PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SEC championship - Georgia vs. Alabama

Clock management was just about the worst I have ever seen there at the end on any level.

You absolutely 100% spike it there and give yourself 3 shots at the endzone. Coaching staff blew it by not yelling for the spike.

I don't know exactly when it happened, but at some point QBs seemed to decide that they would no longer spike the ball to stop the clock. It used to be such an automatic play, to the point where (actually, maybe this is why they stopped doing it) QBs did it TOO much--when there was enough time left that it was better to save the down. But now you see QBs hustling up to the line, and then PAINFULLY having second after second burn away while they audible plays. It's awful. Yesterday, just spike the ball!! They'd have 15 seconds, time, as you say, for 3 plays. Just awful.

And I was rooting for Alabama. (Whose failure to use TOs at the end of the first half was equally crazy.)

Last edited:
Clock management was just about the worst I have ever seen there at the end on any level.

You absolutely 100% spike it there and give yourself 3 shots at the endzone. Coaching staff blew it by not yelling for the spike.
I don't know exactly when it happened, but at some point QBs seemed to decide that they would no longer spike the ball to stop the clock. It used to be such an automatic play, to the point where (actually, maybe this is why they stopped doing it) QBs did it TOO much--when there was enough time left that it was better to save the down. But now you see QBs hustling up to the line, and then PAINFULLY having second after second burn away while they audible plays. It's awful. Yesterday, just spike the ball!! They'd have 15 seconds, time, as you say, for 3 plays. Just awful.

And I was rooting for Alabama. (Whose failure to use TOs at the end of the first half was equally crazy.)

I see those things happen all the time in college games and it DRIVES ME INSANE.

I swear, not a single college player or coach realizes the fact that, yes, when you get a first down they stop the clock to move the chains AND THEN IT STARTS UP AGAIN ONCE THE CHAINS ARE SET.

Georgia got a 1st down at the 34 yard line with 30 seconds to go. You should run up nd spike the ball the INSTANT the ref blows his whistle and have time to call the next play and snap it with 29 seconds. Instead, they WASTED TEN SECONDS and snapped the ball at 20.

THEN THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED AGAIN ON THE VERY NEXT PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And once you're inside the 10 why in the world would you ever throw any sort of pass into the field of play and not the end zone?!?!?!?

(As you can see, I get very emotional over college football :D)

Last edited:
I see those things happen all the time in college games and it DRIVES ME INSANE.

I swear, not a single college player or coach realizes the fact that, yes, when you get a first down they stop the clock to move the chains AND THEN IT STARTS UP AGAIN ONCE THE CHAINS ARE SET.

Georgia got a 1st down at the 34 yard line with 30 seconds to go. You should run up nd spike the ball the INSTANT the ref blows his whistle and have time to call the next play and snap it with 29 seconds. Instead, they WASTED TEN SECONDS and snapped the ball at 20.

THEN THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED AGAIN ON THE VERY NEXT PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And once you're inside the 10 why in the world would you ever throw any sort of pass into the field of play and not the end zone?!?!?!?

I agree completely which is a big reason why 90% of the NCAA HCs never make good NFL HCs. Clock management, in-game strategy, game planning, etc all are neglected and these coaches fall back on having their player's talents take over (thinking Les Miles here). I also attribute this kind of football ineptitide to the lack of practicing situational football. These kids practice 4 hrs a day and need time to also dedicate to their studies (I know...LOL). There is also the football IQ aspect of things. Some players have it at that level and some dont.

Right--I couldn't remember the exact sequence before the last couple of plays, but I knew there was at least one other time when he should have spiked it. Time shouldn't have really been a factor at all! Crazy.

I agree completely which is a big reason why 90% of the NCAA HCs never make good NFL HCs. Clock management, in-game strategy, game planning, etc all are neglected and these coaches fall back on having their player's talents take over (thinking Les Miles here). I also attribute this kind of football ineptitide to the lack of practicing situational football. These kids practice 4 hrs a day and need time to also dedicate to their studies (I know...LOL). There is also the football IQ aspect of things. Some players have it at that level and some dont.

Everything you're saying is true, but you actually see this in the pros as well (a recent Cowboys game comes to mind, of course). It's sort of like they've got in their heads that ok, we're all lined up already, I'll just take a couple more seconds to get guys set and audible the play...and then it takes them like 10 seconds.

Everything you're saying is true, but you actually see this in the pros as well (a recent Cowboys game comes to mind, of course). It's sort of like they've got in their heads that ok, we're all lined up already, I'll just take a couple more seconds to get guys set and audible the play...and then it takes them like 10 seconds.

Yep. Happens at the pro level too. Even BB and TB will be bad at clock mgt and situational football (end of the 1st 1/2 vs SEA comes to mind). Just saying that clock mgt and situational football are neglected more at the NCAA-level than the pro game.

Yep. Happens at the pro level too. Even BB and TB will be bad at clock mgt and situational football (end of the 1st 1/2 vs SEA comes to mind). Just saying that clock mgt and situational football are neglected more at the NCAA-level than the pro game.

True. And come to think of it, I'm not sure the Cowboys can be considered a "pro" team, really...

The thing that kills me is, it seems so common sense as I'm sitting here in my living room and these coaches, NCAA and NFL, week after week, season after season blow these time management situations and it's their livelihood to know what to do!

I coach HS ball which is not the same game and we rarely find ourselves in those situations but even on that level it just seems so easy to know what to do with your time. (for me anyway)

How can these guys make such colossal and crucial mistakes with clock management? They get paid ridiculous amounts of money to know that stuff. Just awful.

I didn't care a whit who won that game I just hate poorly coached situational football.

I picked the perfect time to watch my first college game in over a decade. What a fantastic game. I think I'll watch again.

I couldn't root for Georgia (I have a son who attended Georgia Tech) so I rooted for Bama, but I wasn't that happy about it. There's something about Saban that bugs me.

Since I was introduced to ND football in the 60s by the father of a cutie that I knew, I'll be pulling for them in the title game. They have a good enough defense to pull it off from what I hear.

As someone who watches a lot of college football, I feel obligated to inform you that there is no way in Hell Notre Dame beats anybody coming out of the SEC. Teams coming out of the SEC have won the last six national championships. The reason? The conference is the best conference for recruiting because the best and most talented football players come from the southeast. Notre Dame simply won't be able to handle Alabama's speed.

As someone who watches a lot of college football, I feel obligated to inform you that there is no way in Hell Notre Dame beats anybody coming out of the SEC. Teams coming out of the SEC have won the last six national championships. The reason? The conference is the best conference for recruiting because the best and most talented football players come from the southeast. Notre Dame simply won't be able to handle Alabama's speed.

Texas A&M who aren't really a SEC team yet beat Alabama and should have beaten Florida and LSU so it's not a foregone conclusion.

Texas A&M who aren't really a SEC team yet beat Alabama and should have beaten Florida and LSU so it's not a foregone conclusion.

Every team has an off day. Regardless, they didn't beat Florida and LSU. Further, they were a little more used to the speed and physicality of the SEC than Notre Dame will be just over a month from now. Don't get me wrong, the Irish have a tough team, but there's a good reason why the SEC has been so dominant for over half a decade.

I wouldn't jump to "no way in Hell" conclusions. Alabama might beat Notre Dame 8 times out of 10. We've learned that doesn't guarantee anything in a one shot championship game.

Every team has an off day. Regardless, they didn't beat Florida and LSU. Further, they were a little more used to the speed and physicality of the SEC than Notre Dame will be just over a month from now. Don't get me wrong, the Irish have a tough team, but there's a good reason why the SEC has been so dominant for over half a decade.

I don't disagree, I'm a fan of the SEC. But this 'Bama defense isn't a patch on last years and McCarron is prone to off days. watching the 'Bama running game go against Louis Nix and Te'o will be really interesting. I'd put my money on Alabama, just not all of it :)

As a die-hard ND fan who has marveled at the job local guy Brian Kelley has done in South Bend this year, I couldn't agree with you more.

ND is a very good team but at the D-1/BCS college-level, they just don't have the speed, strength and depth to keep the game within 2-3 TDs in a conventional manner.

ND's defense needs to have a game of the ages, force TOs, get short fields and make some magic on special teams for them to have a chance at winning...

Last edited:
I feel obligated to inform you that there is no way in Hell Notre Dame beats anybody coming out of the SEC.

As a Notre Dame fan, I am obligated to pull out this quote and wait eagerly for the chance to post it again next month. :D

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back