PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seattle was robbed..and here's why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pattie

On the Roster
Reaction score
They, in the stare down with NE blinked. Everyone seems to realize it but them. Of course Deion is an asset in the WR crops. He's a very good, but not TO level receiver, who's a good teammate but he's not worth the number one pick. The most unhappy man today is probably Mangini in New York who's banging his head against the wall in frustration at Seattle's misstep. He understands just how good the Pioli/Belichick draft board is and, by handing this ammunition, they (the Seahawks) may have improved their team this year but possibly shifted the balance of power long term--back towards the Patriots. :rolleyes:

I am totally content seeing Deion traded for a 1st round pick.The important thing is here is not only is it two first round picks but its also great trade colateral.The offense we have right now is a better situation because they guys that are being played are fresh and ready to go.I can't wait to see Troy and Watson pull is some more passes.If Caldwell can catch the balls thrown his way then when jackson and gabriel get in there we shall be just fine

The Patriots get:

1) a #1 pick to help re-stock the team
2) cap room to bring in another veteran WR in the off-season (if they so choose)

Stinks a little right now, but over the long haul it's great, especially in the context of Branch being so pi$$ed he was going to leave, anyway.

Pattie said:
They, in the stare down with NE blinked. Everyone seems to realize it but them. Of course Deion is an asset in the WR crops. He's a very good, but not TO level receiver, who's a good teammate but he's not worth the number one pick. The most unhappy man today is probably Mangini in New York who's banging his head against the wall in frustration at Seattle's misstep. He understands just how good the Pioli/Belichick draft board is and, by handing this ammunition, they (the Seahawks) may have improved their team this year but possibly shifted the balance of power long term--back towards the Patriots. :rolleyes:

Mongo-gini is busy stuffing Donuts into his face.. Should be a fun pre-game handshake with BB, espeically wit hthe tampering charges.....:D

DonBlackmon55 said:
Mongo-gini is busy stuffing Donuts into his face.. Should be a fun pre-game handshake with BB, espeically wit hthe tampering charges.....:D

I thought Mangini looked like he'd added a few pounds in his latest photos. Maybe stress induced eating? HC can become workaholics (like Belichick), or stress out (playoffs! what playoffs?) or find some manner in which to deal with all the headaches the position brings. It'll be interesting to see if Mangini is at all shook by the "tampering" charges. Not the first time in the "border war" we've heard that one.:D

Last edited:
Patriots4Ever said:
If Caldwell can catch the balls thrown his way then when jackson and gabriel get in there we shall be just fine

I, myself, would be very happy if Caldwell stopped having so many balls bounce off him and caught a few of them.:rofl:

This was definetly a good trade. Its one of those trades that gets better as time goes by. I have confidence in Jackson and Gabriel becoming a good 1/2 combo with the ever reliable Troy Brown as a 2b type receiver. I have seen quite a few places that say the 07 draft is deep. We seem poised for another good draft.

DonBlackmon55 said:

Fatmangini . . . at GIANTS Stadium no less.

I agree. Seattle overpaid to our benefit and even db's.

How does BB do it??? :)

desi-patsfan said:
This was definetly a good trade. Its one of those trades that gets better as time goes by. I have confidence in Jackson and Gabriel becoming a good 1/2 combo with the ever reliable Troy Brown as a 2b type receiver. I have seen quite a few places tFhat say the 07 draft is deep. We seem poised for another good draft.
Why do posters on this board (a considerable number) have all this confidence in Jackson? He is a rookie. He is a rookie playing in a complicated offense. He is a rookie playing in a complicated offense who has never caught an NFL pass. Can you tell I'm just flowing with confidence.

scout said:
Why do posters on this board (a considerable number) have all this confidence in Jackson? He is a rookie. He is a rookie playing in a complicated offense. He is a rookie playing in a complicated offense who has never caught an NFL pass. Can you tell I'm just flowing with confidence.
I agree 100% especially since Chad Jackson did not even participate in one preseason game. The word "potential" can backfire especially for young NFL wide receivers.

scout said:

Why not have confidence? Remember the depth we were going to have with Terrell and PK Sam? Hayes? Emmanuel?

You're right. Jackson could be great, but he has never caught a pass in the NFL! Doug Gabriel was a #3 receiver on a bad team. How many catches were garbage time and against the pre-vent?

I think the Pats did the best they could on the Deion deal, but he had about 300 yards in the 2004 playoffs (3 games) including catching a deep ball over the middle while being teed up by Polamalu, setting up the second TD after catching a deep ball for the first TD.

They could be great, but there is no basis in the level of confidence being shown in the WRs. I'd take the 2001 WRs over this group.

Pattie said:
Personally I don't think Holmgren cares. he is just mortgaging the future to win now and doesn't care what it takes because he won't be there next year.

It's his last ditch effort to win the big one.

onegameatatime said:
Why not have confidence? Remember the depth we were going to have with Terrell and PK Sam? Hayes? Emmanuel?

You're right. Jackson could be great, but he has never caught a pass in the NFL! Doug Gabriel was a #3 receiver on a bad team. How many catches were garbage time and against the pre-vent?

I think the Pats did the best they could on the Deion deal, but he had about 300 yards in the 2004 playoffs (3 games) including catching a deep ball over the middle while being teed up by Polamalu, setting up the second TD after catching a deep ball for the first TD.

They could be great, but there is no basis in the level of confidence being shown in the WRs. I'd take the 2001 WRs over this group.
you're exactly right...every wide out on a bad team gets their yardage in garbage time and they all stink.

i think it's reasonable to get 30-40 catches from jackson and that will be a good rookie season. you figure he's gonna miss some games down the road.

onegameatatime said:
I'd take the 2001 WRs over this group.
Crazy talk. We didn't have much offense in 2001. I seem to recall three offensive TDs in the entire playoffs.

We won with defense that year, with everything falling for us.

Check back in Week Eight. You will be eating crow by the flock.

ps Can you name out 2001 fourth and fifth receivers without looking them up? Care to guess how many receptions we got from WR postions 3,4, and 5 and the TE's combined in 2001?

Charles Johnson was one I believe, Torrance Small. Bert Emauel.

didn't look it up either

Warren94 said:
Charles Johnson was one I believe, Torrance Small. Bert Emauel.

didn't look it up either

By the playoffs, Emmanuel was gone (and Small, too, I think).
Fred Coleman was on the roster in the SB, and made a few plays for us.

At TE, it was the immortal Rod Ruttledge and a very green Jermaine Wiggins. Wiggins was huge for us in the playoffs.

Last edited:
NEM said:
We will be drafting at 31 and 32, solook for a trade up. Or s it down?

Nah use both picks not extremely expensive to sign and we've don well picking at the bottom of the first beginning of the second. This next draft (along with the 2006 draft) could stock our roster with core players for then ext 5-6 years (most of Brady's career?).

brady2brown said:
Crazy talk. We didn't have much offense in 2001. I seem to recall three offensive TDs in the entire playoffs.

We won with defense that year, with everything falling for us.

Check back in Week Eight. You will be eating crow by the flock.

ps Can you name out 2001 fourth and fifth receivers without looking them up? Care to guess how many receptions we got from WR postions 3,4, and 5 and the TE's combined in 2001?

I was referring to WRs only. I expect the offense as a whole to be much better than 2001 -- better O-line, much better RBs than Smith, and much better TEs than Jermaine Wiggins. And Brady is more experienced. I never said I would take the 2001 offense as a whole.

Brown and Patten combined for over 150 catches and almost 2000 yards. I stand by my comment that I would take the 2001 WRs over today's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back