PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seattle shopping Branch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry people, Branch has missed 17 games since 06.

If you're not playing you may just as well be ta ta's on a nun.

Right - because Branch has shown that he's willing to play to less money then he thinks he worth. How's that worked out in the past? And who says Branch is willing to walk away from a salary he's guaranteed this year? Let's face it, it's highly unlikely that Seattle is going to straight out cut him at this point in the season.

..and do you really Belichick is going to give him another chance to hold out when Branch thinks he has the most leverage?

Again, foolish.

That makes no sense. The terms and conditions of any return by Deion would be incentive-laden-low risk for the Pats. If Branch does not want to renego, then the Pats dont do the deal. Simple as that.

C'mon. It's not like the guy sold drugs to kids, shaved points or comitted high-treason. He wanted more money and got it. Doesn't mean he made the right decision. It's just means that he saw and opportunity to set himself up financially for the rest of his life and did it. Based on how things went down, the Pats had no intention of paying him. Branch was right as there was a market for him. End of story.

What I don't understand is how people on this board would rather have a F/O operate spitefully, hold a grudge and not explore every possible angle or opportunity to get better?

If BB and the rest of the F/O made the determination that DB has a clean bill of heath and could help this team win a SB, people would still say, 'No we hate him. He hurt us fans. he wasn't loyal' and not want him?

That I don't get....

It's not just spite - it's common sense. The guy thinks he's worth big bucks and made a mess in the offseason to get his way. He didn't leave like Patten or Given's - he made a huge deal about it and refused to play. There's a world of difference. Plenty of players have left the Patriots and I could see the Pats bring them back - but not Branch.

What I don't understand is why anyone thinks Branch 1.) has anything left and 2.) why it would be worth the risk.

Unless he comes begging this team for job and is willing to play for peanuts, it's just naive to think this is possible.

And yes, I'd rather have Edelman down the stretch then Branch. Branch hasn't exactly proven anything in Seattle.

Sorry people, Branch has missed 17 games since 06.

If you're not playing you may just as well be ta ta's on a nun.

Branch is not a true #1 WR. Never was.

That makes no sense. The terms and conditions of any return by Deion would be incentive-laden-low risk for the Pats. If Branch does not want to renego, then the Pats dont do the deal. Simple as that.

Exactly, what has Branch ever done or say, to make you think he's willing to take an incentive laden deal?

I can argue quite the opposite, that's he proven he's only willing to play for top dollar and would refuse to play for anything he deems 'disrespectful'.

It's not just spite - it's common sense. The guy thinks he's worth big bucks and made a mess in the offseason to get his way. He didn't leave like Patten or Given's - he made a huge deal about it and refused to play. There's a world of difference. Plenty of players have left the Patriots and I could see the Pats bring them back - but not Branch.

What I don't understand is why anyone thinks Branch 1.) has anything left and 2.) why it would be worth the risk.

Unless he comes begging this team for job and is willing to play for peanuts, it's just naive to think this is possible.

And yes, I'd rather have Edelman down the stretch then Branch. Branch hasn't exactly proven anything in Seattle.

Whats the risk??? a 5th rounder (hypothetically) and a re-negotiated deal that would get him out of Seattle and put him on the Pats for $500k for 09 and hes gonzo after this year? There is no risk. There is no long-term deal with a cap-hit.

Besides, he did what others have done. He sat out camp as the Pats refused to re-do his deal. Same to Asante. same with Seymour. He didnt go on ESPN and trash BB like Ty Law did. It was a business decision by both parties to move on.

Exactly, what has Branch ever done or say, to make you think he's willing to take an incentive laden deal?

I can argue quite the opposite, that's he proven he's only willing to play for top dollar and would refuse to play for anything he deems 'disrespectful'.

I think we are saying the same thing...I guess I openly wonder if Deion, who now has more money than god would consider coming back to the Pats under a lowball deal.

If I were Deion, I see my career in SEA as a disaster. Knowing that I'm going to get cut at the end of the season anyway, why not go to the Pats, play well and be a FA at the end of the year and go somewhere and get a tail-end multi-year deal? I want to get my dollars up. I want to be productive. Why not go back where I once flourished?

Last edited:
Right - because Branch has shown that he's willing to play to less money then he thinks he worth. How's that worked out in the past? And who says Branch is willing to walk away from a salary he's guaranteed this year? Let's face it, it's highly unlikely that Seattle is going to straight out cut him at this point in the season.

..and do you really Belichick is going to give him another chance to hold out when Branch thinks he has the most leverage?

Again, foolish.

If you read my posts, you would have realized that it is in Branch's best interest to take a pay cut (with the Patriots) this year. He's going to get cut by the Seahawks after this season, no matter what.

You have no idea what Branch and Chayut think of their contract situation right now.

Do you REALLY think Branch would HOLD OUT given his situation right now? THAT's the most foolish thing I've read in this thread.

Last edited:
Whats the risk??? a 5th rounder (hypothetically) and a re-negotiated deal that would get him out of Seattle and put him on the Pats for $500k for 09 and hes gonzo after this year? There is no risk. There is no long-term deal with a cap-hit.

Besides, he did what others have done. He sat out camp as the Pats refused to re-do his deal. Same to Asante. same with Seymour. He didnt go on ESPN and trash BB like Ty Law did. It was a business decision by both parties to move on.

Again, what exactly makes you think gracious Deon is willing to play for peanuts.? And what, exactly, makes you think he's any better then Edelman?

Sure, if I knew Branch was the same guy he was before he left AND I knew he'd be healthy for the rest of the year AND I could pick him up for a 6th or 7th (a 5th is too high for a one year rental) then yeah, I suppose I might consider it. But right now I can tell you that he's not the same guy, he won't be healthy all year, and nothing I've read makes be think he'll play for chump change.

......Pats refused to re-do his deal. Same to Asante

Wrong, Asante fulfilled his rookie contract and played another year under the tag. He earned his big payday.

Branch's best interests are his pocket book. It was clear to most Pats fans that Deon was really good with this team, but I don't think too many people thought he'd do well in Seattle.

Branch thinks pretty highly of himself and is likely blaming his lack of performance on the team or his coaches, not himself. I don't see him coming back with his tail between his legs.

Branch's best interests are his pocket book. It was clear to most Pats fans that Deon was really good with this team, but I don't think too many people thought he'd do well in Seattle.

Branch thinks pretty highly of himself and is likely blaming his lack of performance on the team or his coaches, not himself. I don't see him coming back with his tail between his legs.

You're just making stuff up now.

Again, what exactly makes you think gracious Deon is willing to play for peanuts.? And what, exactly, makes you think he's any better then Edelman?

Sure, if I knew Branch was the same guy he was before he left AND I knew he'd be healthy for the rest of the year AND I could pick him up for a 6th or 7th (a 5th is too high for a one year rental) then yeah, I suppose I might consider it. But right now I can tell you that he's not the same guy, he won't be healthy all year, and nothing I've read makes be think he'll play for chump change.

IF Branch was still the same guy he was before he left you couldn't pick him up for a 6th or 7th. You'd need a 1st - which is what the Seahawks gave up.

Please start making some sense.

Goodness, this is a hypothetical argurment. Sorry but going into a SuperBowl I will take a healthy DB than Edelman hands-down.

I havent a clue what Chayet or DBs thought process is right now. Maybe that bridge has been burned. But you did agree to my scenario. As I said, we were saying the same thing.....

Wrong, Asante fulfilled his rookie contract and played another year under the tag. He earned his big payday.

True but if you recall the terms of the tag was that he would return if he was not tagged on 08. Both sides had leverage.

Yeah, because thinking Branch is going to play for peanuts is really likely to happen.

Whatever.

I know this may be difficult for you to comprehend but I'm a fan, not the GM. Really, I'm not. Nor do I pretend to be such on the Internet.

I hate the greedy little **** for costing us the 2007 SB. Always will.

Rot in damp Seattle HELL Twig!

TECHNICALLY (and I do mean technically), the Branch departure ushered in the way for Welker and Moss. If he comes back to the team after all, just think about that and your hate for him might die a little bit. :cool:

Again, foolish.

If Branch had not acted as he did, he could have lost the single big payday of his career. If he had been injured in the final year of his contract with the Pats, he would have been out of the game with a lot less than he will have now.

I hated the result of his action (though i appreciate that we got Meriweather out of it), but i was more upset at BB than Branch at the time. they should have agreed not to tag him the following year.

This is a fantasy ***********. The Twig is way too self centered to take a reduced salary deal with the Pats like folks keep posting. He refused an equal deal with the Pats if only he'd drop his a hole agent. He didn't, leaving his former BFF Brady and the Pats. Result, we lost to the Colts and Peyton won his only SB.

Burn in Hell, Twig.

IIRC Branch had 1 year left on his contract when he decided that he wasn't being paid enough...and then decided to NOT honor the contract that HE signed, and held the Pats hostage...I feel as others here do that he screwed us, and the Pats may have another if he hadn't acted so selfishly.

Fjhc';dslhc'h that greedy 'ilhv'djkhv, he can go hang out with that other greedy 'klh'dfljkhv that had a family to feed...
Neither one of them did jack after they left, but they got their $......

Sucker can't stay healthy neither. .....problem is Aiken is healthy, and he SUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back