PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SD's Last 10 Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
? jamal williams is the best NT in the game, agreed? louis castillo and igor olshansky are dominating run stoppers. there's a reason why the chargers had the #1 rushing defense for the past 2 seasons when they were all healthy.. who do they patriots have besides their 1 pro-bowler?

Don't use injuries as an excuse, our D allowed 237 pts you D allowed 303, our D is better.

who do they patriots have besides their 1 pro-bowler?
I guess if you don't know who else the Patriots have on their DL, other than Seymour, you don't know very much :rolleyes:

Agree, SD's strengths are big Jamal Williams in the middle, probably the best NT in the league and their OLBs. Donnie Edwards plays well in the short passing game, but SD's big weakness is the secondary. They count on their OLBs getting to the QB before that weakness is exposed. Wade Phillips is a very good coordinator who has really disguised one defensive problem.

In that respect, NE's passing game hasn't had the downfield production that would suggest it would matchup well, but there should be plenty of opportunities.

In the passing game, SD heavily relies on Gates and Tomlinson. The past few weeks, teams have seemed to take away Gates, so Rivers has struggled. I'm interested to see how BB takes gates and Tomlinson out of the passing game, I think this is the big key to the game.

? jamal williams is the best NT in the game, agreed? louis castillo and igor olshansky are dominating run stoppers. there's a reason why the chargers had the #1 rushing defense for the past 2 seasons when they were all healthy.. who do they patriots have besides their 1 pro-bowler?

Williams = best NT.... agreeed??? NO, I don't agree. I think he's great, but I think Wilfork can be his equal if he's on and having a game.. It's not hands down though.

As for DE, you are absolutly insane if you think Castillo and Olshansky are more much more dominatiing than Ty Warren and Seymour. Remember, not just in run stopping either......... Total defense.

You have a good defense, but you give up WAAAAAAAAAY to many points to be considered great.

Lets put it this way, I'd rather be playing you guys this weekend than Baltimore, they have a REAL defense ;) .

By the way...... Bottoms up to your TE's, huh. Perhaps a little less drinking and a little more film study. But, perhaps that Marty's PROVEN formula for postseason success :cool:

Last edited:
The points have been mentioned many times. The San diego d isn't this amazing d we should quiver in fear in front of. Also, when you play in the AFC East you regularly deal with great defense. I think the patriots can handle it.

ty warren says hi. i realize you know nothing about him because he didn't make the pro bowl (a travesty), but i do believe he got defensive player of the month in december. rather than tell us what you think you know why not listen to us when we tell you what we know? the san diego d line is great. The NE d line is great. how hard is that?

Williams = best NT.... agreeed??? NO, I don't agree. I think he's great, but I think Wilfork can be his equal if he's on and having a game.. It's not hands down though.

As for DE, you are absolutly insane if you think Castillo and Olshansky are more much more dominatiing than Ty Warren and Seymour. Remember, not just in run stopping either......... Total defense.
Wilfork is a very good NT, I would put him and Hampton on the same level with Williams just a notch above.

When it comes to playing the run, neither are better then Olshasnky. All around both are vastly better then Olshansky.

Castillo was battling Warren for 3-4 end dominance until he went down with a high ankle sprain, in 10 games 2 of which he saw limited action he recorded 7 sacks.

Pats allowed 237 pts Chargers allowed 303 Hets allowed 295, Pats had more injuries than Chargers on D this year.

Does this mean your D coaches are horrible given your (claimed) overwhelming talent?

short response: no.

long response:

when you have the #1 scoring offense, your defense will inherently have more opportunities to give up points because the opposing team will have more possessions. on the other extreme, if you are a low scoring team with high time of possession, your defense will have lower points allowed due to less opponent possessions. instead of looking at points allowed you should be looking at the differences between points & allowed points scored to get a better perspective on the overall performance of the team.

remember when everyone was talking about denver having the stingiest defense? their offense was a time of possession machine.. they grind the clock by pounding their notorious chop blocking running game up and down the field. it takes a long time to score like that though, which is why both their PF and PA are low.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/standings

SAN DIEGO = 14-2, 492 PF, 303 PA, differential +189
NEW ENGLAND = 12-4, 385 PF, 237 PA, differential +148
NEW YORK JETS = 10-6, 316 PF, 295 PA, differential +21

CHICAGO = 13-3, 427 PF, 255 PA, differential + 172
DENVER = 9-7, 319 PF, 305 PA, differential + 14

just for kicks:

OAKLAND = 2-14, 168 PF, 332 PA, differential -164

Last edited:
As I posted in a thread last week :

SD at home is +117 in points.
Balt at home is +92 in points.

NE on the road is +112 in points.

Bring it on baby.

Pro Bowlers? Hopefully, your not basing any arguments on players making the pro bowl. Rivers made the Pro bowl, congrats. Now, who would you rather have, Brady or Rivers? Asante Samuels did not make the pro bowl, tho he had ten picks, tied for the league. Who do you have back there? Seymour is never mentioned as one of the top linemen, except when the network is featuring the Patriots, who cares. I'm sure no one picks him on their fantasy team either, who cares. He is dominant and you do not have anyone that is in his league. You have a really good offense, but your defense is at least one rung below the Patriots.

I guess if you don't know who else the Patriots have on their DL, other than Seymour, you don't know very much :rolleyes:

the line was: "who do the patriots have besides their 1 pro-bowler?"

that's an open invitation for you to constructively argue on the behalf of the players whom you view as deserving credence. apparently you lacked the ability to detect the fact that the question wasn't literal.

when someone says "get a hold of yourself," do you grasp your shorts? :confused:

that's an open invitation for you to constructively argue on the behalf of the players whom you view as deserving credence. apparently you lacked the ability to detect the fact that the question wasn't literal.

when someone says "get a hold of yourself," do you grasp your shorts? :confused:

Of all fans San Diego fans should shut the hell up and be humble.

Peyton Manning is a pro bowl god, how many rings does he have? The same as the entire SD organization :bricks:

It's just not worth discussing. Our DL is as good as anyone's. Is Wilfork as good as Williams ? I don't really care. I do know it's a brutal DL and will present a tougher challenge to the Chargers than any they've faced yet.

It's just not worth discussing. Our DL is as good as anyone's. Is Wilfork as good as Williams ? I don't really care. I do know it's a brutal DL and will present a tougher challenge to the Chargers than any they've faced yet.

i would say that the steelers front seven posed a larger threat to the chargers than the patriots'. everyone saw what happened in that game..

Agree, SD's strengths are big Jamal Williams in the middle, probably the best NT in the league and their OLBs. Donnie Edwards plays well in the short passing game, but SD's big weakness is the secondary. They count on their OLBs getting to the QB before that weakness is exposed. Wade Phillips is a very good coordinator who has really disguised one defensive problem.

In that respect, NE's passing game hasn't had the downfield production that would suggest it would matchup well, but there should be plenty of opportunities.

In the passing game, SD heavily relies on Gates and Tomlinson. The past few weeks, teams have seemed to take away Gates, so Rivers has struggled. I'm interested to see how BB takes gates and Tomlinson out of the passing game, I think this is the big key to the game.

I think our secondaries are quite similar. We have one guy who's played phenomenal this year, Quentin Jammer, a solid yet sometimes inconsistent CB on the other side, one solid, vet safety, McCree, and a good run guy who struggles a bit in coverage, Kiel. Sounds alot like Samuel, Hobbs, Harrison and Hawkins to me.

Rivers' struggles have correlated directly with injuries to our WRs. McCardell has been struggling with a calf injury, and Parker's been out. When McCardell, Parker and Jackson have been close to 100%, Rivers has been fine. He was 19/24 against the Cards with 2 TDs with everyone healthy, and the game before when our receivers were healthy we put up 48 on the Broncos.

If your looking for a big weakness on the Chargers, you won't find one. The secondary is probably our weakest unit, but they are far from weak. Our defense is much better than the unit that held Brady and Co. to 17 last year in NE and shut them out in the 2nd half. And your receivers aren't as good as last year's.

It seems the only argument for winning the game that Pat fans have is, "We turn it up in the playoffs." Well, it seems I heard alot of that last year before you went into Denver and lost. And the Chargers are a much better team than the '05 Broncos.

Of all fans San Diego fans should shut the hell up and be humble.

Peyton Manning is a pro bowl god, how many rings does he have? The same as the entire SD organization :bricks:

hmm, apparently you disagree with the prestige of the pro bowl designation when it doesn't back your argument. i would be willing to bet you were the same person who used tom brady's pro-bowl selections as evidence towards his greatness..

the person underserving of a pro-bowl invitation this year is Tony Romo.

short response: no.

long response:

when you have the #1 scoring offense, your defense will inherently have more opportunities to give up points because the opposing team will have more possessions. on the other extreme, if you are a low scoring team with high time of possession, your defense will have lower points allowed due to less opponent possessions. instead of looking at points allowed you should be looking at the differences between points & allowed points scored to get a better perspective on the overall performance of the team.

remember when everyone was talking about denver having the stingiest defense? their offense was a time of possession machine.. they grind the clock by pounding their notorious chop blocking running game up and down the
field. it takes a long time to score like that though, which is why both their PF and PA are low.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/standings

NEW YORK JETS = 10-6, 316 PF, 295 PA, differential +21

CHICAGO = 13-3, 427 PF, 255 PA, differential + 172
DENVER = 9-7, 319 PF, 305 PA, differential + 14

just for kicks:

OAKLAND = 2-14, 168 PF, 332 PA, differential -164

It's also easier to run up stats like sacks since the other team is forced to become 1 dimensional. It also depends on the team philosophy. The Pats will generally kill the clock and play field position when ahead confident in their ability to not blow a lead based on their history.

The Chargers certainly had a better O than the Pats this year. This has been the case in other years (see Colts-Pats in 2003-2004). This hasn't stopped us from winning playoff games in the past.

Remember you probably won't get many To this week, Brady has the lowest Int ratio in the history of the NFL 1.01% (B Starr is second with a 1.42 IIRC).

In addition to the best playoff QB in NFL history (11-1) out coach BB has more SB rings as a coach (5) than your coach has playoff wins.

I expect a great game, the Chargers deserve to be favored, IMO the Chargers will score more pts than anyone else against the Pats this year 27, but a praking O will put up 31 on the Charger D, due to Brady'b mastery of playoff fotball.

NE has a tremendous DL. But Baltimore's front seven is better. We rushed for 150 against Baltimore.

i would say that the steelers front seven posed a larger threat to the chargers than the patriots'. everyone saw what happened in that game..
Well the Steelers averaged 5 PPG allowed more than the Patriots. Why ANYTHING on the Steelers would be considered a larger threat than the Patriots (except their WR I guess) is a mystery to me.

Don't count on Brady having all day to throw against the best front seven in football...

The Pats aren't playing Chicago. They are playing San Diego. Sorry, but San Diego's front 7 are NOT the best in football. Not even close.

Cooper and Leber are average at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back