PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seau confirmed, Sands released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tate has just as much of a chance at being a break-out player as he does being invisible..]

There is a .0000001% chance of Tate doing anything this year. In fact during the BB regime, only one WR (Branch in 02) has caught more then 20 balls their rookie year. Couple that he did not play in the preseason, been on PUP or spent quality time with TB.

Last edited:
slurp, slurp, slurp

You believe that a wide receiver, off an injury, with no preseason, no NFL experience, and no practice until after game 6, has just as much chance as being a break out player as being invisible in his rookie year as a wide receiver?

Yes. It's not ENTIRELY uncommon. If Galloway doesn't work out, would you rather see Aiken back out there?

While this is possible, it has to be a long shot. A first round receiver is a crapshoot even if he has no injuries, has a full set of offseason practices, a full offseason and 6 games of practice and experience. Even these players do not have "just as much chance of being a breakout player as being invisible" Lots of wide receivers are invisible in their first year, probably more than those who are breakout players.

Percy Harvin (who wasn't even projected as a first round WR until a couple of weeks before the draft) and Jeremy Maclin say "hi". As for the injury, Tate has had the proper time to heal from the injury. The three things he would have to get down is the playbook, his route running, and developing an rapport with Brady. He has the intangibles to succeed: a big body and speed. Plus he has soft hands from what I've seen from him. With the downtime, he should have been able to absorb the playbook. He would need work on his route running and his timing skills and this can be honed in during practice. If the Galloway experiment fails, I say why not?

Apparently, Tate is the miracle man. He can instantly have great timing with Brady. He doesn't need the offseason or practices. He doesn't need time to recover from his injuries and be 100%. Who does he think he is? Junior Seau?

Not saying that he is a miracle man. I'm simply saying that I don't see a problem with seeing what we can get out of him in his rookie year as an opposite deep threat instead of automatically falling back on Sam Aiken, who doesn't strike fear into any defense in the league.

In yer another brilliant Belichick trademark move, BB released Sands and via a league loophole got him to count as two players released. The Comissioner is re-reading all past memos to see if a 2011 1st round pick violation applies.

Yes. It's not ENTIRELY uncommon. If Galloway doesn't work out, would you rather see Aiken back out there?

Percy Harvin (who wasn't even projected as a first round WR until a couple of weeks before the draft) and Jeremy Maclin say "hi". As for the injury, Tate has had the proper time to heal from the injury. The three things he would have to get down is the playbook, his route running, and developing an rapport with Brady. He has the intangibles to succeed: a big body and speed. Plus he has soft hands from what I've seen from him. With the downtime, he should have been able to absorb the playbook. He would need work on his route running and his timing skills and this can be honed in during practice. If the Galloway experiment fails, I say why not?

Not saying that he is a miracle man. I'm simply saying that I don't see a problem with seeing what we can get out of him in his rookie year as an opposite deep threat instead of automatically falling back on Sam Aiken, who doesn't strike fear into any defense in the league.

Im with you Kontra. If Galloway continues to play the role of Donald Hayes, why not throw Tate out there and see how he does.

Just hoping to temper expectations..

I agree that Tate could be more productive than Sam Aiken as our #4 receiver. How is that being a "breakout" player? Aiken was our #4 receiver last year. How many catches did he have? I would note that Belichick respects Aiken as a WR as did Denver who put Champ Bailey on him most of the game. Aiken did his job if he kept Champ Bailey from being much of a factor in the game.

Edelman is our #3 receiver. When healthy, he practiced with the #1 team in most of the offseason. The fact that he is primarily a slot receiver doesn't mean he isn't our #3 receiver. If he can get open, he will get the ball. BTW, Watson is really our #4 receiver as he has been for years. That is expected of our top TE receiver.

In any case, I am fine with Tate being activated and replacing Galloway if a final determination has been made on Galloway. There is no cap effect, and Tate is needed to compete with Edelman for reps as a returner. If Tate also competes for reps as a receiver, then fine. As you say, he can replace Aiken in that role, or not.

BTW, Watson is really our #4 receiver as he has been for years. That is expected of our top TE receiver.

And currently leading the team in TD receptions. I'll take that in #4 ANY DAY.

I think we were all "WOW'ed" by his size. He honestly wasn't the dominating force that most of us were making him out to be in the Ravens game. He crashed the line only a couple of times and seemed to mostly due it when he was isolated against a single blocker. When he was double teamed, he was driven back. He was an okay pick-up for us, but nothing spectacular.

I agree. He looks like he ate whoever that slob is in your avatar. Nothing special but a little interesting nonetheless.

I agree that Tate could be more productive than Sam Aiken as our #4 receiver. How is that being a "breakout" player? Aiken was our #4 receiver last year. How many catches did he have? I would note that Belichick respects Aiken as a WR as did Denver who put Champ Bailey on him most of the game. Aiken did his job if he kept Champ Bailey from being much of a factor in the game.

Edelman is our #3 receiver. When healthy, he practiced with the #1 team in most of the offseason. The fact that he is primarily a slot receiver doesn't mean he isn't our #3 receiver. If he can get open, he will get the ball. BTW, Watson is really our #4 receiver as he has been for years. That is expected of our top TE receiver.

In any case, I am fine with Tate being activated and replacing Galloway if a final determination has been made on Galloway. There is no cap effect, and Tate is needed to compete with Edelman for reps as a returner. If Tate also competes for reps as a receiver, then fine. As you say, he can replace Aiken in that role, or not.

Just one little nitpick, and that is that Champ Bailey was moving around to different receivers all game and not just lined up against Aiken. He was also on Edelman and Welker for a couple of plays. Didn't see whether or not he was on Moss, but it wouldn't suprise me.

I agree. He looks like he ate whoever that slob is in your avatar. Nothing special but a little interesting nonetheless.

That's Big Poppa a.k.a. Biggie Smalls, son. :D

still can't figure out why the Chargers aren't all over over Sands, but WTF do I know anyways :p

still can't figure out why the Chargers aren't all over over Sands, but WTF do I know anyways :p

Because Norv Turner is their head coach. That move would make way too much sense for him.

I think Tate has about as much chance being a real factor this year, as me going over and finding WMDs in Iraq.....
Virtually NILL is my guess.

I'd love to be wrong, but the reasons have already been stated numerous times, it's just that the Fandom doesn't want to listen or believe that the odds of him becoming a factor are VERY VERY SLIM.:eek:

I also find it utterly amazing that folks really believe this miracle worker that hasn't done jack **** with the team or Brady is going to step on the field and start producing, and not only produce but compare to Reggie Wayne someday?

That's laughable, and Maclin had ONE good game, against arguably one of the very worst/most pathetic teams in the league, that is ONE, the rest he did jack ****.
Percy has produced, BUT that is on a team that doesn't even have a real "system", they have a gunslinger back there that improvises ALL the time, it was stated that he often disregarded the playbook in NY, even Coles brought it up last year...not only do the Pats have a "System", but it is DIFFICULT, and it obviously requires alot of practice time.
I'm not saying Percy isn't talented, but I have a feeling it wouldn't be so ez here.

I don't think they are very comparable, especially the system.......not to mention they are petrified that ADP is gonna run all over them to the tune of 2 bills.....

Of course I'm probably dreaming..just because it USUALLY (NOT Always)takes around 3 years for a WR to REALLY grow and start producing consistently....of course there ARE some that step in and do well.

I think Tate has about as much chance being a real factor this year, as me going over and finding WMDs in Iraq.....
Virtually NILL is my guess.

I'd love to be wrong, but the reasons have already been stated numerous times, it's just that the Fandom doesn't want to listen or believe that the odds of him becoming a factor are VERY VERY SLIM.:eek:

I also find it utterly amazing that folks really believe this miracle worker that hasn't done jack **** with the team or Brady is going to step on the field and start producing, and not only produce but compare to Reggie Wayne someday?

That's laughable, and Maclin had ONE good game, against arguably one of the very worst/most pathetic teams in the league, that is ONE, the rest he did jack ****.
Percy has produced, BUT that is on a team that doesn't even have a real "system", they have a gunslinger back there that improvises ALL the time, it was stated that he often disregarded the playbook in NY, even Coles brought it up last year...not only do the Pats have a "System", but it is DIFFICULT, and it obviously requires alot of practice time.
I'm not saying Percy isn't talented, but I have a feeling it wouldn't be so ez here.

I don't think they are very comparable, especially the system.......not to mention they are petrified that ADP is gonna run all over them to the tune of 2 bills.....

Of course I'm probably dreaming..just because it USUALLY (NOT Always)takes around 3 years for a WR to REALLY grow and start producing consistently....of course there ARE some that step in and do well.

Why not try? Because he is a rookie? Here are some names of rookie WR's that have been successful this season: Jeremy Maclin, Percy Harvin, Hakeem Nicks (the guy that Tate was supposedly better than at college), Louis Murphy to a much lesser degree, and our very own Julian Edelman (who was a QB in college no less). Saying that Tate will not have any success because he is a rookie is a copout. I say why not try it if the Galloway experiment fails again?

I never said not to see if he can handle some duties when he gets healthy, maybe even get some playing time......
Who knows, maybe even play very well, which I doubt, and is against the odds.

After reading MANY and I mean MANY posts talking about this guy being the next coming and the like, I am just thinking that folks should temper expectations.

I'd LOVE to see this guy step on the field the 1st day and be the next Randy Moss, or Colston, or marshall, or Wayne, or _insert stud name here_ , it's just not reasonable to EXPECT it, and from alot of the posts I have read since he was drafted, it sure seems like alot of folks think he will just step in and be some kinda stud.....
Very Doubtful.

I never said not to see if he can handle some duties when he gets healthy, maybe even get some playing time......
Who knows, maybe even play very well, which I doubt, and is against the odds.

After reading MANY and I mean MANY posts talking about this guy being the next coming and the like, I am just thinking that folks should temper expectations.

I'd LOVE to see this guy step on the field the 1st day and be the next Randy Moss, or Colston, or marshall, or Wayne, or _insert stud name here_ , it's just not reasonable to EXPECT it, and from alot of the posts I have read since he was drafted, it sure seems like alot of folks think he will just step in and be some kinda stud.....
Very Doubtful.

I agree with this notion. However, you're posting on Patsfans.com. Expecting the guy to be the next Messiah and then calling him a bust when he isn't winning games 57-7 all by himself come with the territory around here. ;)

I agree with this notion. However, you're posting on Patsfans.com. Expecting the guy to be the next Messiah and then calling him a bust when he isn't winning games 57-7 all by himself come with the territory around here. ;)

Yeah your right......wth was I thinking!! ;)

Disregard everything I said, I can't wait till Tate steps on the fieled the 1st day and everyone see's the next coming of Jerry Rice....gonna be a hellalotta teams pizzed they skipped him in the draft when he takes his 1st 3 passes 60+ yards to the house....juking guys so bad they break their ankles as his flys by them...

Good Times Coming!! :D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye