PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Season is far from over

Status
Not open for further replies.
The title of this post says it all. We all need to relax. We have 4 winnable games left. Go back and look at years past as a barometer. I believe that only under the worst case scenario will 10-6 not make the playoffs. Baltimore, New York Jets, and Miami are not going to all run the table. All of those teams have plenty of losable games on their schedules. I think if we win our 2 remainign conference games and one of the NFC games we are probably in.

Last edited:
Cupcake schedule the last 4 games.

Seattle is 2-10.....that's a gimme.

Oakland is 3-9 and lost to the KC Chiefs at home....that's a gimme.

Arizona is 7-5, but remember it's on the East Coast, and they are notoriously a bad road team, especially on the East Coast. They could win if the D falls apart, but it is definitely a good chance to win.

Buffalo is 6-6, we've won 10 straight against them....they look flat and maybe ready to tank.

This team should be 11-5.....10-6 AT WORST!

If the Jets lose to Miami or Buffalo, and we tie them in the W/L....we have the TIEBRAKER edge!

Because we all know its so easy to win on the road in the NFL. :rolleyes:

look, there are no "gimmies". If this defense plays the way it has any loss is possible.

this team, unfortunately, is reminding me more and more of the 2002 team that went 9-7 every week that goes by.

I am hopeful for the next couple of games. I expect our team to be there when the playoffs start and I anticipate their level of play to reflect this, the sentiment that we belong...

It's close to over.

We have a very low chance for the wild card. We need 2 8-4 teams to drop 2 games this month. If the Pats/Ravens/Colts finish 11-5 they get the tie breaker for conference record.

At this point, pray we win out. Pray Miami beats the Jets.

I honestly don't give a ****. I'm far from a fair weather fan, so save your comments. I would rather forget about this team in December than have some blind faith they can make the playoffs and deal with another defensive melt down in the final seconds of the post season. all season the defense went from average to poor. That's not a good sign.

When all 5 of your losses are to playoff teams, that stinks of 1 and done. I'd rather get the better draft pick. Now if we can sneak into another division crown, I'd take that. But who cares about a weak wild card entrance. This defense is not capable of turning it around. All season the same thing has been on the field, the same thing has failed.

I remember back in the day guys went down and this defense could recover. This season we lost a very, very slow and vunerable SS. We had no answer for his depature. That's on Belichick, considering this was his last season anyway. We lost a ROOKIE CB in Wheatley. I'm so tired of that excuse that rookie CB hurt us. If you go into the season depending on a rookie, you have it coming to you. They tried replacing Samuel with decent corners, Bryant didn't even make the final cut and they had to settle for O'Neal who has been less than stellar. That's not bad luck, that's bad management. We lost Adalius Thomas. I don't even see him as a big loss. He isn't used as a pass rusher in this defense. He led the team with 5 sacks, that's pretty crappy for any pass rusher and speaks volumes about this defense the fact that 5 sacks would be the most of any single player.

The problem with this team isn't Brady. With Brady, we're proably one win better with a severely flawed defense. The coaching has got to improve. Bill has used a soft scheme the last 3 years and its gotten worse every year. He needs to change that. He needs to get the proper horses. Pees needs to go. The guy has no balls in his play calling. Just soft, ineffective defense. Brady can come back and be as good as 2007 next year. It will mean nothing until this defense gets better.

I'm done ranting.

That's the best rant I've ever heard and thank you for saying it so i won't have to. What's the sense of being in the playoffs when your one and done?
The defense is beyond bad and yes it is BB'S fault. We need good draft position more than the playoffs.

That's the best rant I've ever heard and thank you for saying it so i won't have to. What's the sense of being in the playoffs when your one and done?
The defense is beyond bad and yes it is BB'S fault. We need good draft position more than the playoffs.

It's interesting reading this post about the Pats defense. It sounds awfully similar to what Jets fans are complaining about with our defense. We rush four and play a soft defense behind it hoping to not give up big plays. The Pats at least can get pressure with four guys where as the Jets can't. I understand both coaches don't want to give up big plays but you can't be passive on defense. No question that the Steelers 3-4 defense is completely different then the one the Pats/Jets use.

It's interesting reading this post about the Pats defense. It sounds awfully similar to what Jets fans are complaining about with our defense. We rush four and play a soft defense behind it hoping to not give up big plays. The Pats at least can get pressure with four guys where as the Jets can't. I understand both coaches don't want to give up big plays but you can't be passive on defense. No question that the Steelers 3-4 defense is completely different then the one the Pats/Jets use.

Certainly a down day for your D yesterday, but I think ours made strides, to be honest. The offense laid a MAJOR egg.

I bet you guys were all breathing a sigh of relief that we lost too, eh? What happened over there, anyway? I didn't see any highlights.

Certainly a down day for your D yesterday, but I think ours made strides, to be honest. The offense laid a MAJOR egg.

I bet you guys were all breathing a sigh of relief that we lost too, eh? What happened over there, anyway? I didn't see any highlights

There wasnt any highlights, only lowlights. It was a cold, rainy sloppy game with 5 turnovers, that about says it all.

There wasnt any highlights, only lowlights. It was a cold, rainy sloppy game with 5 turnovers, that about says it all.

