PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seattle cornerbacks suspended

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NFL never says what the illegal substance is, so it's up to everyone's imagination of what it could be. Most players just say it's Adderall so it doesn't seem as serious. The media gullibly believes them and goes with it.

Exactly. In all actuality it very well could have been steroids or other PEDs.

Since the NFL won't comment, they usually lie. Adderall has become the excuse that is used every single time, and as I said---why wouldn't you just let the league know if you were prescribed the drug so you wouldn't get in trouble?

Obviously by now the entire NFL knows that you are allowed to take Adderal as long as you have a valid prescription and let them know as soon as possible, before the test occurs.

I am not buying the excuse that all of these players "do not know the rules" anymore. They are either getting away with taking steroids or PEDs, or they are using Adderal for recreational purposes because it's popular and doesn't carry the same stigma that Cocaine and other speed does.

I am not buying the excuse that all of these players "do not know the rules" anymore. They are either getting away with taking steroids or PEDs, or they are using Adderal for recreational purposes because it's popular and doesn't carry the same stigma that Cocaine and other speed does.

I can see your future...you get a job working for the NFL...you become head of drug testing...you change your handle on Patsfans to "suspendafly"...and the rest is history

Last edited:
wonder what Sherman's tweet page looks like now?

He already blocked me from one of his threads.

*Update* I am now blocked from following him. He's Mad bro.

I am not a belligerent guy. Made one 6-5 comment, and one PED comment. Both pretty benign. This makes it so worth it.

Last edited:
One would think that something has to change, such as harsher and longer punishments/suspensions for the positive tests, or the NFL actually commenting whether or not the substance was or wasn't Adderal.

Even though I doubt we'd ever see an instance where they said exactly what it was, they should in theory be able to confirm or deny if it is indeed Adderal or not.

It seems as though the players are realizing quite a large loophole in the system, and not only are they unafraid of the consequences, they are actually making a bit of a mockery under the current standards.

If I were a player I may seriously weigh my options and risks with attempting to take PEDs until my measly 4 game suspension. If you are lucky you may very well be able to get away with it for a couple years before you get caught. That can lead to quite an advantage in many areas, which would not only lead to more success but also a much bigger payday.

How is Adderall not a big deal? It is methamphetamine - look it up in the Physician's Desk Reference. If these fools have ADD/ADHD, there are drugs available that are not methamphetamine. There is only ONE reason these guys are taking it - the new bennies. Should be illegal for NFL players during the season.

Last edited:
How is Adderall not a big deal? It is methamphetamine - look it up in the Physician's Desk Reference. If these fools have ADD/ADHD, there are drugs available that are not methamphetamine. There is only ONE reason these guys are taking it - the new bennies. Should be illegal for NFL players during the season.

As you note in your post, Adderall is taken for ADD, among other things. Therefore, claiming that there is only one reason that players are taking it is completely ignorant and speculative, and runs counter to your own words.

Last edited:
One would think that something has to change, such as harsher and longer punishments/suspensions for the positive tests, or the NFL actually commenting whether or not the substance was or wasn't Adderal...

If the league comments, the player who gets commented on will sue. The player will win big.

One would think that something has to change, such as harsher and longer punishments/suspensions for the positive tests, or the NFL actually commenting whether or not the substance was or wasn't Adderal.

Legally, because of HIPAA rules, the league can't comment. Only the players can.

Even though I doubt we'd ever see an instance where they said exactly what it was, they should in theory be able to confirm or deny if it is indeed Adderal or not.

It seems as though the players are realizing quite a large loophole in the system, and not only are they unafraid of the consequences, they are actually making a bit of a mockery under the current standards.

If I were a player I may seriously weigh my options and risks with attempting to take PEDs until my measly 4 game suspension. If you are lucky you may very well be able to get away with it for a couple years before you get caught. That can lead to quite an advantage in many areas, which would not only lead to more success but also a much bigger payday.

The problem is that, once you're hit with the 4 game suspension, the next step is a full year if you test positive again. Also, the number of "random" drug tests increases significantly for you once you get hit with that 4 game suspension. They can, literally, show up at anytime to test you. And declining a test is the equivalent of an admission of guilt.

Legally, because of HIPAA rules, the league can't comment. Only the players can.

The problem is that, once you're hit with the 4 game suspension, the next step is a full year if you test positive again. Also, the number of "random" drug tests increases significantly for you once you get hit with that 4 game suspension. They can, literally, show up at anytime to test you. And declining a test is the equivalent of an admission of guilt.

It just seems to be getting to where it is a significant problem anymore, and there is a lot of grey area in the ruling and legalize.

In other words, I understand the HIPAA regulations etc, but if a player tests positive for marijuana it is well known to all involved, not to mention the media also. If a player tests for Adderal though, no one can comment as to whether or not it was actually Adderal, or if it was PEDs or Steroids etc. It just seems kind of stupid that they would be able to comment on one substance but not the other.

It just seems to be getting to where it is a significant problem anymore, and there is a lot of grey area in the ruling and legalize.

In other words, I understand the HIPAA regulations etc, but if a player tests positive for marijuana it is well known to all involved, not to mention the media also. If a player tests for Adderal though, no one can comment as to whether or not it was actually Adderal, or if it was PEDs or Steroids etc. It just seems kind of stupid that they would be able to comment on one substance but not the other.

One of the ways that you know it's non-PED is by the number of games suspended. If it's a 2 game suspension, you're looking at conduct or non-PED drugs.

If the league comments, the player who gets commented on will sue. The player will win big.

No, I understand that, but it seems strange that they can readily admit that it was marijuana etc, but not differentiate whether or not the PEDs were Adderal or steroids.

Obviously we all know that there is a big difference between Adderal and other PEDs such as steroids, and they also have to realize that there is a grey area where players simply cry "it was medicine for my ADD," therefore one would think that it would be changed or addressed on some level.

As you note in your post, Adderall is taken for ADD, among other things. Therefore, claiming that there is only one reason that players are taking it is completely ignorant and speculative, and runs counter to your own words.

Deus - you need to re-read what he said. He said that there are other options for ADD/ADHD drugs that are not Methamphetamines so there should be no reason to be taking the Adderall for that diagnosis.

There is only one other reason that Adderall is prescribed. That is for narcolepsy. There is only one player that I can find who has played in the NFL and had Narcolepsy. That is Sergio Kindle. There are other drugs that can be prescribed for narcolepsy other than Adderall, though because many are stimulants, they are probably on the list of banned drugs.

One of the ways that you know it's non-PED is by the number of games suspended. If it's a 2 game suspension, you're looking at conduct or non-PED drugs.

Right, but it just seems strange to me personally that they wouldn't be able to differentiate from actual medicine in Adderal, or steroids, seeing as how they seem to be getting played with the same old excuse card over and over again.

At any rate, I guess it's just one of those things.

No, I understand that, but it seems strange that they can readily admit that it was marijuana etc, but not differentiate whether or not the PEDs were Adderal or steroids.

Obviously we all know that there is a big difference between Adderal and other PEDs such as steroids, and they also have to realize that there is a grey area where players simply cry "it was medicine for my ADD," therefore one would think that it would be changed or addressed on some level.

Why would you think it would be changed? No offense, but you and I don't have the right to know any of it. Nor should we.

I think that this is just going to be one of those controversial topics that we could talk about for a long time, so there doesn't seem to be much that can be done, but there seems to be a growing pattern of more involved every single season so eventually they may have to address it a little more.

Then again, we may be having the same conversation 5 yrs from now.

I think that this is just going to be one of those controversial topics that we could talk about for a long time, so there doesn't seem to be much that can be done, but there seems to be a growing pattern of more involved every single season so eventually they may have to address it a little more.

Then again, we may be having the same conversation 5 yrs from now.

For starters, they could eliminate all testing for anything that's not a PED. That would solve a lot of problems. Despite what it so obviously thinks, the NFL is not an enforcement arm of the US government.

Why would you think it would be changed? No offense, but you and I don't have the right to know any of it. Nor should we.

Well, I can certainly understand and respect the privacy factor for those who are actually prescribed the medication for a real reason, and that's why they have the protocol set forth of simply allowing the league notification. That isn't the issue.

The issue seems to be that there is a grey area where people can continue to get away with taking serious PEDs/steroids until they are caught. We don't really know how much that is affecting the game, or any of the specifics of how big of a problem it is, but when one can simply cry "all I was doing is taking a well-known prescription for my disorder" and they are actually taking steroids it becomes a problem.

I am not claiming to have an answer or solution, but I am wondering if things will eventually be different down the road.

For starters, they could eliminate all testing for anything that's not a PED. That would solve a lot of problems. Despite what it so obviously thinks, the NFL is not an enforcement arm of the US government.

I actually believe that could be an effective solution.

If the player isn't taking anything that may effect their performance in a positive way then is probably isn't anyone's business.

Of course then it would be a free for all like the NBA with marijuana, but that's much better than players being able to enhance their performance.

I suppose many will simply take the road where they will try and push the limit until they are caught for the first time, thus getting slapped with the 4 game initial suspension.

I suppose in all reality they are doing a better job of enforcing substances than I am giving them credit for, but it does seem like we are constantly hearing about the Adderal problem more and more.

No ADD and ADHD are one in the same with the minor distinction of hyperactivity (the H in ADHD - the rest is the same) - hence, ONE reason - it is Methamphetamine.

No ADD and ADHD are one in the same with the minor distinction of hyperactivity (the H in ADHD - the rest is the same) - hence, ONE reason - it is Methamphetamine.

There are certainly other medications available, but I think the popular thought is that the stimulants are between 70-80% effective, so that is what many of the doctors prescribe.

It is an interesting thought though that the NFL could force a player to take any of the other non-stimulant medications available, and the list is about a mile long. There are other medications that a person can take, it's just whether or not they/their doctor wants to be patient enough to see if certain things will work as well.

The problem (along with the players' rights) is that an NFL bylaw like that would probably be nixed in a court of law pretty quickly.

Then again it is possible that the long arm of the NFL law could in theory ban all of those substances too, anything is possible with them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye