PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Secondary

Status
Not open for further replies.

farn

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Been thinking quite a bit about the backfield lately. Seems as though there are many varying opinions about it.

What is the actual situation right now ? I suppose there is reason for optimism, with McCourty's emergeance and Bodden's return. But are we really that great back there ? What if McCourty takes a step backwards or Bodden doesn't regain his form ? Also, though Chung seems to be universally praised, have the Patriots become disenchanted with Merriweather (as reported) and is Sanders as valable as BB seems to feel he is ?

I'd actually like to hear your input because I don't know if I should be worried or confident.

Some will always worry. Some will trust Bill no matter what.

IMHO, our secondary is better than last year. Compared to 2010, we've ADDED Bodden and Dowling. Also, Arrington and Chung are more experienced.

In addition, our front seven is improved over 2010. This should also improve the performance of the secondary.

Four of five years ago we were bringing in the Hank Poteats of the world off the street and asking Troy to play 2 way. Would guess that BB realized that this was probably not the best approach to deal with all of this.

Singing Bodden, drafting McCourty, Dowling, Chung, Meriweather, Sanders and the rest of them herald a team that has improved significantly..

Still missing is a Rodney Harrison type player, a playmaker that can change the tone of the defense.. perhaps it will be Chung who made tremendous strides last year.

Not a huge fan of Meriweather, but for some reason the coaches and other players get him to the pro bowl.. so I am missing something. His major issue is that he would much rather freelance, than "do his job"..

With a different defensive line, expect that we will not be near the bottom on third down conversions this year very optimistic about this group.

Been thinking quite a bit about the backfield lately. Seems as though there are many varying opinions about it.

What is the actual situation right now ? I suppose there is reason for optimism, with McCourty's emergeance and Bodden's return. But are we really that great back there ? What if McCourty takes a step backwards or Bodden doesn't regain his form ? Also, though Chung seems to be universally praised, have the Patriots become disenchanted with Merriweather (as reported) and is Sanders as valable as BB seems to feel he is ?

I'd actually like to hear your input because I don't know if I should be worried or confident.

If you want to look at it that way then every fan of all 32 teams could or should have a similar concern about every position on every team. To me the depth as well as quality of the defensive backfield of the Patriots should be the very least concern of any fan of the Pats.

But to answer your question, after Bodden or McCourty there is Arrington, Butler, Dowling and Wilhite. No, probably not as good as Bodden or McCourty, but that's to be expected from guys listed as backups on a depth chart. But let me ask this: what team is deeper at CB? What team has a better alternative as a number three safety?

It's just not realistic to expect your team to have All-Pros as backups in case somebody gets hurt. Besides, young players do unexpectedly step up when called upon, as we saw with Arrington and Connolly last year. I know some of the nay-sayers like to make fun of the optimists here, but there is a valid reason for the IBBWT mantra: the coaching staff has a proven track record.

Don't worry about, enjoy the ride, and let it all ride out and see what happens.

Some of you guys are clinically negative - a great trade/FA period - resigned our best O-lineman to a long term deal.....

...and you want to worry about a rookie regressing who made the Probowl in his first year?

You need to start enjoying things when they are good because they won't always be.

If Bodden returns to 2009 form (all indications from camp are good) and McCourty plays at 2010 level then is the best CB tadem the Patriots have had since 2003 Law/Poole (I don't believe Law and Samuel even played together for a whole season).

I'm feeling pretty darn good about the secondary this year. Meriweather gets criticism, but he's still a solid player. Not sure he'll be back next year, but for now, there are things far worse than having BMW as your starting safety. With Chung and brown, I can also sleep at night.

And there's enough depth at CB that one of the trainwrecks that have been wilhite and butler will be gone. There's even hope here for one of them, butler has been said to look good so far this year.

I feel good about the corners. Bodden, McCourty, and Ras-I Dowling should be good enough. The safety position is more troubling. Meriweather is awful and Chung needs to get better.

I feel good about the corners. Bodden, McCourty, and Ras-I Dowling should be good enough. The safety position is more troubling. Meriweather is awful and Chung needs to get better.

If Meriweather is awful, why do his peers and coaches vote him to the Pro Bowl?? At least 2/3 of the voters think he deserves to be there.

The somewhat souring on Chung around here is a huge surprise to me. He was an absolute play maker last year. Whether key tackles, interceptions or blocked kicks, he was always changing the outcome of the game. Now I understand every player should always strive to get better but I don't believe Chung to be a replaceable guy. He brings something special to the team and has enormous potential for someone so young.

As for BM, he is held to a higher standard because of his seniority and pro bowl status. As such he makes way too many mistakes but the talent level required to replace him is far greater than is often portrayed. However I do think that for his salary level, he is replaceable. I don't really get that spark from him, at least not so much anymore. Maybe he will prove me wrong by having a really stellar year.

Last edited:
I expect the secondary to be a strenght considering everyone's high on Bodden.If its not anything less then that, then its a huge dissapointment!

I expect the secondary to be a strenght considering everyone's high on Bodden.If its not anything less then that, then its a huge dissapointment!

I also think that Matt Patricia may make a difference with the safeties..

Last edited:
Some of you guys are clinically negative - a great trade/FA period - resigned our best O-lineman to a long term deal.....

...and you want to worry about a rookie regressing who made the Probowl in his first year?

You need to start enjoying things when they are good because they won't always be.

I completely agree. Im very optimistic and think the only the thing that will keep us from winning it all is another case of the injury bug.

Also kudos on the very relevant username. That last sentence coupled with your name definitely made me chuckle.

I am in full on "In BB we trust mode", they should have the horses

Bodden - targeted free agent
McCourty - 1st round pick, probowl
Merriweather - 1st round pick, probowl.. in kind of a weird way
Ras Dowling - 2nd round pick (33 overall)
Chung - 2nd round pick
Butler - 2nd round pick

Sanders - steady veteran
Arrington - held up well under fire last year
Wilhite - an ok 3rd or 4th option

IMO the strength of the Secondary resides in McCourty, Bodden, and Chung. These are 3 guys that I fully expect to have great years. The only thing I worry about there is Boddens shoulder. Chung and McCourty are only getting better and Bodden has proven his talents.

There is one more starter needed and with the above 3 being so good I think it is of little consequence who it is Sanders or Merriweather one is more skilled the other is more reliable neither is terrible and the other only makes the depth better.

If the 5 above wasnt enough talent you can add in Arrington who I think is awesome depth. A guy who started last year and should be able to fill that Nickle role excellently (though he may line up outside with Bodden kicking in to the slot).

Now we are 6 deep in the defensive backfield and we still haven't mentioned the number 33 overall draft pick Ras-I. We still haven't mentioned Sergio who is a pretty good STer and stepped up when needed at Safety last year. Oh and we still have guys like Butler and Whilhite who may not have lived up to potential yet but are still young and the switch could go on.

Would I be against making that 4th starter someone who is as skilled as Merriweather and as reliable as Sanders of course not but am I clamoring for it no way. I only have two concerns back there one I mentioned already and that is Boddens Shoulder and the other is how to fit everyone into the 53.

The way I see it, this secondary last year came up with the most interceptions in the game, playing behind a front seven that could be considered mediocre (at best) at creating pressure. I think it would take a lot of injuries/bad luck for it to get WORSE, and I can think of several ways it can get better:

Young guys (McCourty, Wilhite, Butler, Arrington, Chung) progress and get better.

Bodden returns and is close to 2009.

Dowling contributes as a rookie.

But again, even if none of these things happen, we're the same as last year, which was pretty good.

Thanks for all the responses.

In regards to "being worried" and "not enjoying what we have" - perhaps I used the wrong lingo. Obviously I am not in a state of panic or jumping off a bridge at the thought of the guys NE has back there...

I was just wondering what the confidence level was out there for that part of the team. Must say that I was surprised that not one of you was even slightly worried.

Hoping the optimism expressed is warranted.

(btw : I loved that Poteat, Brown, Moreland fiasco ! IT was hilarious to watch a rag tag gang go all the way !)

But again, even if none of these things happen, we're the same as last year, which was pretty good.

If Brady plays amazing again, but to me I see less pressure on both sides, the defense isn't as young and Brady doesn't have to score every drive because the defense isn't as young. To me the secondary is great, the weakness of the defense is suddenly the LB core imo, outside of Mayo I don't trust anyone.

I love how both sides help each other out. I can see us getting passed on early and ran on when behind but I still see the turnovers and such and overall we should win more games than last year (including playoffs). Remember McCourty and Bodden will do good against the first two options, by the time a third option is seen the QB might be on his ass, that is the difference.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey