PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Season Ending Injuries around the league

Has anyone produced any hard evidence that injuries really are on the rise? Because if not, then anecdotal evidence can be pretty easily explained by a) increased roster sizes, and b) greater access to information now that every team's practices are being tweeted in real time and injuries are being posted to threads like this one.

The NFL’s injury surveillance data, courtesy of Edgeworth Economics, shows a slow upward trend in the total number of injuries sustained in all practices and games from 2004 (2,623) to 2012 (3,126); a spike of 4,493 injuries in 2011 was attributed mainly to greater reporting of minor injuries that season. The data also shows a steady annual increase in the number of injuries that require surgery and those that result in eight or more days of missed playing time.

2013: Year of the Injury? | MMQB | SI.com

Also interesting (IMO) from that piece:

West says that studies show about 70 percent of ACL tears result from non-contact injuries; our unofficial sample, showing 75 percent non-contact injuries, is on par with that figure.

Has anyone produced any hard evidence that injuries really are on the rise? Because if not, then anecdotal evidence can be pretty easily explained by a) increased roster sizes, and b) greater access to information now that every team's practices are being tweeted in real time and injuries are being posted to threads like this one.

To answer your question, yes, Jenny Vrentas of Sports Illustrated actually wrote about this back in January..

2013: Year of the Injury? | MMQB | SI.com

Since 2009, the number of players ending up on Injured Reserve has been on a steady upward climb.

Furthermore, since 2004, the TOTAL number of injuries has been climbing. In fact, in 2011, the number of injuries jumped to over 4100 according to the article, which got it's information from the NFL. Now, many of us who have questioned the changes did not include 2011 as part of our talks because of the fact that the players were off for so long without OTAs and mini-camps.

To answer your question, yes, Jenny Vrentas of Sports Illustrated actually wrote about this back in January..

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/12/04/nfl-injury-increase-2013/

Since 2009, the number of players ending up on Injured Reserve has been on a steady upward climb.

Furthermore, since 2004, the TOTAL number of injuries has been climbing. In fact, in 2011, the number of injuries jumped to over 4100 according to the article, which got it's information from the NFL. Now, many of us who have questioned the changes did not include 2011 as part of our talks because of the fact that the players were off for so long without OTAs and mini-camps.

Interesting, it looks like--independently of the latest CBA's restrictions on padded practices, since the trend existed before that change--season-ending injuries have been creeping slowly but steadily upward for years now. From your link

The number of players on reserve lists with injuries is not a medical statistic, since other factors like strategy play a role in roster management, but it can give a snapshot of how teams are being affected by long-term injuries. We counted 269 injured players currently on NFL reserve lists this season, compared to the same week in 2012 (264), 2011 (252), 2010 (253) and 2009 (223). (We used archived rosters on Ourlads.com for the first week of December the past four seasons; for 2013 we counted only players currently on reserve lists, since players waived from IR can return to play for another team later in the season).
I do wonder how the addition of an in-season IR spot would affect IR statistics, although my guess would be not a whole lot. In years past, I would assume that guys like Percy Harvin and Shane Vereen would be IR'ed much like they were last year, just without the benefit of coming off of it later. Small sample size concerns aside, those numbers would seem to suggest that we're observing the effects of an issue that predates the last CBA; probably the ever-increasing size, speed, and strength of players, without a corresponding increase to the strength of their ligaments and bones.

Interesting, it looks like--independently of the latest CBA's restrictions on padded practices, since the trend existed before that change--season-ending injuries have been creeping slowly but steadily upward for years now. From your link

The number of players on reserve lists with injuries is not a medical statistic, since other factors like strategy play a role in roster management, but it can give a snapshot of how teams are being affected by long-term injuries. We counted 269 injured players currently on NFL reserve lists this season, compared to the same week in 2012 (264), 2011 (252), 2010 (253) and 2009 (223). (We used archived rosters on Ourlads.com for the first week of December the past four seasons; for 2013 we counted only players currently on reserve lists, since players waived from IR can return to play for another team later in the season).
I do wonder how the addition of an in-season IR spot would affect IR statistics, although my guess would be not a whole lot. In years past, I would assume that guys like Percy Harvin and Shane Vereen would be IR'ed much like they were last year, just without the benefit of coming off of it later. Small sample size concerns aside, those numbers would seem to suggest that we're observing the effects of an issue that predates the last CBA; probably the ever-increasing size, speed, and strength of players, without a corresponding increase to the strength of their ligaments and bones.

Yes, it does look like injuries have been going up and it doesn't look like the changes in the CBA have done anything to curtail them.

#Broncos initial exam of Danny Trevathan's knee didn't immediately reveal significant damage, but they await MRI results to know for sure.

#Broncos initial exam of Danny Trevathan's knee didn't immediately reveal significant damage, but they await MRI results to know for sure.

He avoids an ACL tear, but will miss almost half the season with a broken knee.

Broncos WLB Danny Trevathan has been diagnosed with a fractured knee, and will be sidelined 6-8 weeks.
The good news is, Trevathan has avoided injury to his ACL and MCL. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Broncos are targeting a Week 5 return. It's a huge blow for the Broncos, who are losing an every-down player, and have little depth at outside linebacker. A 2012 sixth-rounder, Trevathan didn't miss a game through his first two seasons, and graded out as Pro Football Focus' No. 11 4-3 outside linebacker last season. He was the Broncos' leading tackler.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7630/danny-trevathan

Rumor on nfl.com the Jesters have reached out to Asante Samuel.
Don't know how I feel about this it would suck to lose a close game to Samuel squatting on a route and getting a pick 6
on the other hand I highly doubt he could stay with Minitron or Admendola in the slot.

Asante Samuel getting an interception to seal a close game?

Thanks a lot for reminding me

He was like a Jerod Mayo to them so it's a significant loss. Obviously not as good as mayo but you get the point

SOmeone school me quick...did he do good for them last year?

Ok. The correct grammar is "did he do WELL for them last year". The first lesson is free.

I would love to see studies relating to field turf and injuries. A plastic and rubber field must place more impact stress on joints and points of impact (head/shoulder/collarbone). While maintenance ($) and condition friendly ($, just throw the heater on, forget a plow...wait, anyone remember the flooded field for the December buffalo game?) would probably make turf more ownership friendly. Kind of like an 18 game season is ownership friendly...

I wonder if losing Lyerla will give GB more incentive to re-sign Jermichael Finley.

this is turning out to be the year of the lost stars.

ACL and MCL...heart of their defense

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back