PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seau

Status
Not open for further replies.

ropese

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Anyone know how bad his injury is? He did leave the game early and never came back.

Thanks

I didn't even know Seau was hurt. As far as I know he's fine. None of our reporters have said anything about him being hurt. No one on the fifth quarter either.

Last edited:
Wow, i didn't know he was hurt---i haven't heard anything else about it.

I'm fairly certain I saw him in there late in the game. I definately know he was in there as late as the Rudi Johnson TD, I saw him on the replay.

i thought he wasn't in there becuase they were in the nickle late in the game

We started playing with a 4 man line, 2 LBs and 5 DBs in the second half. BB had some unusual defensive formations out there. I think Seau's absence was by design, not because of injury. We'll know more when the injury report comes out.

The gamebook credits him with an assisted tackle on the very first CIN series, then never mentions him again for the rest of the game. Either he had a truly horrible game and was pulled early or he was injured, unfortunately. But it is indeed surprising we haven't heard anything.

alamo said:
But it is indeed surprising we haven't heard anything.
Surprising we haven't heard about whether a Patriot's player is injured or not? What, is the sun rising in the West tomorrow?

Didn't the Pats switch to a 4-3 late in the 2nd quarter?

bishbash said:
Surprising we haven't heard about whether a Patriot's player is injured or not? What, is the sun rising in the West tomorrow?
I don't expect the team to volunteer a lot of info, but the local media is normally anything but a bunch of lapdogs like in some other cities, and I expected some reporter to questions BB about it after the game.

He was still in there later in the game; I remember seeing him fail to break loose off a couple of blocks and the RB going by him. Not sure if that was late 2nd quarter or early 3rd quarter though. But I think it was the cincy drive where they got the TD.

Seau?

Jarvis Green brothers

gameplanning extroidinaire

jaychamp said:
Didn't the Pats switch to a 4-3 late in the 2nd quarter?

The defense began the game in a 43 with Jarvis starting at RE. In the next two plays of the opening drive, they reverted back to their traditional 34 set, then switched back to the four man front. They continued to switch back and forth for the duration of this drive.

On the defense's second series, they mostly showed a four man front with Wright seeing many snaps as a RT. On the last third down play of this series, the D switched to a 3 man front with Poteat shooting through on a delayed blitz to force an incompletion.

On their third series, they mostly played out of a three man front.

Though I cannot state with any degree of certainty, I suspect the Dline kept switching back and forth throughout the course of the game.

As far as Seau goes, yes, he was blown out of running plays many times by the lead FB blocker. But we've seen Sam Gash do this to him often to expect it. And though I really can't say he played as well as Bruschi, he still had a very solid game dropping into coverage all over the field in protecting lanes.

Seau must be feeling pretty good about his decision to come to NE about now. I like to think of what he's thinking-but-not-saying while he's among Patriot teammates. Things like "wow, you can go into Cinci and WIN?" Even though he's a HOFer, he's in a brave new world right now.

Wotan_the_Wanderer said:
The defense began the game in a 43 with Jarvis starting at RE. In the next two plays of the opening drive, they reverted back to their traditional 34 set, then switched back to the four man front. They continued to switch back and forth for the duration of this drive.

On the defense's second series, they mostly showed a four man front with Wright seeing many snaps as a RT. On the last third down play of this series, the D switched to a 3 man front with Poteat shooting through on a delayed blitz to force an incompletion.

On their third series, they mostly played out of a three man front.

Though I cannot state with any degree of certainty, I suspect the Dline kept switching back and forth throughout the course of the game.

As far as Seau goes, yes, he was blown out of running plays many times by the lead FB blocker. But we've seen Sam Gash do this to him often to expect it. And though I really can't say he played as well as Bruschi, he still had a very solid game dropping into coverage all over the field in protecting lanes.
Very good observations. Perhaps the key thing to notice was that it seemed like there was little that you could call 'classic' on many of the downs.

For example, on the first down of the game that Wotan mentions, it was a 4-3 but with two ILB who stayed in the middle and a ROLB.

The 2nd and 3rd plays were pretty much standard 4-3

but on the 4th play, you had a very different set. You had a 4-3 with Seymour and Green in the middle of the DL and linebackers in down stance at the ends of the DL (Colvin at 'LDE' and Banta-Cain at 'RDE' with Bruschi tucked right up at the line between Colvin and Green. Poteat is up almost to the position of a ROLB and Vrabel slides from ILB to right side of line to cover man in motion and Poteat backs off leaving effectively no ILB.

On the 7th play (1st-11:53) the set was a 4-2 with a LOLB and a RILB. Then Harrison comes up into the LILB spot and appeared to plug the line (effectively) as a LILB rather than as a blitz. Wright did a really good job at RDT of holding the line and then sliding off to make the tackle with Bruschi right there to stop forward progress.

As I say, a lot of non-'standard' defensive sets.
As ususal, it's frustrating with the camera shots available to figure out DLmen and LBs a lot of the time.

arrellbee said:
As I say, a lot of non-'standard' defensive sets.
As ususal, it's frustrating with the camera shots available to figure out DLmen and LBs a lot of the time.

Good stuff and the camera shots make it impossible when you're trying to figure out what the DBs are doing downfield away from the ball. Wish the telecasts ran more bird's-eye-views on replays. On thing that surprised me was that the D never played in a two lineman set in big nickel or dime as I expected.

Wotan_the_Wanderer said:

Just finished watching the replay On Demand, and from what I saw, I couldn't pinpoint any injuries. I think he was pulled by design. As far as getting blown out on running plays, he's been getting beat all year on stretch and mis-direction plays. He has been over-agressive, has over-persued and has failed to stay home. This is a new experience for him, not having to carry a large burden by himself. This will be coached out of him, I am certain. Then the cut back runs will stop gashing the d up the middle.

shirtsleeve said:
Just finished watching the replay On Demand, and from what I saw, I couldn't pinpoint any injuries. I think he was pulled by design. As far as getting blown out on running plays, he's been getting beat all year on stretch and mis-direction plays. He has been over-agressive, has over-persued and has failed to stay home. This is a new experience for him, not having to carry a large burden by himself. This will be coached out of him, I am certain. Then the cut back runs will stop gashing the d up the middle.

This is his first time at ILB so he is having to adjust and get used to playing the new position with different responsibilities.

I checked a random play in the 2nd quarter.

He was in there.

I checked a random play in the 3rd quarter.

He was in there.

The few random plays I checked in the 4th quarter were in the 4-2 nickel, prevent defense.

He wasn't in there, but only because Vrabel and Bruschi were the LBs and Colvin/TBC the DEs.

Last edited:
Gumby said:
He was still in there later in the game; I remember seeing him fail to break loose off a couple of blocks and the RB going by him. Not sure if that was late 2nd quarter or early 3rd quarter though. But I think it was the cincy drive where they got the TD.

You just described every Seau play from this year.

Seriously, I don't think I've seen him shed a block and make a tackle even once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back