PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seattle Game Winning TD Breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always interesting to read these breakdowns from people that know a lot more than I do. Thanks for posting.

Great breakdown. I watched this play in a loop last night and noticed:

1. The combo of play fake and blocking to the left ate up the Pats' DL. After Wilson quickly rolled back to his right, he had all the time in the world to make his read.

2. The TE coming back in motion to the right, stopping in front of Cunningham, then staying in to block was brilliant. Cunningham half-heartedly engaged the TE, likely expecting the run to the opposite side. After the fake and Wilson's roll back towards him, he appeared to be hesitant to continue his rush because he was probably concerned about the TE releasing for a pass in an area with few defenders. Once it was clear the TE was comitted to blocking, Cunningham amped up his rush, but by then it was too late.

3. The left wideout did his job drawing Ebner to his side of the field, opening up the middle for Rice.

4. Tavon clearly got caught flat-footed on Rice's break back towards the inside.

5. Wilson made his throw the moment Rice broke back inside and made a beauty of a throw: 55-57 yards in the air.

It's sad that Seattle won the game on a 2-person route with a throw to the primary receiver...executed exactly as drawn up, but the play call was perfect against the D it was up against. It also shows that Tavon got schooled. Hopefully he and the rest of the secondary learned from this.

Regards,
Chris

Great breakdown. I watched this play in a loop last night and noticed:

1. The combo of play fake and blocking to the left ate up the Pats' DL. After Wilson quickly rolled back to his right, he had all the time in the world to make his read.

2. The TE coming back in motion to the right, stopping in front of Cunningham, then staying in to block was brilliant. Cunningham half-heartedly engaged the TE, likely expecting the run to the opposite side. After the fake and Wilson's roll back towards him, he appeared to be hesitant to continue his rush because he was probably concerned about the TE releasing for a pass in an area with few defenders. Once it was clear the TE was comitted to blocking, Cunningham amped up his rush, but by then it was too late.

3. The left wideout did his job drawing Ebner to his side of the field, opening up the middle for Rice.

4. Tavon clearly got caught flat-footed on Rice's break back towards the inside.

5. Wilson made his throw the moment Rice broke back inside and made a beauty of a throw: 55-57 yards in the air.

It's sad that Seattle won the game on a 2-person route with a throw to the primary receiver...executed exactly as drawn up, but the play call was perfect against the D it was up against. It also shows that Tavon got schooled. Hopefully he and the rest of the secondary learned from this.

Regards,
Chris

Lets just hope that you aren't the only one who's watched the play in a loop.

A lesson learned for the rookie.

But honestly would any of you expect Chung not to get beat on that play?

Last edited:
Other than questions of pass protection, it kind of makes me wonder why a team wouldn't run this play 20 times a game against our D. You have 2 receivers running at full speed toward a mostly stationary pair of safeties, with the option to break in either direction as they approach. Seems like a formula to get guys open deep downfield quite often.

I know Ebner's position is better, but a well-thrown ball to the outside to the left receiver would seem to have a pretty good chance of being completed as well. Maybe I'm just underestimating the accuracy needed on the throw, but I don't see the safety closing that gap in time to stop the pass.

So what's the defense against this? Pass rush, of course. Jamming the receivers at the line? Better reaction times by our safeties?

Last edited:
So what's the defense against this? Pass rush, of course. Jamming the receivers at the line? Better reaction times by our safeties?

The middle of the front 7 bit hard on the play-action (Jones and the RDT had no chance as they got swarmed by blockers). In that under 2min situation with only 1 Seattle TO left, that was the bad reaction.

This, along with Tavon getting caught flat-footed, was huge in the success of the play.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill