PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seahawks look scary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, browner knows that team really well and hopefully will spill the beans on what their weaknesses are.

I respect Seattle's defense as much as anyone, but saying they would totally lock us down without even a question is laughably premature.
Except for a couple of moving pieces, this is the same defense that annihilated the greatest offense of all time in the Super Bowl and were being talked about in the same breath as the '85 Bears. They can generate pressure with a 4 man rush and are more than capable of slowing down Gronk and Edelman. Yes, they would lock us down. We would have to hope that our defense could do the same because I really can't see this offense putting up more than 17 against them.

Except for a couple of moving pieces, this is the same defense that annihilated the greatest offense of all time in the Super Bowl and were being talked about in the same breath as the '85 Bears. They can generate pressure with a 4 man rush and are more than capable of slowing down Gronk and Edelman. Yes, they would lock us down. We would have to hope that our defense could do the same because I really can't see this offense putting up more than 17 against them.

I think it's likely that a Pats-Seattle game would be low-scoring - no higher than the early 20's, and teens quite possible - and a close game. I think our defense can more than hold it's own.

1 thing is certain! If Brady somehow leads New England to a SB victory over Seattle him and Peyton's name should never be mentioned in the same breath!

FWIW we almost beat seattle in seattle a few years ago. However, that was before russell wilson was russell wilson. Unfortunately that was wilson's coming out party.
That was a pretty post route Russell completed over Wilson .... Remember like it was yesterday

If we make it to the SB and face Seattle, it will be a low scoring game 23-19 or something like that, a lot of FG's. I think we can control their offense. Branch-Siliga-Vince will jam up the run, and we're athletic enough to keep Wilson in the backfield like we did with Aaron Rodgers. He'll have time to throw but we can cover his targets, even though I like both of their WR's.

When we have it, we absolutely will need to run the ball. I would see starting pass heavy then mixing in the run as the game unfolds. Seattle will ignore the play action so we need to make them pay for that by hitting some runs in passing situations. Brady & Lafell will also need to burn them deep at least once, their corners esp Sherman will cheat and they have to pay for that too. I think back to the Denver game when Brady missed Lafell deep twice by inches, and we'll have those chances against Seattle and will have to hit them if we want to win. Lafell has the skills to beat Sherman long and short, I would not be afraid to look that way.

Last note is that I'd like too see them roll Brady out a little in this game so he's not a sitting duck in the pocket.

Really? You can't even SEE it? 20 points and that's completely unreasonable to you? I'll just never understand this whole black and white attitude that some of you people have. The Pats struggled to score against the Jets, thus they have no chance to score more than half of their average against the Seahawks, because of some knee jerk reaction to a string of dominant performances against possibly the worst run of QB's a team has ever faced. Seattle is good, but good lord they are not invincible.

Gimmicky offense? They put up 596 yards on the Cards who have one of the top defenses in the league. Seattle looks better now than they did last year. They've allowed 33 points scored in their last 5 games combined. If they continue to compete at this level, I don't see anyone stopping them.

The number of yards they got is misleading. The Cards punted 9 times and 9 drives of 5 plays or less (10 drives with 6 plays or less). The Seahawks kept on getting the ball back for extra drives because they were facing a team starting a third string QB. The Seahawks had three drives where they had over 74 yards and their longest drive was 80 yards. Their yards came from the number of drives they had.

Granted I am not arguing they have a gimmicky offense, but the yards they got last night is misleading.

What annoyed me the most was Okung and Unger were out for SEA and their offense runs for 267 yards puts up almost 600 yards vs a Top 5 defense.

We lose Dan Connolly and the o-line becomes the self check-out line at Market Basket.

The last time I was in line at a market basket checkout line in Cambridge on a Sunday, I got blocked pretty well. :)

Or was that Somerville. I forgot where the town line is.

God this is worse than a game day thread. We've got gameplans, scores, and "scary" ratings. Is this team scary? Are they scared of the Pats? Are the Pats scared of them?

I'm sure BB and Tom are up nights ****ting their pants at the mere thought that getting to the Super Bowl might mean playing Seattle. Please.

I think the Pats can beat any NFC team but Seattle is the worst fit .... at least for the Pats offense; a defense that is tough to run on, which has corners who can play tight m2m coverage while filtering everything inside and a pass rush which is able to dominate the Pats suspect OL disrupting Brady in the process. I could see a game where the Pats offense struggles to score much.

I think the Pats defense can win their battle but, with a QB like Wilson, I worry that the Pats defense could stiffle everything yet Wilson's feet allow him to make enough big plays that result in a TD or two which the Pats offense can't match.

I'd much rather see the Pats face GB, Detroit or Dallas.

Gimmicky offense? They put up 596 yards on the Cards who have one of the top defenses in the league. Seattle looks better now than they did last year. They've allowed 33 points scored in their last 5 games combined. If they continue to compete at this level, I don't see anyone stopping them.

Let me see if I have this right. You joined this site ín January of 2009 and this is your first post?

That's a long time to spend on a milk carton.

Edit-Technically you don't qualify for the Milk Carton Club because you actually have to have been here to go missing, and since this is your very first WHOA IS THE PATRIOTS post you will have to go missing again to qualify. So wait a few more years to post again and you will be inducted. Triumph can show you the secret handshake in a freezer at a Cumberland Farms of your choosing, he's the club President.

Last edited:
You are completely clueless if you think Seahawks would only need 10 points.
'07 Giants only needed 17.
The '14 Jets almost got away with 16 yesterday.
Seattle scores more than 20 points you lose.

Without Wendell Connolly Stork that O Line is a horror show and will never stand up to a team like Seattle they way they are playing.

Really? You can't even SEE it? 20 points and that's completely unreasonable to you? I'll just never understand this whole black and white attitude that some of you people have. The Pats struggled to score against the Jets, thus they have no chance to score more than half of their average against the Seahawks, because of some knee jerk reaction to a string of dominant performances against possibly the worst run of QB's a team has ever faced. Seattle is good, but good lord they are not invincible.

I'm actually not only taking the Jets game into consideration when saying this. The Jets game is what it is. We had moving pieces along the OL, had trouble running the ball in critical moments, and Smith was finding holes in the zone all day long. The game plan was horrible. I'm speaking from a quantitative standpoint. We've all seen how this offense can be slowed down if you take out one of Gronk or Edelman. We really have nobody else who is an absolute game changer at the position outside of those two. We've all seen what happens to this offense if the opposing defense can apply pressure using 4 rushers. Seattle can do both to us, even at full health. Our biggest hope would be slowing them down on defense as well but, given the fact that Wilson is the most mobile quarterback in the NFL and that Belichick sometimes likes to go full ****** when it comes to defending mobile quarterbacks, coupled with the fact that Wilson is accurate, I would say that Seattle would end up winning this one. Possibly quite comfortably. And so what they've completely shut down bad quarterbacks? A good defense is supposed to do that.

The Seahawks are holding opponents to less than 200 passing yards a game in 2014. That is amazing. I heard they will be the first team since the 1980s Bears to lead the league in PPG/YPG defensively in back to back years.

The Seahawks have a historic defense and an elite QB who plays even better in the postseason. The Seahawks aren't just scary, they look like the next dynasty. It will be up to BB/Brady to stop it.

Well Seattle is scary, just like NE is when their offense is clicking. But the problem NE has is the offensive line and if anyone thinks there are not problems there I suggest to watch the game from yesterday again, lately the NE offensive line isn't looking so great. So first off they have to fix it or they might not make the playoffs.

NE has to do a better job against the run, they are going to get Denver and then hopefully Seattle who are both running the ball very well.

I think Seattle is the toughest matchup for NE, I'm not thrilled about it really because that defensive line and secondary is really frigin great, if you don't see it then your not watching. Folks that think they can't put points up should reconsider.

I think if NE can shore up the o line and give Brady just a little time they can beat them. Lately it just seems there are too many guys around Tom, he needs time to get rid of it. I'm worried about Solder if he has to play against Seattle.

I do think NE can beat Seattle, but it will take their absolute best game of the year, which it should be and much better O Line play.

'07 Giants only needed 17.
The '14 Jets almost got away with 16 yesterday.
Seattle scores more than 20 points you lose.

Without Wendell Connolly Stork that O Line is a horror show and will never stand up to a team like Seattle they way they are playing.

Another reverse jinx like your cant stand it thread?

Really? This thread?

No. Seattle does not look scary. They haved looked like a team that has done what they are suppose to do against Kirk Cousins, Cam Newton, Derek Carr, Eli Manning, Drew Stanton, Mark Sanchez, Colin Kaepernick, and Ryan Lindley.

In fairness, that was the first time they've looked legitimately impressive on offense and it was against a terrific D on the road.

That said, there were a lot of big plays that were an inch away from an incompletion or a sack, and most of Seattle's outburst happened in the 4th quarter, when everyone knew there was no chance the Cardinals could even tie the game, let alone come back and win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes