PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Secondary concerns??: Bryant digned, Spann and Wheatley continue stepping up

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPF

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Some interesting notes from today's practice by Michael Parente from PFW. Concerned about Bryant, let's see if he plays on Sunday. Spann and Wheatley are really taking advantage of the opportunities they have been presented with because of other players being hurt or slow to return.

http://www.patriots.com/search/index.cfm?ac=searchdetail&pid=33324&pcid=41&rss=1

* Bryant walked off with his left arm dangling at the side of his body and received treatment on the sideline before sitting out the rest of practice.

* Safety Antwain Spann spent a considerable amount of time lined up next to Brandon Meriweather on the first-team defense.

* Play of the Day: Rookie cornerback Terrence Wheatley continued to make positive strides in his bid to win a starting role, making a leaping interception near the middle of the field on a pass from O’Connell intended for Watson. Wheatley made a nice adjustment on the under-thrown ball and caught it with both hands over his head.

Last edited:
Not good news on Bryant. Hadn't read this yet. On the plus side, it sounds like Webster is going to be cleared to practice soon.

Hopefully Bryant is just a bit of a bump ...

FYI, per Reiss practice notes, Bryant ended up going back into practice, so he appears fine.

Some interesting notes from today's practice by Michael Parente from PFW. Concerned about Bryant, let's see if he plays on Sunday. Spann and Wheatley are really taking advantage of the opportunities they have been presented with because of other players being hurt or slow to return.

http://www.patriots.com/search/index.cfm?ac=searchdetail&pid=33324&pcid=41&rss=1

Good news on Bryant per Reiss, different version than what Parente led us to believe:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Veteran cornerback Fernando Bryant seemed to injure his left shoulder in 11-on-11 in red-zone work toward the end of practice, but after trainers spent some time with him, he returned to practice.

When I was at practice, Wheatley was with the first Defense. I wouldn't be shocked if they line up against KC with:

OLB:Vrabel
DE: Warren
NG:Wilfork
DE:Seymour
OLB: Thomas
MLB: Mayo (although he took snaps at Will)
WLB: Bruschi

CB: Wheatley
FS: Meriweather
SS: Harrison
CB: Hobbs

Wheatley improving on defense. Just what we need, haven't heard much on Mayo lately.

Bryant has had a lot of injury concerns in the past, lets hope he can get 'healed up'.

I don't know about everyone else but I'm liking our secondary when they all get back healthy.

Sounds like it's time to trade for Lito Sheppard. How about sign Ty Law?

Last edited:
Wheatley improving on defense. Just what we need, haven't heard much on Mayo lately.

From what I saw at camp, there's nothing to report. It's almost like he just plugged in and is expected to be as good as a veteran. He fits in, does all the right things and is physically very impressive (strength and speed.) I saw it all as a positive.

Yes, Spann is stepping up as a Training Camp safety. However, his performance was not enough to keep us from spending $1.5M on a backup safety.

Last edited:
Given the improvments at LB and Seymour's improved health, I think this DB group may be as good as last year.

THE KEY SEVEN (they will get almost all the reps)
Hobbs, Bryant, Wheatley, Harrison, Meriweather, James Sanders, Lynch

ADDITIONAL DB HELP AVAILABLE (we can pick two more from this list)
Lewis Sanders, Webster, Wilhite, Richardson, Spann and Ventrone

Personally, I would feel strongest keeping Sanders and Webster and putting Wilhite on the IR. We'd have enough experienced players available to call on in case of injuries.

I don't know about everyone else but I'm liking our secondary when they all get back healthy.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see another Asante turn up in this year's crop, and earlier. That would prove that stars are as much a product of the right system as a superior gene pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes