PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seahawks tag Hutchinson with transition marker

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Hutchinson transitioned and Backus franchised (both over $6 Million), it seems to me we need to re-sign Neal or Ashworth. I know it will depend on if they get offers from elsewhere, but an offer in the range of their last year $$$ should be considered.

texpat said:
With Hutchinson transitioned and Backus franchised (both over $6 Million), it seems to me we need to re-sign Neal or Ashworth. I know it will depend on if they get offers from elsewhere, but an offer in the range of their last year $$$ should be considered.

Why Ashworth?

LT - Light
RT - Kaczur

Backups: Gorin, Britt

Why Neal?

LG - Mankins
RG - Hochstein
C - Koppen

Backups: Mruczkowski, Yates, Krug, Steitz

Obviously the draft, minor free agency aquisitions and training camp injuries/shape-ups will mold this further.

Of course, re-signing Neal wouldn't be bad. That would give a hell of a lot more depth with Hochstein the C-G swingman reserve, with Mruczkowski waiting in the wings.

Or, a cheaper, Hochstein-esque FA could be picked up. Jonathan Goodwin had to start after Mawae went down, and is a FA, but the Jets might keep him for that very reason.

Or, a mid-round draft pick could provide security and step-in when Hochstein leaves.

Last edited:
Hochstein = high-quality depth.

pats1 said:
Why Ashworth?

LT - Light
RT - Kaczur

Backups: Gorin, Britt

Why Neal?

LG - Mankins
RG - Hochstein
C - Koppen

Backups: Mruczkowski, Yates, Krug, Steitz

Obviously the draft, minor free agency aquisitions and training camp injuries/shape-ups will mold this further.

Of course, re-signing Neal wouldn't be bad. That would give a hell of a lot more depth with Hochstein the C-G swingman reserve, with Mruczkowski waiting in the wings.

Or, a cheaper, Hochstein-esque FA could be picked up. Jonathan Goodwin had to start after Mawae went down, and is a FA, but the Jets might keep him for that very reason.

Or, a mid-round draft pick could provide security and step-in when Hochstein leaves.

Why Ashworth & Neal?

Because they both started together throughout the win streak in '03, Neal is obviuosly better than Hochstein since he started above him all last year, Ashworth has started at both RT & LT and is a better swing tackle backup than Gorin, and it hasn't been proven that Kaczur is the answer at RT (yes he did well at LT this year for a rookie).

I think the line improves whoever is at RT, if Light & Koppen stay in the lineup all year.

Light & Koppen missed significant time to injury, Gorin was inactive for the first half of season, Ashworth missed 2/3 games to injury. I would prefer to have any combo of Hoch/Ash/Gorin as the backups vs Mruc/Yates/Krug/etc. who the only time we've seen them is the pre-season.

Last edited:
What's a "transition marker"? Is it similar to the "transition tag?"

JoeSixPat said:
What's a "transition marker"? Is it similar to the "transition tag?"

Same thing. ;)

texpat said:
Why Ashworth & Neal?

Because they both started together throughout the win streak in '03, Neal is obviuosly better than Hochstein since he started above him all last year, Ashworth has started at both RT & LT and is a better swing tackle backup than Gorin, and it hasn't been proven that Kaczur is the answer at RT (yes he did well at LT this year for a rookie).

I think the line improves whoever is at RT, if Light & Koppen stay in the lineup all year.

Light & Koppen missed significant time to injury, Gorin was inactive for the first half of season, Ashworth missed 2/3 games to injury. I would prefer to have any combo of Hoch/Ash/Gorin as the backups vs Mruc/Yates/Krug/etc. who the only time we've seen them is the pre-season.

Having both Ashworth and Light as backups is a combined $2 mil. cap figure. Light and Kaczur together are a combined $6 mil. cap figure.

$8 million just for the tackle position?

pats1 said:
Having both Ashworth and Light as backups is a combined $2 mil. cap figure. Light and Kaczur together are a combined $6 mil. cap figure.

$8 million just for the tackle position?

I think you mean Ash/Gorin is $2mil, but doesn't matter.

We need 4 tackles, so how much is a quality swing tackle worth? There was rumors when Kaczur was out for 2 games and Ashworth started at LT, that it wasn't so much an injury as it was him not working hard enough and not being ready.

Wouldn't surprise me if Kaczur is not on the team in the fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back