Welcome to PatsFans.com

Secondary Draft Targets

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by NePatriots, Dec 28, 2009.

1. NePatriots

NePatriots PatsFans.com Draftnik PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

As the other thread on the secondary devolved into Tate vs Gilyard, I'll start a new one.

What do y'all think about Cal Bear CB Syd'Quan Thompson? Here is an interview we just did with him... he would also bring some good punt-return skills and take that load off Welker.

Syd'Quan Thompson Interivew

Also, Iowa CB Amari Spievey. Thoughts? I'd love to have either one of them -- can't have enough good DB's.

2. The Coon

The Coon On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Two solid prospects, just the wrong year they entered the draft. I still contend we need to build the O and D line and the LB corps through this upcoming draft. Weve spent the last three drafts rebuilding our secondary with high picks when you consider Meriweather, Wheatley, Chung, and Butler were all taken in the few 2 rounds. As always, things could change depending on what happens with Bodden.

3. Taxed in Maine

Taxed in Maine On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I agree, they need a 5-tech DL, an OLB and an OG. Those are the 3 positions that I am focusing on. After those are filled you can take any of ther RB, WR, TE that you want. Of the the 3 I think RB is th higher priority, WR can wait one more year, and the TE crop seems to be weak. Right now I'm not even doing any research on the CB and S positions.

I could see another ILB taken also, I think Alexander could easily be replaced with a rookie.

4. NePatriots

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't think any Patriots fan will disagree with you. That said, Bill Belichick will do anything he thinks will improve our team. If Leigh Bodden doesn't resign with the Patriots, we will need another quality cornerback. We have 4 picks in the first two rounds, so we have plenty of ammo to address all of the Patriots needs.

Let's keep this thread on topic.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  5. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,859 / 10 / -8

The kid I like is junior CB Kareem Jackson from Alabama. He'll be a first round pick next year if he stays. He and Butler would be a nice tandem for the future.

But I hope that DB is not in our plans this year. Next year, if the Raider's pick gives us a shot at Patrick Peterson, it may be a different story.

6. NePatriots

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Kareem is very intriguing... I have him with a 3rd round grade this year, mainly due to all the other talent coming out.

If he does stay, he should be the 2nd CB drafted after Peterson. If we are planning on taking Peterson in 2011 (with the Raiders #1), then I'd sign off on CB help this year.

The only guaranteed CB's for the 2010 roster right now (in my opinion) are Wilhite and Butler. Bodden might leave in FA, and Springs/Wheatley are no guarantees to stay with the Patriots.

7. MagnumPI5

MagnumPI5 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I agree that we have other priorities (OLB, DL, OG); however, I think in this day and age in the NFL, it would be prudent to consistently have an influx of quality defensive backs via the draft. Thompson would be a great selection with one of our second round picks. Right now, I would be elated to have a draft in which we selected 1) Greg Hardy 2a) Top OLB available 2b) CB Thompson 2c) OG Jon Asamoah.
    As Taxed in Maine stated, RB, WR, and TE are other possible areas of need with TE being very limited in talent in this draft. I don't see WR as a high priority, as we are looking for a 3rd WR option at this point (which could be filled with one of our young in-house options or through free agency), and next year's draft is shaping up to be a much better year in which to address the grooming of a Moss successor.
    RB isn't a huge priority and is a position that can often be addressed successfully in the mid rounds (our 4th rounder?).
    Thompson jumps out as a very good fit for us, who probably has 1st round talent, but will drop some due to his size. I would equate him to Alphonso Smith in that regard.

8. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +80 / 5 / -1

#12 Jersey

My goal for the Pats on day one remains all Alabama: Mount Cody, McClain and OG Johnson.

But on day two, I would not mind seeing BB take Ghee of Wake Forest. Depending on how he runs and how he does in the three cone drill (a time equal to Butler's would work), he could be a solid addition.

9. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

I liked Thompson's play when I watched him last season in a couple games, I haven't seen any Cal games this year yet (I've got the Poinsettia Bowl recorded to watch), but from what I've read he's not regressed.

I liked what I was seeing from Ghee last season. I'd like to see BB acquire a "big" CB in the draft to develop behind Springs/Bodden.

10. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +3,859 / 10 / -8

Ghee would be nice. He and Kareem Jackson are my 2 favorites. I haven't seen much of Thompson.

11. sg14

sg14 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So what has happened to Wheatley??
    He seems pretty smart so I doubt it is not picking up the coaches plan. He is very quick. I had high hopes for him.

Outplayed by everyone else?
    Poor tackling?
    Something else?

If we can get some good play from Wheatley that could decrease the drafting need,,

12. cstjohn17

cstjohn17 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +48 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

Not sure about the college players but every draft should include an offensive lineman, a defensive lineman and a cornerback. Number one priority for the secondary is to resign Bodden or obtain a free agent with a similar skillset. He is the clear number one with a pretty good dropoff after that.

This would leave a group something like this, with no improvements this is a capable group (although improvements and upgrades are welcome).

Cornerbacks - Whilite, Butler, Wheatley, BODDEN (or facsimile), Springs, Arrington
    Safety - Merriweather, Sanders, Chung, McGowan

I don't see a Day 1 need unless a player really falls.

13. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +80 / 5 / -1

#12 Jersey

That is a good question. I think Wheatley got hurt and fell behind Wilhite last season. But I think he has been healthy this season, so that means the others must be outplaying him in practice.

Although I think Butler was a healthy scratch against the Jags.

14. KevinFaulk-33

KevinFaulk-33 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

What about Jarvis Jenkins from Clemson? Can he be good in our defense?

15. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +3,859 / 10 / -8

Assuming Bodden is re-signed or replaced with a "facsimile", I agree. Joe Haden would be worth taking if he fell, but he looks like a safe top-15 pick right now.

If Bodden leaves and isn't replaced via FA, then a day 1 CB is a definite possibility.