Welcome to PatsFans.com

Security relaxed at Obama speech

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by weswelker#83, Feb 21, 2008.

1. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

DALLAS, Feb. 21 (UPI) -- The Secret Service told Dallas police to stop screening for weapons while people were still arriving at a campaign rally for Barack Obama, a report said.

Police stopped checking people for weapons at the front gates of Reunion Arena more than an hour before the Democratic presidential hopeful appeared on stage Wednesday, the Fort Worth (Texas) Star-Telegram reported.

Police said the order to stop using metal detectors and checking purses and laptop bags constituted a security lapse, the newspaper reported.

Dallas Deputy Police Chief T.W. Lawrence -- who heads the department's homeland security and special operations divisions -- told the Star-Telegram the order had been intended to speed up seating of the more than 17,000 people who came to hear the candidate speak.

Lawrence said he was concerned about the large number of people being let in without being screened, but that the crowd seemed "friendly," the newspaper said.

Several Dallas police officers -- speaking on condition of anonymity because the order came from federal officers -- told the newspaper it was worrying to see so many people get it without even a cursory inspection.

The Star-Telegram said the Secret Service did not return a call seeking comment.

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Top_News/2008/02/21/report_security_relaxed_at_obama_speech/8649/
  2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +60 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

You mean they didn't have to bust out the pope,ahh Obama mobile? :D
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +430 / 5 / -2

It's Texas. Don't they know everybody has a gun?
  4. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

I worry for Barrack's safety, to be honest. In my opinion, the NWO-types won't hesitate to pull a book depository on a minority president.

This breech in security needs to be investigated.
  5. jcdavey

jcdavey Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

i wouldn't be surprised if something happens

i just don't think america is ready for a black president.

probably never will be.

it only takes one nutjob.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +264 / 10 / -26

Read this, it is very concerning, as this election unfolds there are a lot of conspiracy theories generating in my feeble brain.
  7. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Pray to God that nothing happens to Obama. And, yes, contact your Congressman, Senators, and the FBI, anybody you can think of to express your concern over the safety of all the candidates. We absolutely don't need what happened in Pakistan recently. There are those who would relish chaos, and an attack on Obama would surely bring that.

//
  8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Un-freaking-believable!
    It's not paranoia when they're out to get you, huh?
    Looks like the order came from Secret Service.
    Interesting that CNN, FOX, CBS and MSNBC have nothing on their sites referring to this.

If anything happens to this guy,...OMFG!
  9. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +60 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

When I scaned the thread title I thought it was unusual,but I took it at face value.I miss read it. Now that I've gone back and read it fully it brings up a concern I've had since Obama started his campaign. his safety. In truth if he gets elected he most likely will need something akin to a Pope mobile which is pretty sad in this day and age.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +430 / 5 / -2

My guess is that they stopped checking an hour before because with 17,000 people there, at that point, some dope sneaking in a hand gun isn't going to get close enough to hit the stage, nevermind a person. 17,000 people is the Boston Garden. That's the only somewhat rationale explanation I can come up with. Outside of that it's very odd to say the least. I don't know if they've done this for other candidates, but maybe the fact that they've really never had a political rally draw such crowds has made them unprepared for the flow of people? Let's face it, John Kerry in 2004, George Bush or Al Gore in 2000, etc. probably never drew a quarter of that sum at any single event. This is unchartered territory, or at least, territory we haven't crossed in a long, long time. Still though, I'd like to know why they decided to stop checking people.
  11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +534 / 2 / -9

Obama will be the next president it's almost a done deal that is now pretty clear, and all through his term everytime anybody dares to criticize him or disagree with him people like you will come scurrying out of their holes blubbering and whailing about "Racism" if your White, your a White Jessie Jackoff, you people love people like Imus, they give you a chance to show how wonderful you are.............:singing: