a good cover corner. Our secondary which was abysmal a season ago has now added two legit cover corners. At the very least that will make the passing defense better, at least one would think. Arrington, our second corner from a season ago, is now our fourth. This is a very good thing. With the next two selections BB addressed one of the needs I identified prior to the draft; running back. Selecting Vereen and Ridley. At first I was angry that we selected vereen in front of Lashoure. Now I realize I was wrong. Who cares what Kiper and McShay think. Our scouts must believe Vereen will be a better player. After looking at his highlight tape, I may agree (YouTube - Shane Vereen Cal Highlights), Vereen could prove to be a very good running back, and if his career rivals Ingram’s then trading back will prove the right move. Ridley should also improve the running game. To me he looks like a better version of the Law firm. Our running game should be much improved. The next pick was Mallett. A pick I liked at the time, especially seeing how the Favre, Rodgers scenario played out. Eventually we will have to replace Brady, and Mallett presented great Value. To end the day we traded a 3rd and 4th for the Raiders second next year. Again a move I liked. At the end of day two I wasn’t overwhelmingly happy, again I was wrong. BB was able to strengthen the pass defense, improve the running game, find a potential heir to Brady, and gain a second round pick next season. The team had improved.

To start Day three the Patriots selected Marcus Conner, this is where I believe I started to understand BB’s vision. Conner is a mauler at 6’5’ 350. He has cancer; however should he return this year he will provide us with an extremely powerful guard. Put him next to Volmer, on the same line with Mankins, and Solder, and all of a sudden we have a massive line. Combined with the new running backs, the tight ends on the roster and the Patriots will have a powerful running game. Teams will be forced to choose between stacking the box to stop the run and having Brady carve them up. A scary prospect for defenses. A power run game will also take some of the pressure off Brady and prevent him from getting hit as much. We cannot allow Brady to keep receiving the punishment he has over the last few years. He is getting older. BB likely wants to give Brady the same kind of help Terrell Davis gave Elway during the latter years of his career. Continuing the trend, the next pick was Lee Smith, coined “the best blocking TE in the draft”. He should provide a good replacement to Crumpler, who’s contract ends at the end of the season. We capped the day with an OLB and CB. Developmental projects, so who knows?

In sum, I actually like the draft a lot. BB failed to address what I, and many believed was the Patriots most glaring need; the pass rush. However, BB did add a good CB, who along with McCourty and Bodden, should make a very formidable secondary. The pass defense will be improved. If Warren comes back healthy, and Cunningham and Spikes develop, then our pass rush will be improved as well. Time will tell, although I do believe Cunningham will be much better. The defense should be improved from last season. The offense is definitely improved. We added a bookend LT to replace an aging Matt Light, who was not the best run blocker. We added Conner, who hopefully we will get to see this season. If he does, we will have a dynamic, powerful run blocking offensive line. If he doesn’t come back, at least we have Connolly. We then added Vereen, and Ridley to run behind the line. Like I said, who cares what Kiper’s rankings are? One of them is right; I’m hoping its BB. Finally, we added a possible heir to Brady. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to endure losing football for five years when Brady retires. If there is a good QB at good value, take him. Along with this, the Patriots have two first round picks, and two second round picks next year. A pretty good day if you ask me. I would have liked a pass rusher, but who knows, maybe we will add one in free agency. If not, it’s up to guys like Cunningham to develop.

Last edited:
Punctuation is your friend. That was incredibly difficult to read Brettlax3434.

Damn I really can't read it, but If you are addressing about looking at the big picture instead of needs as of right now, then you are right about that

omgtextwall

Nothing wrong with the philosophy:

OG and RB were the biggest immediate needs, and BB addressed them. He chose to help the defense by going DB rather than Front 7; given that the Front 7 is young and has Warren returning, that's a legitimate choice.

EVERYBODY is a rookie risk, of course. Dowling and Cannon are health risks as well; Cannon in particular could have his development delayed even if all is good in the end. So we'll see.

It's all a gamble; BB just makes his best analysis-based gut feel choice of how to play the odds.

It's really hard to call RB a huge need when we had the only RB to rush for over 1,000 yds in the AFC east last year, and a guy people voted for the Madden 2012 cover.

Can't argue with picking up offensive linemen. Always a good choice, they're just not that exciting.

I would much much MUCH rather have a new linemen or even a linebacker than a DB on the current roster. This was the year to find Seymour's replacement. Yeah, people are coming back this year, but depth is sorely needed. This defense relies on an immovable 3 up front. I hope Marcus Stroud can contribute.

very well done brett lax. very nice.

It's really hard to call RB a huge need when we had the only RB to rush for over 1,000 yds in the AFC east last year, and a guy people voted for the Madden 2012 cover.

Wear and tear. You just have to assume even a pair of RBs will show some breakage over the course of a season.

And when guys are exceptions to that rule, they often break down after a couple of years -- i.e., within the horizon you draft for.

Yeah, I know the truly great ones usually last longer than that, albeit not as long as truly great players at other positions. But otherwise you need a whole bag of RBs.

Last edited:
Nice thread.. contend that this team is being rebuilt in front of our eyes, a lot of fans want the quick fix method.. but this team has reloaded through the draft and many components which were considered weak or old, have been upgraded.

It will continue to improve through free agency and trades.. but overall this was a very good draft.. and this team is built for the long haul.

Well...after witnessing the entire draft i've had some time to cool down and i get the general idea of what he is trying to accomplish. I pray to god that Cannon heals and proves to be a monster at guard for us...all 340+ pounds of him. OL is the #1 factor of success other than a QB and ours look like a monsterous one for next year and the future.

The O is going to get the job done next year but our defense remains a question mark. I hope we can land some talent through free agency.

Nice thread.. contend that this team is being rebuilt in front of our eyes, a lot of fans want the quick fix method.. but this team has reloaded through the draft and many components which were considered weak or old, have been upgraded.

It will continue to improve through free agency and trades.. but overall this was a very good draft.. and this team is built for the long haul.

Yeah, I think BB is big into predicting what problems the team will have in the future rather then only looking at the problems we had last season. As fans we all cry for a pass rush but we often forget to predict future problems. For example, an ageing offensive line.

Good level headed thoughts.

I agree with many points raised.

Going into the draft the team needs were IMO, on the order of importance

Pressure on passing and 3rd downs, OL, RB, Secondary, WR.

Perhaps it was a sign when BB signed M.Stroud that he would not focus on the front 7 in the draft. Perhaps the players truly didn't fit his system, or they were too expensive drafting them high, or BB simply thought the players currently on the team has enough talent, but just lacked experience, and he wants to give them time to produce.

My take here is that the OL is transitioning and players getting old or end of contracts. Time to reload, and reload in a completely different way. The last few playoff losses, the OL was too porous for whatever reason. Instead of having a smaller and more agile line, he is now going the tall powerful line. You are going to need a pretty tall QB to be able to see over this new line, is this BB's ultimate plan with Mallet?

Even with BJGE as the established back, there was no question that we needed TWO more backs to replace morris and Taylor. We needed a home run threat and a brusier. Plenty of people are saying that vereen will replace faulk, but I don't see it that way. Woodhead has already established himself as Faulk's successor. I see vereen challenging or contributing to the primary back role. From what I see I like the guy. takes one cut and accelerates into the hole. His cuts are also into the direction of the line, none of the maroney happy feet sideways cuts.

As for secondary, it has always been a need for one or two more DB. other tha bodden and mccourty, there is no other backup CB. The other CBs are more suitable for interior slot coverage.

Overall i say this is a solid B draft. filled in plenty of needs, nothing sexy. high ceiling players with some perceived tradeoffs or needs coaching up.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with the philosophy:

OG and RB were the biggest immediate needs, and BB addressed them. He chose to help the defense by going DB rather than Front 7; given that the Front 7 is young and has Warren returning, that's a legitimate choice.

EVERYBODY is a rookie risk, of course. Dowling and Cannon are health risks as well; Cannon in particular could have his development delayed even if all is good in the end. So we'll see.

It's all a gamble; BB just makes his best analysis-based gut feel choice of how to play the odds.

As suspected, the draft was weak in talent and the selection of both a starter-quality QB and two players with health risks speaks to that.

Can't argue with picking up offensive linemen. Always a good choice, they're just not that exciting.

I would much much MUCH rather have a new linemen or even a linebacker than a DB on the current roster. This was the year to find Seymour's replacement. Yeah, people are coming back this year, but depth is sorely needed. This defense relies on an immovable 3 up front. I hope Marcus Stroud can contribute.

I might be alone on this, but I wouldn't correlate a candidate for Madden 2012 as necessarily being a franchise running back.

In seriousness, this draft reflected where Bill Belichick wants to take this team and I think it started last season with the selection of Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez, followed by trading Randy Moss to the Vikings. It's hard to project how successful Belichick will be in this new scheme and I'm sure much of the success with derive from the ability of these players to meet his expectations.

If the Patriots were transitioning their offense toward the running game, why not select Mark Ingram?

1. First round running backs are expensive.

2. Belichick planned on a running back by committee from the start, whereas Ingram is a franchise back that would still need to be complimented in what Belichick wants to accomplish.

3. The Pats could get more for giving up the pick to New Orleans than they think they could from Ingram.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes