PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sean Payton asks Bill Parcells to be the Saints interim Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Parcells asked to be the Saints interim Head Coach

Talk about a no brainer for both sides. Parcells has a team built to win now and is only on the hook for one year. The Saints get somebody who comes in with instant respect.

Makes way too much sense for Payton. Parcells wouldnt want the job for more than a year. If someone else comes in and leads the Saints to an NFC championship appearance, all the sudden Payton might be looking for work.

I thought Parcells was done coaching?

I can see this happening because it's a win/win for both the Saints and Parcells.

If the Saints do well, he can pocket the dollars and give the credit to the team.

If the Saints tank, he can pocket the dollars and lay the blame on the team, situation, etc.

An all around good move if you were to ask me.

This is shaping up to be an extremely entertaining season.

Makes way too much sense for Payton. Parcells wouldnt want the job for more than a year. If someone else comes in and leads the Saints to an NFC championship appearance, all the sudden Payton might be looking for work.

"all the sudden"

the actual phrase is "all of a sudden."

Sorry Dynasty; hate to play cliche cop, but this is a pet peeve of mine. I can't help myself.

Yeah, if there's a match made in heaven, it's Bill Parcells and a sports media armed with a year's worth of Bountygate questions.

I bet he passes.

Interesting. I know Parcells has a big ego and if he did this he would be the cat's meow all season. He'll want serious cash for that service.

NO has to pay Paytons 8 mil salary to be forfeited. They now pony up for BP too? Ouch.

Interesting. I know Parcells has a big ego and if he did this he would be the cat's meow all season. He'll want serious cash for that service.

NO has to pay Paytons 8 mil salary to be forfeited. They now pony up for BP too? Ouch.

NO doesn't have to pay Payton's salary to be forfeited... The team penalty is a team fine and loss of draft picks. Payton's penalty is he's on unpaid suspension for a year.

I think there is already some backlash about this potentially happening because of the way it's being reported. As if Payton is running the show even in his anticipated absence. Not sure Tuna will want to get caught up in that.

Very interesting. I'm sure that the Saints would love this, and Payton would have to love the fact that this is one guy who could come in for a year and never let accountability slide. Parcells is the one who would be most likely to balk at this, if only because he's made it clear that he's done coaching, but if he could ever be persuaded to come back, these are pretty much ideal circumstances. It's a good team with a winning culture in place and an offense that will put up 30+ PPG with or without his input. Best of all, perhaps, it's by definition an extremely short-term obligation, and we all know that Parcells has no fondness for sticking around.

It's an intriguing possibility, for sure. If Parcells doesn't bite on this offer, we can be pretty certain that he'll never come back.

"all the sudden"

the actual phrase is "all of a sudden."

Sorry Dynasty; hate to play cliche cop, but this is a pet peeve of mine. I can't help myself.

You know there are three grammatical errors in your response?

NO doesn't have to pay Payton's salary to be forfeited... The team penalty is a team fine and loss of draft picks. Payton's penalty is he's on unpaid suspension for a year.

I think there is already some backlash about this potentially happening because of the way it's being reported. As if Payton is running the show even in his anticipated absence. Not sure Tuna will want to get caught up in that.

I don't see what the big deal is on the latter point. His suspension doesn't start for a week. Anyone who thinks that he wouldn't have some input on his replacement in the mean time must be kidding themselves.

Parcells loosing his HOF eligibility for another 5 years is a consideration. I'm sure he will like people calling him HOF coach parcells.

Wild offseason continues. Draft isn't even here yet, I love it

Goodell said today that the Rooney Rule would apply to any outside hires.

Given Parcells's limited shelf life on any team, it would appear to be a great situation for him. He has diminishing returns over time, but can definitely kick a team in the pants with his approach when he first shows up.

As he was already a HOF finalist and didn't make it, I wonder how major a consideration that truly is for him. There are no guarantees next year or the year after that, but a successful season on a team that has the personnel but major problems right now may help his cause in reaching the Hall in the long run.

Last edited:
Great idea by Sean Payton. But I think Tuna wants to be living when he's inducted into the HOF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes