PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Secondary depth chart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poteat was released by the Jets.....

If Poteat remains on the street for the season I could see him getting the call at some point (due to an injury) but I just don't see them rushing to go get him.

Pats may have the worst CB's in the NFL. Their safeties are ok at best unless Merriweather makes an impact. They need a trade/sign Law or it's 2002 and 2005 all over again. And I don't think Law is the savior either. He's just the best guy on the market right now.

And why does everybody want Hank Poteat? The guy's trash and I don't care if he "knows the system". Wake up people! The Pats need talent, not scrubs who "know the system".

Believe it or not, this defense is going to have a major dropoff from last season. Their in transition from their LB's to their secondary and I am probably the only one that thinks their D-Line needs a change as well. Despite people hyping up the Pats D-Line as one of the best in the league, they couldn't get a push if their life depended on it. And I'm not talking about this preseason, I have thought about this for a few years now, especially after that pathetic performance on the final drive of the superbowl. In the end, their going to need to get a fierce pass rush from Thomas, Crable and Vrabel or their secondary is going to get torched on a regular basis.

And to clarify for people that think I want to cut the entire defense; I don't. I like Wilfork and Warren but Warren had his best year in '06. This is a make or break year for Seymour, he didn't do a damn thing last year. Jarvis Green disappears a lot.

Last edited:
Pats may have the worst CB's in the NFL. Their safeties are ok at best unless Merriweather makes an impact. They need a trade/sign Law or it's 2002 and 2005 all over again.

And why does everybody want Hank Poteat? The guy's trash and I don't care if he "knows the system". Wake up people! The Pats need talent, not scrubs who "know the system".
And what makes you think the 2nd and 4th round picks plus Hobbs don't = talent? They might be raw talent, but one has to assume the coaches saw something they liked.

If healthy I hope so, I think hes the best playmaker in the secondary....If he could only start catchin ;)

Worst hand ever.. playmaker.. good one.

Pats may have the worst CB's in the NFL. Their safeties are ok at best unless Merriweather makes an impact. They need a trade/sign Law or it's 2002 and 2005 all over again. And I don't think Law is the savior either. He's just the best guy on the market right now.

Believe it or not, this defense is going to have a major dropoff from last season. Their in transition from their LB's to their secondary and I am probably the only one that thinks their D-Line needs a change as well. Despite people hyping up the Pats D-Line as one of the best in the league, they couldn't get a push if their life depended on it. And I'm not talking about this preseason, I have thought about this for a few years now, especially after that pathetic performance on the final drive of the superbowl. In the end, their going to need to get a fierce pass rush from Thomas, Crable and Vrabel or their secondary is going to get torched on a regular basis.

He's right, lets replace the defense ;)

And what makes you think the 2nd and 4th round picks plus Hobbs don't = talent? They might be raw talent, but one has to assume the coaches saw something they liked.

Hobbs sucks, I like Wheatley but I haven't seen Whilite yet. With that said, the Pats didn't do their homework this offseason and tried to get out the cheap way again but failed with the Bryant experiment. Unless down the line the Pats pull a Branch for Moss in the secondary, I'll be fine. But if they don't do something this year or next year, they made a mistake and should have signed Samuel.

Nope the coaches are stupid, and they have proven that over the years!

Everyone may think I'm full of it, but I think there will be panic as soon as week 1 about this defense. However, I sure hope I'm dead wrong.

Incidentally, did you choose that Patrick Bateman pic because he looks like Drew Bledsoe in it?

Everyone may think I'm full of it, but I think there will be panic as soon as week 1 about this defense. However, I sure hope I'm dead wrong.

Did you watch the preseason?

Don't do that anymore. I know I never will again ;)

Incidentally, did you choose that Patrick Bateman pic because he looks like Drew Bledsoe in it?

Never thought of it that way, but no I didn't. I just think that scene in American Pyscho was funny and that it would be a good avatar.

Rodney Harrison - James Sanders
Brandon Meriwhether - John Lynch - Ray Ventrone

Ellis Hobbs - Lewis Sanders
Terrence Wheatlely - Jonathan Wilhite

this is so concerning it's not funny! bb better have a trade in the works.

Tyrone Poole is also available. Who needs Asante Samuel?

Last edited:
Duane Starks to the rescue.

this is so concerning it's not funny! bb better have a trade in the works.

step away from the ledge........putting aside Harrison and Lynch,who will be playing primarily in the box,as quasi-linebackers.

This is one of the fastest patriot's secondary in my memory.

Hobbs,Lewis Sanders,Wilhite and Slater are among the fastest players in the league,never mind just as defensive backs.

Wheatley and Meriweather have above average speed and can tackle,which is why Bryant and Spann are no longer with us.

You will see some of Lewis Sanders at FS,also.The kid can cover and he's blazing fast.

Give them some time in the system,then you'll see what Dom Capers was brought here for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back