PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sean Payton asks Bill Parcells to be the Saints interim Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
**** McPherson is not available?

I can see the headlines now .....

Saints Reel in "The Tuna"!

if sean Payton is comeing back next year then the interim HC has to come from in house, the saints are a vet team that can win with any HC as long as Brees is the QB they dont need the 71 year old circus that is Parcells to come to town

Parcells would be a logical choice, Payton is a protege of his, he does not want to be there for a long time and Parcells could handle the idiotic press..

As he was already a HOF finalist and didn't make it, I wonder how major a consideration that truly is for him. There are no guarantees next year or the year after that, but a successful season on a team that has the personnel but major problems right now may help his cause in reaching the Hall in the long run.

Nah. He's going to Canton without another gig. IMO the selection committee slapped him on the wrist for his multiple retirements/un-retirements and made him wait a year.

I don't see this happening for three reasons (all, of course, pure speculation from someone who has never met the man, or, in other words, worth about as much as anyone else's opinion here):

1) The Tuna's on the beach. He's watching Spring Training games in Florida. Looks like a guy who's retired to me. He's 71 years old with a history of heart problems and maybe he doesn't miss those 20 hour days.

2) Sure, one more $5--7MM+ year would be nice, but he already has a ton of money. He's got a deal with ESPN that keeps him in the mix and pays his expenses and gives him walking around money. He can get $25 or $50k for a speaking or playing golf at a corporate event if he wants a little extra cash.

3) He'd have to wait five more years to get admitted to Canton. The Selection Committee made him wait one year this time because, IMO, of his multiple retirements/un-retirements. He's 71.

Reports this AM are that he now will meet with Payton and Loomis to discuss the interim HCing position. But he was uncertain when approached by some media about the effect that would have on his HOF situation. It will reset the clock and he may balk at that. He does love him some $$$ though. So we shall see. They really only need a figurehead to deal with media in season. Sean is probably afraid if he lets his DC handle the duties and they overcome all the penalties he will be without one by next season. Will be interesting to see if any minority candidate will be interested in sham interviewing for the job.

It's fascinating to see how these organizations all have responded to their own little version of a gate. Benson is either a tool or a bayou snake who was complicit and is allowing his boys to take the fall for the organization and make it right for him to keep their jobs. Kronke is so caught up in acquiring the Dodgers he's letting his own new arrogant HC run the Rams like a family side business (refusing to replace his disgraced buddy Williams).

And we now know that the investigation continues and the Skins may yet feel the pinch on that front too. Not to mention Jerry's chances of hosting another SB are circling the tank even as the grievance paperwork is faxed to Burbank. The real message seems to be check your personal arrogance at the door because this isn't the good old days of your father's NFL any more, they've buried Al, it's now a businessman's collective you're operating within and your partners aren't going to suffer your individual cowboy mentality BS anymore.

I think the real question in Bill Parcells mind right now might be....

Do I delay HOF accolades for a chance to win another SB and further cement my legacy in this sport? or do I pass on the offer and remain on the golf course?

To you and I the logical answer is stay retired and be a proud HOF soon,but it may not be as simple to a man who seems to be,and should be proud of what he has accomplished in the league but still maybe missing it just a tad bit yet.

You can bet that deep down in Parcells psyche,he is having a war going on of what to do.

If Parcells really wants to keep the odds in his favor as far as becoming a living member of the HOF, there won't be Tuna on the training table menu. If it doesn't matter to him, the Saints may very well reel in the Big Tuna for the season.

I think the real question in Bill Parcells mind right now might be....

Do I delay HOF accolades for a chance to win another SB and further cement my legacy in this sport? or do I pass on the offer and remain on the golf course?

To you and I the logical answer is stay retired and be a proud HOF soon,but it may not be as simple to a man who seems to be,and should be proud of what he has accomplished in the league but still maybe missing it just a tad bit yet.

You can bet that deep down in Parcells psyche,he is having a war going on of what to do.

You might be right. Parcells has always come across as thinking he's bigger than the Game, so he might feel the same way about waiting another six years for Canton.

Reports this AM are that he now will meet with Payton and Loomis to discuss the interim HCing position. But he was uncertain when approached by some media about the effect that would have on his HOF situation. It will reset the clock and he may balk at that. He does love him some $$$ though. So we shall see. They really only need a figurehead to deal with media in season. Sean is probably afraid if he lets his DC handle the duties and they overcome all the penalties he will be without one by next season. Will be interesting to see if any minority candidate will be interested in sham interviewing for the job.

Not sure what you're suggesting there (see my bold underline of your remarks above). Vitt and Loomis will both be gone for much/most of the season. So, who really would be "HC of the NOS" and putting in the 18--20 hour days of an NFL HC?

It would change my view completely if a 71 year old Parcells could do the job from his lounge chair, but I don't think Goodell would look very favorably on Payton pulling the strings from his home with a figurehead Coach.

I don't see this happening for three reasons (all, of course, pure speculation from someone who has never met the man, or, in other words, worth about as much as anyone else's opinion here):

1) The Tuna's on the beach. He's watching Spring Training games in Florida. Looks like a guy who's retired to me. He's 71 years old with a history of heart problems and maybe he doesn't miss those 20 hour days.

2) Sure, one more $5--7MM+ year would be nice, but he already has a ton of money. He's got a deal with ESPN that keeps him in the mix and pays his expenses and gives him walking around money. He can get $25 or $50k for a speaking or playing golf at a corporate event if he wants a little extra cash.

3) He'd have to wait five more years to get admitted to Canton. The Selection Committee made him wait one year this time because, IMO, of his multiple retirements/un-retirements. He's 71.

I kind of thought like you, but now I think he might. This is getting really interesting.

Report: Parcells says he'll coach Saints if Payton asks him - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

“If this guy says to me, 'Bill, I need you to do this,' " Parcells told Bob Glauber of Newsday. "That's what friends are supposed to be for."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/parcells-i-might-return-to-do-friend-payton-a-favor-1.3628365

Parcells, 70, said he has turned down two head-coaching opportunities since retiring from the Cowboys after the 2006 season, but he said this situation is different. "The thing with this one,'' he said, "it's a little more personal to me, because this is one of my guys."

This would have a huge impact on the Saints and fans, and maybe give the season back. BP would fix things payton could not.

Last edited:
I kind of thought like you, but now I think he might. This is getting really interesting.

Report: Parcells says he'll coach Saints if Payton asks him - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Parcells: I might return to do friend Payton a favor

This would have a huge impact on the Saints and fans, and maybe give the season back. BP would fix things payton could not.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. As a sounding board and consultant HC and front man to take the pressure off the coordinators, I could see it. But how much do you pay for a guy doing that, and is it worth his elitibility for the HOF?

Borges is at his best in covering this kind of NFL story. His thoughts get to the crux of the problem from both a NO and Parcell's standpoint. He'd be a 71 year old substitute teacher at best, with no control over the curriculum, and you don't credit that guy so much when kids succeed as blame him when the kids fail.

In the meantime though he has regained relevance, so his famous ego will enjoy that while it lasts...

Parcells looks at New Orleans the way most do. It’s a place with a Pro Bowl quarterback, one of the league’s most prolific offenses and a legitimate shot to return to the Super Bowl. That’s true, but New Orleans is also the place Hank Stram and Mike Ditka went to kill their coaching reputations.

Although the circumstances are different, the fact is both were retirees who thought they could relive the past despite not wanting to do the nitty gritty of the job any more. Parcells hasn’t coached a game in six years, and he lost that one. He was 24-25 his last three seasons in Dallas and grew unhappier each passing day.

“People are getting a little ahead of themselves,” Parcells cautioned. “This is far from done. Sean is a friend of mine. We’ve talked about his situation quite a bit. I’ve tried to give him some advice. I haven’t talked to the Saints about it.

“I’ve thought about all sides of it, though. I admit that. I understand there’s a lot to think about.”

For one, the ultimate control freak will have no control over anything, and the students will know it. If he wants to cut someone he legitimately believes is part of the problem, can he do it? If he doesn’t like Steve Spagnuolo’s 4-3 defense, which is diametrically opposite to his preferred 3-4 — favoring smaller defensive linemen rather than behemoths; regularly blitzing corners and safeties rather than getting to the quarterback with linebackers and edge rushers — what can he say? Nothing.

Better to say no - BostonHerald.com

Not sure what you're suggesting there (see my bold underline of your remarks above). Vitt and Loomis will both be gone for much/most of the season. So, who really would be "HC of the NOS" and putting in the 18--20 hour days of an NFL HC?

It would change my view completely if a 71 year old Parcells could do the job from his lounge chair, but I don't think Goodell would look very favorably on Payton pulling the strings from his home with a figurehead Coach.

Parcell's isn't going to be doing 18-20 hour days, nor is he going to have the carte blanche he required to even be up for that the last time he did (Dallas). Once he lost the cache that being in total control entails, the job became a drag on his mental and physical well being. He only stayed for the money and only until something he perceived as better came along...only the enjoyment in that turned out to be pretty short lived, too.

I think Borges nails it. You can't go home. To be 18 again as the song laments is just a pipedream...and the world as you knew it then has changed as you aged.

Oh oh...now Quiet Strength and even Jerry Rice have weighed in on the sham aspect of how NO is dealing with it's punishment...

It's the arrogance again too. Sean couldn't just keep his mouth shut, had to let it be known he had a way around his punishment... Get his money back via TV and get his team coached by his mentor...

Herm Edwards: Saints are making a mockery of the Rooney Rule | ProFootballTalk

I wouldn't be so sure of that. As a sounding board and consultant HC and front man to take the pressure off the coordinators, I could see it. But how much do you pay for a guy doing that, and is it worth his elitibility for the HOF?

Borges is at his best in covering this kind of NFL story. His thoughts get to the crux of the problem from both a NO and Parcell's standpoint. He'd be a 71 year old substitute teacher at best, with no control over the curriculum, and you don't credit that guy so much when kids succeed as blame him when the kids fail.

