PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Secondary vs GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

SalemPats

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
This should be a great battle. I love how BB has used Revis/Browner the last 3 weeks, Devin has been playing at an all-pro level with them.

This is our toughest battle yet. We play against the most accurate QB and face off against two elite speed WRs. This one will be interesting.

I don't think you want Browner on Cobb, but Jordy vs Browner isn't too appealing, especially with Rodgers mobility in the pocket.

My guess

Option 1:
Revis shadows Jordy and we play a man/zone (perhaps even a 2 deep safety). Arrington sees a lot of time on Cobb
Option 2:
Browner on Jordy with help, Revis follows Cobb
Option 3:
Revis/Browner stay on their side, perhaps moving Revis a bit more around to cover the hot guy.

Red Zone options:
Revis was on Megatron in their red zone, Cobb and Nelson are both scoring at a high rate, my guess is Revis stays on Cobb

I think Tedy Bruschi nailed this in his chat yesterday:

Brandon (TX) [via mobile]: Tedy what kind of game planning do you envision this week from New England defensively? Revis/Nelson and browner/Cobb? Do you see Green Bay's run game as a threat? or do they just let the DBs and rest of the defense duke it out like the past couple of weeks?

Tedy: I see similar combinations this week. There are two similar threats with Randall Cobb and Jordy Nelson to match up against. There will probably be some specific matchups in the red area, but overall, this is a different quarterback. Matthew Stafford looked confused and he wasn't up for the challenge yesterday. To beat this Patriots defense, your third and fourth options must have productive days. Jeremy Ross, Eric Ebron and Corey Fuller didn't get the job done for the Lions.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/boston/chat/_/id/51387

The Pats have the ability to match up with Nelson and Cobb, and they will also focus on limiting Eddie Lacy, and keeping Rodgers from running. So it really comes down to whether Green Bay has the additional weapons to give the Pats problems, or to the Pats making mistakes. I don't think that Andrew Quarrels, Richard Rodgers and Davante Adams can beat the Pats, so unless there are major breakdowns and the Pats allow Aaron Rodgers to extend plays and take advantage of those, I don't see GB having enough diversity to really do a lot of damage.

I think Tedy Bruschi nailed this in his chat yesterday:

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/boston/chat/_/id/51387

The Pats have the ability to match up with Nelson and Cobb, and they will also focus on limiting Eddie Lacy, and keeping Rodgers from running. So it really comes down to whether Green Bay has the additional weapons to give the Pats problems, or to the Pats making mistakes. I don't think that Andrew Quarrels, Richard Rodgers and Davante Adams can beat the Pats, so unless there are major breakdowns and the Pats allow Aaron Rodgers to extend plays and take advantage of those, I don't see GB having enough diversity to really do a lot of damage.

I agree, outside of Nelson/Cobb they don't have any dangerous threats that can beat an arrington in coverage or give someone like Collins fits in pass coverage. But Nelson/Cobb in my opinion are more dangerous than Megatron/Tate or DT/Sanders mainly because Rodgers is so damn accurate and mobile. Last week Zimmer played a 2 - deep Safety and dared Lacy and co. to beat them. It did contain them a bit. Minny has a bad defense, but Nelson/Cobb did not have the monster games they did in previous weeks. The way our run defense is playing and GBs average O-Line i think we can hold Lacy in check. I'm excited to see what BB does to make life hard for Rodgers. They will have to keep up with us in a shootout.

I dont like Browner on Nelson, I think Nelson is too quick for him but maybe it just looks that way because Browner is so dam big and doesn't look fast.

I think it depends on where cobb lines up.

If Cobb is in the slot, then Arrington will have him with safety help.

Revis will be on Nelson and browner on the big tight end.

If Cobb lines up outside, revis will take him. Browner will get Nelson with safety help over the top and Chung/Collins will get the big tight end.

Either way, job one is shut down Lacey and force Rogers to throw all afternoon long. The mystery element is how to keep rogers from running on third down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back