PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seattle shopping Branch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edelman's had some nice returns. In fact, Parrish is only averaging 6.1 yds/ return (on 12) this season, while Edelman is averaging over 10 (on 6).
I suppose Edelman could surprise but Parrish is one of the premiere PR's in the NFL. This years stats may not bear that out but Parrish has fallen out of favour in Billsland and had been overtaken by McKelvin as the PR there until McKelvin got hurt.

What makes you so confident in Tate? He hasn't played. He hasn't practiced. He coming off a serious knee injury. Only one rookie WR has more than 20 catches in their rookie year- Branh. Granted Edelman may be the 2nd...

Tate in the long run (in regards to signing Branch to an extension), I watched alot of ACC football and Tate is good, just wait and see..

Tate in the long run (in regards to signing Branch to an extension), I watched alot of ACC football and Tate is good, just wait and see..

Ok...I'm with you now.Yep. Tate is and outstanding prospect. Thought you meant this year ....

I suppose Edelman could surprise but Parrish is one of the premiere PR's in the NFL. This years stats may not bear that out but Parrish has fallen out of favour in Billsland and had been overtaken by McKelvin as the PR there until McKelvin got hurt.

Your statement would seem to be in conflict with reality; a top PR would be punt returning if he were truly a top PR.

Your statement would seem to be in conflict with reality; a top PR would be punt returning if he were truly a top PR.
Not sure how closely you follow the Bills but they are local for me and I see (far too) much of them, ands can tell you that McKelvin may be the best PR in the league and has taken over return duties for Parrish. This in no way means Parrish isn't any good. In fact, he's an awesome return guy. His "issue" is he's small and frail.

BTW, many Bills fans also think that Parrish could be a dynamite and dynamic receiver if used properly. Problem for the Bills is they don't have anyone capable of figuring out how to use Parrish properly. Not that this would matter because they don't have a QB that can throw the ball more than 30 yards downfield.

Last edited:
If Brady wants Branch, then hell yeah, let's get Branch.

Who cares if he's made of glass and has lost a step or ten... if it makes Brady happy, it's good for the team.

Not sure how closely you follow the Bills but they are local for me and I see (far too) much of them, ands can tell you that McKelvin may be the best PR in the league and has taken over return duties for Parrish. This in no way means Parrish isn't any good. In fact, he's an awesome return guy. His "issue" is he's small and frail.

BTW, many Bills fans also think that Parrish could be a dynamite and dynamic receiver if used properly. Problem for the Bills is they don't have anyone capable of figuring out how to use Parrish properly. Not that this would matter because they don't have a QB that can throw the ball more than 30 yards downfield.

Again, it would seem that you are personally high on Parrish - higher than most others.

Bills can't use anyone properly- For all we know, Lee Evans might be one of the most talented WRs in the league, but when you're running the **** Jauron playbook, your WRs won't be a part of the game. I wouldn't be totally against the Pats taking a chance on Parrish.

Again, it would seem that you are personally high on Parrish - higher than most others.
I have seen Parrish return kicks many times. He's extremely talented and has been productive in the return game. His problem is he plays for the helpless Bills.

Either they are both exceptional, or the BLOCKING is very good. Considering that the Bills have had "exceptional" punt returners for years, I'd say its the blocking.

Bobby April is a very good special teams coach. Its as simple as that.

Even if Branch's 2009 salary is guaranteed, there would be incentive for him to renegotiate down. If he doesn't, he picks up the rest of his $4.9M this year, gets cut after the season, doesn't see his $12M over 2010-11, and instead gets pennies on the free agent scrap heap.

THe real money is in the bonus.

If Branch is smart (and still a good player), he doesn't renegotiate. Gets cut. Plays a year at a stallworth-style show-me deal, and then gets a big free agent deal.

I highly doubt management - which has largely been turned over since 2006 when the Branch saga occurred - would hold a grudge if it meant bringing improving their football team.

Not for a fourth - at best it would be a sixth.

Or Galloway for Branch straight up. Not that I would do it, personally (I can't see the Pats paying his type of salary for a half a season's worth of production), but I wouldn't put it past the Pats to do it. He certainly does know the system and may have a little bit left in the tank... at least enough to contribute here.

Either they are both exceptional, or the BLOCKING is very good. Considering that the Bills have had "exceptional" punt returners for years, I'd say its the blocking.

Bobby April is a very good special teams coach. Its as simple as that.
Like anything in a team game it's a combo of many things.

But both Parrish and McKelvin have histories of being upper echelon return men. In fact, both thrived as return guys in college so to dismiss what they are now doing at the NFL level as the result of top blocking and not giving them any due, is inaccurate.

But both Parrish and McKelvin have histories of being upper echelon return men. In fact, both thrived as return guys in college so to dismiss what they are now doing at the NFL level as the result of top blocking and not giving them any due, is inaccurate.

What are there, 75 guys a year who thrive as return men in college?

Next you're going to tell me that Johhny Knox is a fantastic kick returner and the Bears don't have fantastic blocking.

Yes, McKelvin and Parrish are good kick returners. They're a dime a dozen. The Pats had multiple guys last year who were good kick returners. The blocking is what makes them great, just like Hester and Knox and Daniel Manning.

Last edited:
The TO methodology: You need a new deal to make real money.

He has a better chance of getting one if he comes to the Pats and takes a pay cut than if he stays with the Seahawks and plays out this year's salary and gets cut.

What are there, 75 guys a year who thrive as return men in college?

Next you're going to tell me that Johhny Knox is a fantastic kick returner and the Bears don't have fantastic blocking.

Yes, McKelvin and Parrish are good kick returners. They're a dime a dozen. The Pats had multiple guys last year who were good kick returners. The blocking is what makes them great, just like Hester and Knox and Daniel Manning.
As I said previously it's a combo of things that goes into making any NFL player excel. It's not different in the return game.

But both McKelvin and Parrish were known to be star return guys prior to being drafted by the Bills.

As for Knox, no I wouldn't tell you that since I have no first knowledge of the Bears situation to make a qualified statement on it.

BB just mentioned in his WEEI interview that he'd be surprised if the Pats made a trade at the deadline.

As I said previously it's a combo of things that goes into making any NFL player excel. It's not different in the return game.

No, its not different in the return game, except the percentages. Return game is probably 95% blocking, 5% return man.

The same teams always have good return teams, despite changing return guys. The same teams always have bad return teams, despite changing return guys. Its the blocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back