Your or Borges is painting it as lose lose but you could easily flip the script and say he has nothing to lose and everything to gain. This is a talented team and it isnt crazy to think it could be in the SB and I dont care if it is interim to be able to steer this mess to the SB or close would be a worthy accomlishment and on the flip side if it fails he walks away after year and was it really his fault the blame would go on all those envolved in the scandal.

Eligibilty into the hall is a valid point though as if you figure he wasnt first ballot this time might not be next time (weird to say he would have 2 shots at first ballot) so it could be at least 7 years before he is up oneyear coaching 5 before eligible and one assuming he doesnt go first ballot then either. That is a long time for a 71 year old man to wait.

Given all the huzzahs surrounding this move, it's bound to fail.

Borges is at his best in covering this kind of NFL story. His thoughts get to the crux of the problem from both a NO and Parcells standpoint. He'd be a 71 year old substitute teacher at best, with no control over the curriculum, and you don't credit that guy so much when kids succeed as blame him when the kids fail.

In the meantime though he has regained relevance, so his famous ego will enjoy that while it lasts...

Better to say no - BostonHerald.com

I think both sides have really good points. You can't go home again, is true. The Tuna was a past legend. Im sure he's not as good as he was. At 70 your mental thinking is not as quick, and football is a fast game.

And I agree that probably the best fit for him in the NFL is the Saints. The supporting coaches showed they could run the team in SP absence, so Parcells can just take on a Minimal HC role.
Many clean up some stuff Payton wasn't good at. Maybe tighten some bolts. His fiery attitude seems to be very much intact. So, we could see a notable improvement on defense.

The cowboys and teams mentioned all had internal problems and meddling from the HO, where at NO that has never existed. He will be allowed to do whatever he wants. Plus, him and Benson can have social security conversations, and compare medications sense they are the same age.

HOF point is also a good one, but. Personally, I think be does not care about the HOF.Especially after being turned down. But Ive never seen the Tuna want anything but another Super Bowl. Im not sure he could rebuild a team and coach 5 years at this point of his life. The Saints give him another shot at the playoffs 1 more time, and right off the bat, with a little tweaking. He's not going to find another team like it, and with no interference the HO.

Parcells clearly still has the fire inside to coach, and payton would never try to correct any of his calls, Im sure. I think the only risk here is a friendship if Parcells goes 6-10, and SP yells at him "Hey what the **** did you do to my million dollar sports car !"

As for him failing here as a coach. IF he does go 6-10, that would put him in the top 20% of best Saints coaches of all time,lol.

Last edited:
I think both sides have really good points. You can't go home again, is true. The Tuna was a past legend. Im sure he's not as good as he was. At 70 your mental thinking is not as quick, and football is a fast game.

And I agree that probably the best fit for him in the NFL is the Saints. The supporting coaches showed they could run the team in SP absence, so Parcells can just take on a Minimal HC role.
Many clean up some stuff Payton wasn't good at. Maybe tighten some bolts. His fiery attitude seems to be very much intact. So, we could see a notable improvement on defense.

The cowboys and teams mentioned all had internal problems and meddling from the HO, where at NO that has never existed. He will be allowed to do whatever he wants. Plus, him and Benson can have social security conversations, and compare medications sense they are the same age.

HOF point is also a good one, but. Personally, I think be does not care about the HOF.Especially after being turned down. But Ive never seen the Tuna want anything but another Super Bowl. Im not sure he could rebuild a team and coach 5 years at this point of his life. The Saints give him another shot at the playoffs 1 more time, and right off the bat, with a little tweaking. He's not going to find another team like it, and with no interference the HO.

Parcells clearly still has the fire inside to coach, and payton would never try to correct any of his calls, Im sure. I think the only risk here is a friendship if Parcells goes 6-10, and SP yells at him "Hey what the **** did you do to my million dollar sports car !"

As for him failing here as a coach. IF he does go 6-10, that would put him in the top 20% of best Saints coaches of all time,lol.

He's not going to get to do whatever he wants. That's the rub. He's being asked to babysit Payton's kid while Payton is on sabatical in Siberia... If the kid gets screwed up because grampa was too rigid or too lax...Tuna will be hard pressed to point fingers, as will Sean for being away. He will have little or no say in personnel matters. They are finalizing their draft board even as we speak. They are running a base defense that is outside his comfort zone, and an offense like nothing he's ever run with a QB who basically will be calling the shots. Aside from running interference with the media, about all I could see him doing is pissing some of the talent off.

I think he always wanted another shot at a ring. I think he always expected one. But he had lost the fire to coach before he left Dallas. That's why the situation in Miami initially appealed to him. Full control but none of the responsibility for the daily grind. Hand picked staff. Carte blanche at the grocery store. Then he found out control absent hands on coaching involvement was unsatisfying and hollow. In NO he'd either have no control yet face the daily involvement and responsibility for the product on the field or he'd be a figurehead running interference for and babysitting it. I don't think he'd find either situation satisfying for long let alone at the potential expense of a shot at attending his own HOF induction...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back