PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Secondary - Questions Answered

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Three players weren't playing very well as defensive backs: Gay, Wilson and Sanders. The question was the wuality of outr backups. We found out today. Props to Chad Scott, Hawkins and Poteat.

I want Hobbs back as a healthy starter. However, I'm content with having Wilson as a backup. Sanders may never see the field except in garbage time.
We again have depth!!! Seriously, Poteat has replaced Gay, and Hawkins and Chad Scott have demonstrated that we have a deep secondary.

We now have the following depth chart
CB: Samuel,Hobbs,Scott,Poteat
S: Harrison,Hawkins,Wilson
S/ST: Andrews,Sanders,Spann

We do indeed have serious depth, with six starting quality defensive backs.

mgteich said:

We have bodies but not a lot of impact players. They played well today but I'm not exactly wow'ed by their consistency or take away potential.

There are a lot of question marks back there.

I don't think Wilson will be supplanted as a starter.

NEM said:
Hobbs is a good nickel back, but as a starter, he sucks and is far too small for today's bigger receivers, espercially on quick insde moves off of the line of scrimmage. He can not cover them at his size.

Hobbs is going to be the Patriots' best CB by the end of the next season if not this one. Despite continual wet dreams fans have about size at CB the league has a lot more 5'10" quality CBs than 6'4" ones.

Moreoever Hobbs is more physical and a better tackler than Samuel so I don't know where you're coming from with this.

I suspect that you are correct. Personally, I would start Hawkins.

JackBauer said:
I don't think Wilson will be supplanted as a starter.

NEM said:
Watch the games more closely. Teams will go after Hobbs continually inside, and he HAS to make the tackles cause his guy has already caught the ball.
No offense but sometimes I think you see things in your head that just haven't happened. Like when you said CJ made that jump ball catch over 3 guys against NYJ. There was only one defender. And that the Pats small CB's were continually getting beat on 3rd downl slants(after the NYJ game). I counted one after watching again yesterday. You blame McDaniels for his play calling and want him canned, but you have absolutely no idea if he's the one making the calls.

Anyway, I thought the secondary did a great job, but alot of it had to do with the good constant pass rush. There were a couple of plays though where there was no pass rush and Palmer still had no place to go.

I also think that Hobbs makes our secondary better, but Wilson is just too inconsistent.

Last edited:
IWe understand that your opinion is that Hobbs sux. Obviously, you think that bb is a lousy judge of defensive backs. However, he makes the decisions, and be believes that Hobbs has a future as a starter. Also, contrary to popular opinion, pioli knew how tall Hobbs was BEFORE we drafted him to be a future starter. In any case, we should find out what we have. If necessary, Scott can start in the playoffs. The bottom line is that if the decision is close, Hobbs should start and get the experience.

NEM said:
Why bring Hobbs back as a starter. I wouldnt. The players we had out there today did a hell of a job. Why change what looks good? Hobbs can get beatn 9 out of ten times with quick inside moves.....

If something is working, you dont fix it. What we had out there today worked..... Why change it? That would be idiotic.

Hobbs is a good nickel back, but as a starter, he sucks and is far too small for today's bigger receivers, espercially on quick insde moves off of the line of scrimmage. He can not cover them at his size.

fnordcircle said:
Despite continual wet dreams fans have about size at CB the league has a lot more 5'10" quality CBs than 6'4" ones.

I don't think all fans feel this way - its just a vocal minority that believes a 5'10" CB cannot be effective.

Most fans realize that 6'2" guys with CB skills aren't CBs - they're WRs.

hobbs has been our best corner this year tard. reason he shut down lee evans and lined up on their best WR all game

Last edited:
To be honest I don't know who should play. I don't know if it was a perfectly executed scheme by the players and coaches? Or if Hawkins is just a better player than Wilson etc Hobb's,Gay etc?

All I know is we won the game and played a real good game all around. Much better than I anticipated. Hopefully the team will build off of this and make the appropriate moves like they have over the last 5 years. I'm not losing any sleep over it and neither should anybody else but the coaches and players. That's what they are paid to do. All I expect is a satellite controller and a cold beer to be in my hand every Sunday. And of course a couple of Mondays.

Every game brings its own situations. Hobbs may get the start against some
teams ... Scott may get the call for other teams.

I suggested Hobbs and Wilson sitting might be a blessing in disguise and it
turned out that way. I thought Scott is more physical than Hobbs and that is
what was needed today.
When PATs play smaller quick WRs .... Hobbs is probably the better call.

It seemed that new kid Spann was active on the field also today.
He brings a 6' presence also ... anyone see how well he did?

mgteich said:
Three players weren't playing very well as defensive backs: Gay, Wilson and Sanders. The question was the wuality of outr backups. We found out today. Props to Chad Scott, Hawkins and Poteat.

I want Hobbs back as a healthy starter. However, I'm content with having Wilson as a backup. Sanders may never see the field except in garbage time.
We again have depth!!! Seriously, Poteat has replaced Gay, and Hawkins and Chad Scott have demonstrated that we have a deep secondary.

We now have the following depth chart
CB: Samuel,Hobbs,Scott,Poteat
S: Harrison,Hawkins,Wilson
S/ST: Andrews,Sanders,Spann

You are jumping to far too many conclusions. Wilson was the only positive defensive player that emerged from the loss to Denver. He had a bad game vs the Jets but against Denver he was signifigantly better. There is no way I am going to bench Wilson. Thats freaking foolish. Hawkins is a really good player but benching Wilson is so random.

I know I'm going to get it for saying this, but I haven't been impressed with Rodney's return. Maybe the injury isn't fully healed or what. I don't heal that he plays very confident, is slower, and doesn't hit as hard. I would very much like to be wrong about this because I love Rodney's play and I think he makes everyone better. What are everyone else's thoughts on his play? Maybe you guys can help me refill my koolaid on him.

IMHO, Wilson hasn't looked consistently good since his rookie season.

Kdo5 said:
You are jumping to far too many conclusions. Wilson was the only positive defensive player that emerged from the loss to Denver. He had a bad game vs the Jets but against Denver he was signifigantly better. There is no way I am going to bench Wilson. Thats freaking foolish. Hawkins is a really good player but benching Wilson is so random.

The mystery to me is why no-one ever keeps Poteat. He always plays respectably for us, he should be with someone as their last DB. I'm glad he was out there for us when we needed him.

Scott and Hawkins do make out depth good but the secondary will likely be a hot topic around here in mid April.

NEM said:
If something is working, you dont fix it. What we had out there today worked..... Why change it? That would be idiotic.

Look, if today's corp of DB was the best option, don't you think BB would have started the season with this group? What we saw today was a make-shift corp aided by schemes to compensate for the corp's weaknesses. Not to take anything away from their performance because under the conditions, they performed admirably. However, the novalty's worn off and I'd much rather not see Troy play the slot back any time soon and increase the risk an injury. He'll be needed throughout the course of the year as a WR.

Last edited:
Kdo5 said:
Honest question because I can't remember. Wasn't Wilson one of the guys that whiffed on the tackle on that long Walker TD?

mgteich said:
IMHO, Wilson hasn't looked consistently good since his rookie season.

true, but for the most part he comes up big when the going gets tough (playoffs, games like denver last week.) the Jets game was not that great due to poor tackling, but really if you take away that freak cotchery td taht he was partially responsible for then I think people would have been less upset with his performance, as it was a real motivation-shifter within the game.

- and no JayChamp, Wilson was out of the game during that play - sanders was subbed in for him.

Last edited:
Lockdown06 said:
- and no JayChamp, Wilson was out of the game during that play - sanders was subbed in for him.
Yep you're right. Forgot I still had it on Tivo :)

Asante and Sanders :(

Dare We Ask It?

This thread has begun to dance address the delicate question:

Are we better with Hawkins out there at safety than with Wilson? We need more data than 1 game's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes