PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Second Favorite Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Cardinals have been my "back-up" favorite team for years. I can justify it for numerous reasons: 1. they are in opposite conferences 2. they are on opposite coasts 3. they usually play at opposite times (Pats at 1pm or primetime, Cards usually at 4pm, up until recently very rarely in prime-time), 4. the teams generally don't trade players or have much business interaction 5. the Cards have stunk for a very long time so nobody could say I'm a Cards bandwagon fan 6. I think they have cool uni's 7. the Cards abandoned St. Louis - the Patriots nearly moved to St. Louis and 8. unfortunately, they - like the Patriots - collapsed in the final minutes of a Super Bowl and lost in heartbreaking fashion.

My favorite team is the Patriots and the Patriots only.

Now I like to watch a good game by 2 good football teams like that Vikings/Steelers game last week. I jumped from my couch when Farve fumbled near the goal line I believe, and that Pits DB took it all the way down for a TD. My daughter said, that's not even your team so what are you screaming for. :D

My favorite team is the Patriots and the Patriots only.

Now I like to watch a good game by 2 good football teams like that Vikings/Steelers game last week. I jumped from my couch when Farve fumbled near the goal line I believe, and that Pits DB took it all the way down for a TD. My daughter said, that's not even your team so what are you screaming for. :D

I agree here. One and only one favorite team. Die hards have no time to enjoy and follow another team- and what about when they play each other?? Well I simply hate these "next favorite" teams because only casual fans have multiple favorite teams.

Rooting for anyone but the Pats is like cheering for Iraq.

I used to like the Giants before that which we do not speak of occurred. Never again will I have a "second favorite team".

I have a soft spot for Carolina because I used to spend my summers up in NC, so they're the closest thing I have to a 'home' team[I HATE all Miami teams]. I root for the Chiefs now because of Cassel, and the Lions because I feel bad for them.

I used to like the Giants before that which we do not speak of occurred. Never again will I have a "second favorite team".

I have a soft spot for Carolina because I used to spend my summers up in NC, so they're the closest thing I have to a 'home' team[I HATE all Miami teams]. I root for the Chiefs now because of Cassel, and the Lions because I feel bad for them.

You might want to feel bad for the Rams when they get demolished by those Lions this weekend.

I agree here. One and only one favorite team. Die hards have no time to enjoy and follow another team- and what about when they play each other?? Well I simply hate these "next favorite" teams because only casual fans have multiple favorite teams.

Rooting for anyone but the Pats is like cheering for Iraq.

I don't think the point of this thread is to name rivals to your Patriots allegiance, but to list other teams you enjoy watching and don't mind seeing win when the Pats aren't playing. I'm a Patriots fan first and foremost, but I'm also a fan of the NFL.

I don't think the point of this thread is to name rivals to your Patriots allegiance, but to list other teams you enjoy watching and don't mind seeing win when the Pats aren't playing. I'm a Patriots fan first and foremost, but I'm also a fan of the NFL.

This.

I am a Saints season ticket holder because I enjoy NFL football and hanging out with my New Orleans native friends who are life long Saints fans but should the Saints ever play the Pats I root for the Pats 100% and if the Saints beat the Pats in the Superbowl I'd grow a hatred for them that rivals the Giants.

I can't manufacture five, but my number two is easy. I grew up in Philly, so it's the Eagles. Next to Boston, Philadelphia is the greatest sports town in the USA, with a fan base that is "obnoxious" in the eyes of opponents but "passionate" in the eyes of locals, kind of like, well, you know...

(Speaking of which and going OT, Go Phillies! Shove that $200 million dollar payroll right up the Steinbrenners' collective arse! Let's all send positive karma in Pedro's direction tonight, whatever other feelings we might have about him.)

After admiring what Montana and Walsh accomplished in the 80's/early 90's, I could probably have the 'niners as a very distant number three. But nobody ever accused San Francisco of being a sports town in the same class as Boston or Philly, or New York for that matter.

Otherwise, that's it. The others are all just enemies.

While I admire the Rooney's to the sky, I could never get into the Steelers because of the cross-state rivalry from Philly (we hated the Pirates and Steelers).

Cowboys are out because they beat up on the Iggles year in and year out when I was younger.

I've always admired the class of the Giants organization as well (especially in contrast to the "other" NY NFL team), but they were also faced off against the Eagles and, well, that game in Arizona kind of put me off them for good.

The Packers are out because they vied with the Eagles too much in the old NFL (the last Eagles NFL Championship was in 1960 when they handed Lombardi his only loss in an NFL championship game--that Eagles team was the first NFL team I saw play live.). Plus, I never got into Lord Favregaard, even before his dithering post "retirement."

Last edited:
Whoever the Jets, Bills or Dolphins happen to be playing is my 2nd favorite team. If they are playing each other I root for Swine Flu.

I don't like any of the teams in your division besides the Patriots.

It's not a strong hatred like the one I have for the Falclowns and the Cowgirls, but a strong dislike...

I would say my second favorite is the Patriots cause of the Brady-Moss combo and BB and his scheming ways about him.

Its pretty much only Patriots for me, but there are a few teams that i seem to either root for consistently or that i admire even though i root against them. I usually seem to root for the Eagles, and I like the way the Steelers and Ravens do things even though I usually have to root against them. Mike Tomlin is one of my favorite people in the NFL.

I usually root for the Bears, Seahawks, or Cardinals cause i like their playing style, and their NFC teams.

I always root against AFC teams cause i want the Pats to get home field advantage/playoff spot, though it's hard to root against the Broncos(when their not playing the Pats) cause I'm a big McDaniels fan.

I'm curious in particular for those of you that have moved away from New England and now live elsewhere.

How many adopt that now-local team as one that you follow and root for (as long as it doesn't affect the Pats), and how many want nothing to do with that team? That's probably an easy question if you move to New York, Indy, or Pittsburgh, for example; but what about those that move to a more neutral area (probably in the NFC) such as Chicago, Tampa, Raleigh or Atlanta, for example? Do you end up following those teams as well (though not as much as the Pats), and maybe even go to some of their games? Or do you end up detesting those teams since they get so much coverage and love where you live, and everyone around you thinks they are better than the Pats?

Last edited:
1. Bills: Cause Lee Evans > you
2. Bills: Cause Lee Evans > you
3. Bills: Cause Lee Evans > you
4. Bills: Cause Lee Evans > you
5. Bills: Cause Lee Evans > you

1. Bills: Cause Lee Evans > you
2. Bills: Cause Lee Evans > you
3. Bills: Cause Lee Evans > you
4. Bills: Cause Lee Evans > you
5. Bills: Cause Lee Evans > you
Since this discussion is about a '2nd favorite' team, that means your favorite team must be the Jets; that would certainly fit in with your mental prowess.

In some order:
Saints, Texans, Seahawks, Packers, Falcons

I'm curious in particular for those of you that have moved away from New England and now live elsewhere.

How many adopt that now-local team as one that you follow and root for (as long as it doesn't affect the Pats), and how many want nothing to do with that team? That's probably an easy question if you move to New York, Indy, or Pittsburgh, for example; but what about those that move to a more neutral area (probably in the NFC) such as Chicago, Tampa, Raleigh or Atlanta, for example? Do you end up following those teams as well (though not as much as the Pats), and maybe even go to some of their games? Or do you end up detesting those teams since they get so much coverage and love where you live, and everyone around you thinks they are better than the Pats?

Exactly my situation. I don't mind rooting for the Vikings as an NFC team, despite Favre. He's a big step up from their QBs of the last few years, though I fully expect him to throw a crucial pick as playoff time gets closer.

And I guess I root for some of the teams led by former Patriots too (KC, Denver, Atlanta, not Cleveland) when they're not affecting the Pats.

Exactly my situation. I don't mind rooting for the Vikings as an NFC team, despite Favre. He's a big step up from their QBs of the last few years, though I fully expect him to throw a crucial pick as playoff time gets closer.

And I guess I root for some of the teams led by former Patriots too (KC, Denver, Atlanta, not Cleveland) when they're not affecting the Pats.

Texans: I gained respect for them when they took Mario Williams over Bush. Great move, and it's paid off for them. As long as they don't threaten the pats, i can route for them...in an underdog type of way. Also, that LB Ryans is great.

Steelers: I don't know how much i "like" the Steelers, but I respect them and their franchise...both in the present and past

Eagles: Have loved their defense over the past decade. Also had some class acts in Trotter, Dawkins, Westbrook, and to some extent Mcnabb. Kearse was fun to watch when he had that great year for them. I liked how Mcnabb used to make that passing game without a real WR threat (outside of the T.O. era)....very Brady of old-like

Denver: They're too good for me to like right now, but if they were to step it down a notch, I'd route for them every week. I love what McDaniels has done with that team, and i GREATLY respect him as a coach.

KC: Hard not to support Cassel, Vrabel, and Pioli. But it's a long way for that team.

If the Dolphins weren't in our division, and didn't have Joey Porter, I'd like them as a team.

Favorite player that is not a Patriot: Chad Ochocinco. Just follow his twitter and you'll agree with me. Dawkins is and always has been a great player and leader as well.

Hope they rot in hell: Colts, Jets (what a classless bunch they've turned into), Giants, Chargers (undisciplined and immature), and to a lesser extent, Cowboys (the epitome of under-achievers)

Last edited:

That's exactly my situation, I got season tickets for the Saints in 2002 and I paid like 200 bucks for them, I think I pay 250 now and with the success of the team this year I could probably make all of that back by selling the Cowboys ticket.

I will say that it does annoy me that the fans here who really have no reason to hate the Pats seem to hate them so much. I pretty much just stopped talking about the Pats with the locals because it was making me start to root against the Saints, and you know, I like going to the games so I just don't bring up the Pats anymore to people who I'm not friends with.

Panthers (I live in NC right now, so I like it when they do well against nonPats)
Redskins (Lived there in 82-3, plus I hate the Cowboys)
Eagles (Lived in PA for a while, plus I hate the Cowboys)
Broncos (Josh is a genius)
Vikings (What can I say, I really like Favre)

As you can see, I tend to root for teams where I am from. However, the Pats are always, have always been, the first in my list. My family is from Amesbury Mass, we struggled with Plunkett, Grogan, Bledsoe. I grew up on Pat Patriot, and I will be a Pats fan until I die (unless they move, then I'll just kill myself).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back