Ouch. I'm one of you guys! I was asking Mangold. I saw all the low-lights in Foxboro. :(

I bet you guys were all breathing a sigh of relief that we lost too, eh? What happened over there, anyway? I didn't see any highlights.

it was a strange game from the start. Denver went up 7-0 on a bizarre play where Cotchery fumbled a reverse and he was laying on top of the ball and a Broncos player jumped on him and the ball popped out.

Basically the Broncos ran a two tight end set with one tight end lined up outside and this forced the Jets to move Thomas or Pace outside which opened up the running game. They were basically able to pass at will on the Jets defense since Cutler was barely touched. The only way the Jets were going to win this game was if they scored 35+ points.

On defense the Broncos played 8 in the box with one safety 25 yards deep. While the numbers don't reflect it, the Jets had a very difficult time running the ball. The Jets had no down the field passing attack whatsoever and the short passing attack wasn't consistent due to bad passes/drops and good coverage by the Broncos.

The Jets continue to struggle against any decent QB since they have no pass rush and they are playing this passive defense.

The Jets continue to struggle against any decent QB since they have no pass rush and they are playing this passive defense.

That seemed to show up went we shifted to pass in an attempt to catch back up two weeks back. I guess Denver saw that tape. Funny though, you'd think the NEP and NYJ would be adept at the crap weather games.

Well, it doesn't make me a bit sad that you guys lost, but it does seem like the AFCE had a long day yesterday. Phins won, but lost another player, and it sure wasn't much of a margin of victory.

I guess we're facing a deadlock until the end.

Last edited:
That seemed to show up went we shifted to pass in an attempt to catch back up two weeks back. I guess Denver saw that tape. Funny though, you'd think the NEP and NYJ would be adept at the crap weather games.

Well, it doesn't make me a bit sad that you guys lost, but it does seem like the AFCE had a long day yesterday. Phins won, but lost another player, and it sure wasn't much of a margin of victory.

I guess we're facing a deadlock until the end.

Yeah I mean the division isn't that good. Buffalo was overrated from the start. Miami has been the product of a soft schedule. The Pats with Brady I'm sure would have run away with the division but you could have any other qb in the league and they wouldn't be as good as Brady. Cassell has done a real nice job but I don't know how much of it is playing in a good system with players like Moss, Welker, Watson and Faulk and one of the better lines in the league. He may turn out to be the next great qb or he may turn out to be the next Scott Mitchell.

The Jets have done a nice job rebuilding but they still have some holes that have to be addressed. Once Favre retires the Jets will have to deal with the qb situation once again.

The schedule next year is going to be much harder for both teams since they will have to play Indy, Tennessee, Jax, Tampa, Carolina and Atlanta.

The Jets have done a nice job rebuilding but they still have some holes that have to be addressed. Once Favre retires the Jets will have to deal with the qb situation once again.

The schedule next year is going to be much harder for both teams since they will have to play Indy, Tennessee, Jax, Tampa, Carolina and Atlanta.

Yeah, it's too bad you guys inherited the chaotic situation that is Brett Favre.

With our QB change (temporary) we all reduced our expectations. Lately we've just been getting set up for a nice dashing of the ol' hope, but I don't think anyone has had some kind of sixth sense vibe we'd be stroll into the big game.

For you guys, it had to happen fast, and has to an extent. Trick seems to be you STILL can't tell what you've got yet. That seems almost as frustrating as what we're dealing with. I sure hope if Brett retres he gives you guys some notice or next year could SUPER suck for the Jets. Which, I must by nature add, is ok with me as a Pats fan.

Upside, your defense will only get better, imo.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's too bad you guys inherited the chaotic situation that is Brett Favre.

With our QB change (temporary) we all reduced our expectations. Lately we've just been getting set up for a nice dashing of the ol' hope, but I don't think anyone has had some kind of sixth sense vibe we'd be stroll into the big game.

For you guys, it had to happen fast, and has to an extent. Trick seems to be you STILL can't tell what you've got yet. That seems almost as frustrating as what we're dealing with. I sure hope if Brett retres he gives you guys some notice or next year could SUPER suck for the Jets. Which, I must by nature add, is ok with me as a Pats fan.

Upside, your defense will only get better, imo.

Yes that would be interesting to see if Brett retires after this season. IMO, its SB or bust for him.

But to add onto JSN's comments, the Jets did a very well this year and surprised a lot of people.

Good luck with the rest of your season.

How can fellow Pats fan say "whats the point of making it to the playoffs, we'll be one and done" is beyond me. This is the NFL! ANYTHING is possible. (take note of last years SB)

How can fellow Pats fan say "whats the point of making it to the playoffs, we'll be one and done" is beyond me. This is the NFL! ANYTHING is possible. (take note of last years SB)

still hurts.....

The season is not over. Anything can happen. I will certainly root and hope for the best. But I am not blind: we are in December, and there is no sign that the Pats can compete. In fact, I see little if any improvement at all. Third down is a disaster, the red zone defense now ranks second to LAST in the league, the special teams give up big returns on a regular basis...

Last edited:
Since this is a "cheer up", allow me to add this:

09000d5d80cf0824_gallery_600.jpg

83862154.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back