PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Secondary just took shape...Not a good shape though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Secondary just took shape.. Not a good shape though

We have no lack of young CBs, probably looking for experience.

Sure - but Bennett has been a starter in the NFL, and in fact at one point was one of the better young CBs out there. His play fell off after a great rookie season, but he's certainly got more potential than your current #5 CB and he's relatively young, too

I say this is a chance for players who might not have gotten a real chance to step up and prove they can be great. I think that has happend before with a couple players on this team.

When has that happened? Name one time that backup came in and overperformed what we had expected.

Okay, well other than Brady after Bledsoe was injured.

Yeah, and Cassel after Brady

or Edlemen for Welker....

oh wait it does happen.

Trying to find the silver lining here....

Bodden was good to very good last year. I'm not going to nit-pick over which games may/may not have inflated his stats. He was solid. The team can recover. The loss of Ty Warren to the run D was more potentially damaging IMO.

I've always liked Butler and in time, McCourty will be a very good player for the team. The CB position will have some ups and downs but these kids will be fine.

I'm concerned about the nickel and dime coverage. W&W have failed to impress.

A pass rush will help take some of the pressure of these kids.

Last edited:

Froob...I don't think Wheatly is going to IR..IF that was the case OR that he was seriously injured I really think TJohnson would not have been among the cuts..JUST think his being included could be a sign OF that.....
Sir Apropos...Shawn Springs is NOT going to be coming through the tunnel to the field..It MIGHT be a good thought, but I do NOT think BB was at all happy with his vet leadership..in fact it was he and tardy Thomas that were yucking it up together..I really doubt that will happen.
Timing on this is atrocious..as trying to get a vet corner now may be hard..the BETTER part of it is that there will be some available in a few days time..trying to get one who can be integrated into the rotation not that easy. I DO think they will sign one and that will help stabilize the secondary. If it was a week ago or so, a preseason game would be BIG..having this last one helps little. I wonder if the 1st string D may play a bit more than usual this week?? My guess is that it will not be like other 4th PS games and the first units will play some. On teh other hand, McCourty and Butler have played together in THE PS games...BUT it is a BIG loss having Bodden on IRi.
As for Lockett..I am not sure HIS being injured really has anything to do with Aiken. THEY NEED a vet ST leader..and Lockett while being an outstanding ST player not the vet. May have more effect on Slater or Alexander than Aiken.

I don't see Springs getting a call. The Pats drafted a CB and then told Springs to take a hike. To a veteran that is kind of a slap in the face since he was unable to talk to other teams during free agency. By the time he hit the market all the positions were filled.

As long as we don't sign his cousin Firewood. He got torched regularly in college.

Haha. Nice one. :D

Remember how we used to play the Colts back in the golden years? It was called keep the high-powered O on the sidelines as much as possible. Teams will be doing that to our unstoppable offense. This is not good.

Every team is going to have season ending injuries, its just a fact. No doubt about it that losing Bodden and Ty are tough to swallow, and will test our D. But I would rather have the major injuries happen in training camp so that the coaching staff can adapt to the changes and the players filling in can get comfortable as the starter. Losing Bodden is bad but if we lost him week 7 and having only a week to adjust in my opinion would be tougher. Now Butler/McCourty know their rolls and can build a rapport with the secondary and only get better as the season goes along. In the long term it will definitely be a positive when next year Bodden comes back and we and Butler and McCourty who have a full year starting in the NFL under their belts.

Remember how we used to play the Colts back in the golden years? It was called keep the high-powered O on the sidelines as much as possible. Teams will be doing that to our unstoppable offense. This is not good.

If it makes you feel any better, the Colts defense has not looked much better so far this preseason.

that would play right into the pats hand cause if team want to put long dink and dunk drives on the pats BB will find a way to hold them to FG's

and we know Brady, and Moss, only need 30 sec to score a TD this team will still win games im not sure about a SB but they will be one of the top 4 seeds in the playoffs

Sure - but Bennett has been a starter in the NFL, and in fact at one point was one of the better young CBs out there. His play fell off after a great rookie season, but he's certainly got more potential than your current #5 CB and he's relatively young, too

If you say so. We've got three CBs with a lot of potential and another that's young and needed now. Working in a young spot starter seems to me the last thing they'd want, but I'm not a GM.

Of course it would be different if he was exceptional, but at least one team doesn't think so, do they?

Every team is going to have season ending injuries, its just a fact. No doubt about it that losing Bodden and Ty are tough to swallow, and will test our D. But I would rather have the major injuries happen in training camp so that the coaching staff can adapt to the changes and the players filling in can get comfortable as the starter. Losing Bodden is bad but if we lost him week 7 and having only a week to adjust in my opinion would be tougher. Now Butler/McCourty know their rolls and can build a rapport with the secondary and only get better as the season goes along. In the long term it will definitely be a positive when next year Bodden comes back and we and Butler and McCourty who have a full year starting in the NFL under their belts.

In the NFL, the odds are almost 100% you are going to have more injuries to key players in the regular season. Losing key guys for the year in the preseason isn't going to exempt the Pats from someone blowing out their knee in Week 7. We are very thin at 2 key spots DL and CB and there hasn't been a real game yet.

Someone go out to Peaceful Pines Assisted Living and wake up Troy Brown!

What about Shawn Springs? He knows the system and played pretty well last year. Speed dial? Or did he get sideways w BB for not providing the right veteran leadership?

He's no leader, he's cancer. No way.

This thread has made me Chicken Little.

We'll see next week. They will certainly try to exploit our defense next week. I expect TO to have a great game, frankly.

Last edited:
The way i see it. let the corners play man to man with just 1 safety deep. Bring Chung in the box to tighten up the run defense and the middle of the field and not allow these 11-12 play drives that were just killing them the last 2 games. reasoning is even the best QB's probably only hit the deep ball maybe 1 out of every 4-5 times and most probably 1 out of every 7-8. the odds are in the young cb's favor. At best they can force a lot of 3 and outs and at worse for the top qb's it gets the defense off the field faster even if the opponents score

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes