PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sean's TC report from 8/1 (in stadium)....

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanBruschi54

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Ok i have a ton to report tonight. Luckily i found seats two rows up from the field and sat directly in front of the Offensive line practices. Heard a bit of juicy "chewing out" from Dante! :D

But first things first.
Players not there included Sullivan, Samuel, Russ Hochstein, Seymour and Bruschi (which is now known as a "wrist injury")

-While QB's were warming up they each had a center snapping to them. Luckily Koppen was snapping balls to Brady even though he wasn't dressed in uniform.

-Belichick worked all day with the Defense. Never came over to the offense once. Was watching ST's as well.

- QB's, WR's and RB's moved to passing drills. Brady was mostly dead on with his passes. Threw one pass almost over Watson but Watson made an amazing one handed grab. Thomas, Watson, Brown, Reche, Maroney, Jackson, Dillon and Stone all caught the ball regularly.

-Maroney on a side note i watched extra careful catching to see if he is a body receiver or a hands receiver. He caught 7 out of 8 balls with his hands only. Including one way over thrown by one of either Bramlet or Mortenson. Maroney actually ran into the offensive line drills to catch the ball over his shoulder in bounds. Got big cheers. There's nothing bad i can really report on the Maroney front. He's fast, has good ball possession, catches with hands and holds on, picks up on Blitzing coverages, i mean if Dillon falters a bit this kid looks like a diamond mine.

-Bam Childress was back tonight and caught some balls and looks like his competition is basically Jon Stone. Stone has been remarkable through camp and I've been too four of them already. I read some reporter say he looked horrible, but guess what he makes every catch thrown his way even if its a bad pass. Bam Childress and Jon Stone could make for a great 5th WR battle spot. I wouldn't be surprised to see Stone win either.

-Now to the offensive line. The starting line consisted of Light, Mankins, Neal and Gorin. Followed by random packages of other OL we have in camp at this moment. When it came time for blocking drills Dante was watching everyone extra carefully. Light looked strong, kept his posture push well. Same for Neal, Gorin (yes i said Gorin) and especially Mankins. While the following players were told that they were not blocking correctly. Wesley Britt at center, Billy Yates and Nick Steitz. The last two visually disgusted Dante making him shake his head in disgust and tell both players. That's not the way your supposed to be blocking. Talking to Yates specifically he told he was blocking out and not pushing straight up into the player, saying that that would cause an open hole for someone to blitz. Which is true. Britt just snapping issues. Another side note. Barthelmes, Mrucz, Stevenson look rather identical to some of our players starting. Don't be surprised to see them on the PS if not immediately on the team.

-Wilson took more snaps at Corner. Having me believe maybe Belichick doesn't completely trust Hobbs at corner yet. Sanders and Hawkins were the two starting safeties. Chad Scott had some good stuff tonight really showed he could start in a pinch. Warfield, well he still scares me a bit. Something about him right now makes me feel uneasy he hasn't looked bad but hasn't done anything good yet either. Tebcuky and Mel Mitchell played as the backup safeties. Mel looked a bit lost out there. Tebucky looked like a headhunter. Hobbs made a few good plays tonight when he was actually in.

-Chad Brown looks quick at outside. Looks like he could have had a sack or two if it weren't just a practice. Didn't see much of TBC or Alexander. Klecko looked like he was playing nose and DE tonight. Weird.

-Brady at the 2 minute drive was flawless. They could have started that clock at 55 seconds and Brady would have scored he looked that dead on. two passes to Reche (both great catches by him). One Sliding catch by Jackson. One TD catch from Brown.

- Cassel in the two minute dive not so good but still managed to get down to the 18. If Keron didn't miss the pass off his hands Cassel would have scored too. The thing about Cassel whenever i see him though is that he has the arm power to throw but not the accuracy at times. He can throw a dead on pass one play but then the next throw way over everyone's head or right into the ground 5 feet ahead of the receiver.

That's all i have for now. I might have forgot some stuff and if i have i will post it later. But if anyone has any questions about the practice or about a certain player don't be afraid to ask. Also feel free to criticize!

Thanks for reading.

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent thanks for the report man.
clappyhi3.gif

Thanks, that was better than we get from the "pros".

I'm not sure Wilson at CB is a reflection on Hobbs, more on the depth at CB in general. With Gay still out, we have only Hobbs and Samuel unless they like Scott or Warfield.

Everything about Maroney sounds nuts good. Even his personality, Tomase has a little blurb about how Maroney said "Hey, Chad Jackson’s here everybody" when Jackson ran out for his first practice.

BelichickFan said:
Thanks, that was better than we get from the "pros".

I'm not sure Wilson at CB is a reflection on Hobbs, more on the depth at CB in general. With Gay still out, we have only Hobbs and Samuel unless they like Scott or Warfield.

Everything about Maroney sounds nuts good. Even his personality, Tomase has a little blurb about how Maroney said "Hey, Chad Jackson’s here everybody" when Jackson ran out for his first practice.
I should have explained the Wilson and Hobbs thing more clearly. Hobbs in the last few practices has been caught by Belichick for penalties like holding and PI, aka stupid penalties. Hobbs was coming right out with Samuel but now sometimes its Wilson in his spot and Hobbs comes in after Wilson. Doesn't really have to correlate with one another but just an assumption for TC.

I don't know about what people on here think about Tomase but hes becoming one of my most hated reporters. I can take any one of his TC reports so far and point out two or three things wrong with each. In which he got stuff wrong. I dont even think he's out there watching.

You guys are doing God's work.

R

SeanBruschi54 said:
I should have explained the Wilson and Hobbs thing more clearly. Hobbs in the last few practices has been caught by Belichick for penalties like holding and PI, aka stupid penalties. Hobbs was coming right out with Samuel but now sometimes its Wilson in his spot and Hobbs comes in after Wilson. Doesn't really have to correlate with one another but just an assumption for TC.

I don't know about what people on here think about Tomase but hes becoming one of my most hated reporters. I can take any one of his TC reports so far and point out two or three things wrong with each. In which he got stuff wrong. I dont even think he's out there watching.
I am very much starting to dislike Tomase but no way he elevates to Ron Borges.

Kdo5 said:
I am very much starting to dislike Tomase but no way he elevates to Ron Borges.
Well Tomase's source (aka the hot dog vendor) says Seymour will be in camp 2morrow. So if its true i might let up on him a bit. But if not then that will be the final piece for me.

I don't always agree with Tomase, but I think he's a good writer and he's a genuine guy. Possible he's saying things some of us don't like to hear, possible he's trying to flex his "real journalist" muscles a bit too much. He's a good guy, though. Give him time. His "point after" blog is really good, and no one has the Bruschi thing but him.

Sean,

I'd like to confirm 6'8" OT Wesley Britt (65 white) was working at center?

Thanks for posting!

Your report makes it:

Henry drop: 3
Cassel errant pass: 1

Box_O_Rocks said:
Sean,

I'd like to confirm 6'8" OT Wesley Britt (65 white) was working at center?

Thanks for posting!

Your report makes it:

Henry drop: 3
Cassel errant pass: 1
I didnt even realize he was 6'8"!!! I didnt look to much into it though because Britt plays tackle but thought it was weird to see him set up inside. Maybe just moving people around to see what fits best where.

Henry must have soft hands because thats not the first time i've seen a ball hit his hands and slide right out.

I'd also change Cassel errant pass to about 5 for the entire TC.

Last edited by a moderator:
SeanBruschi54 said:
I didnt even realize he was 6'8"!!! I didnt look to much into it though because Britt plays tackle but thought it was weird to see him set up inside. Maybe just moving people around to see what fits best where.

Henry must have soft hands because thats not the first time i've seen a ball hit his hands and slide right out.

I'd also change Cassel errant pass to about 5 for the entire TC.
Wow, I know Dante likes to cross train, but Britt would seem to need OT reps more than center reps at this stage of camp - it's not like we have a severe shortage to compete at center (Koppen, Hochstein, Mruczkowski, Tucker, Barthelmes have all been college or pro centers, plus Yates and Stevenson have taken center reps in practice opportunities).

Cassel's errant throw refers to Albert Breer's description of the toss to Henry in the 2 minute drill - I'm not as worried at this stage about his throws being a bit off target, consider his game experience since High School and the kid is obviously green when it comes to having the right touch and location (and our Tommy spoils us a bit too).

Box_O_Rocks said:
Wow, I know Dante likes to cross train, but Britt would seem to need OT reps more than center reps at this stage of camp - it's not like we have a severe shortage to compete at center (Koppen, Hochstein, Mruczkowski, Tucker, Barthelmes have all been college or pro centers, plus Yates and Stevenson have taken center reps in practice opportunities).

Britt at center leapt out at me, too. The guy is pure tackle...so I'm not going to wring my hands over his snapping difficulties!

Any TC denizens have insight on the OT battle? With Kaczur out and Light practicing sparingly, I've been hoping to hear how Britt and O'Callaghan look

We need a #3, emergency backup center. He would be the Game Day Backup if Koppen or Hoch were out even for one game. Is that person Britt, Stevenson or Tucker? I think the last OL spot is at stake.

Box_O_Rocks said:

Cassel's errant throw refers to Albert Breer's description of the toss to Henry in the 2 minute drill - I'm not as worried at this stage about his throws being a bit off target, consider his game experience since High School and the kid is obviously green when it comes to having the right touch and location (and our Tommy spoils us a bit too).

SeanBruschi54 said:
- Cassel in the two minute dive not so good but still managed to get down to the 18. If Keron didn't miss the pass off his hands Cassel would have scored too. The thing about Cassel whenever i see him though is that he has the arm power to throw but not the accuracy at times. He can throw a dead on pass one play but then the next throw way over everyone's head or right into the ground 5 feet ahead of the receiver.

Sean

" ..can throw a dead on pass one play but then the next throw way over everyone's"

This could have been said of Brady especially in early years. It could be
that they are reacting to something they see on the field and are reacting
to play it safe. I thought this often of Brady when his passes were really off
target. I think Cassel is going to be fine. He have bad days like Brady but
with more experience he should get even better.

No mention of O'Callaghan? .... was he in the OLine rotation?

BTW, very good report ... Thanks

Last edited:
Love your reports, Sean! You watch VERY SMARTLY.

SeanBruschi54 said:
.... Koppen was snapping balls to Brady even though he wasn't dressed in uniform.
Music to my ears!

-Bam Childress was back tonight and caught some balls and looks like his competition is basically Jon Stone. Stone has been remarkable through camp and I've been too four of them already. I read some reporter say he looked horrible, but guess what he makes every catch thrown his way even if its a bad pass. Bam Childress and Jon Stone could make for a great 5th WR battle spot. I wouldn't be surprised to see Stone win either.

On the strength of your repeated observations, my mock roster now advances Stone
ahead of all the other unknowns ... to right behind Bam - and not so very far behind either.

.... Cassel in the two minute dive not so good but still managed to get down to the 18. If Keron didn't miss the pass off his hands Cassel would have scored too. The thing about Cassel whenever i see him though is that he has the arm power to throw but not the accuracy at times. He can throw a dead on pass one play but then the next throw way over everyone's head or right into the ground 5 feet ahead of the receiver.

If, as you report elsewhere, he has thrown about 5 bad ones ... and you've observed 4 sessions ...
this doesn't compute. Seems to me like very high percentage accuracy.
Care to address this specifically?

Tucker's name never comes up in anyone's camp reports. SeanB, here, focuses like a laser on the OL.
Are we to infer that, up to now, Tucker has been a non-factor?

mgteich said:
We need a #3, emergency backup center. He would be the Game Day Backup if Koppen or Hoch were out even for one game. Is that person Britt, Stevenson or Tucker? I think the last OL spot is at stake.
Interesting thought...if they start the season with 10...

Light - Mankins - Koppen - Neal - Gorin

Kaczur - Hochstein - Britt - O'Callaghan - (Mruczkowski/Tucker)

Practice Squad: Hand/Stevenson/Barthelmes/Steitz

Shadow Roster: Yates, ...

The question for later in the camp is whether Koppen and/or Kaczur are available to play. We would also need to consider game day inactives, Britt would seem to be at the cutoff point for activating 7 or 8 if you used the lineup above. If anything, Koppen's PUP status helps Mruczkowski and Tucker, right now I'd prefer to go with one of them over the 4th or 5th tackle just to have more depth at center. I'm very ready for Aug 11th so I can get a look at our OL depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back