PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SD is too tough for the Pats???

Status
Not open for further replies.

shatch62

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Per Pro Football Weekly:
“Tom Brady will be facing a different type of heat this weekend — Shawne Merriman and Shaun Phillips and 60-plus sacks worth of Chargers defense.”

“Push history aside this weekend. Let’s keep it simple. More playmakers will be suiting up on Schottenheimer’s side of the field. I’ll take my chances on a hot San Diego team and all those All-Pros.”

I know this Pats team is a different team than the ones of 2001, 2003 and 2004. Bruschi is a shell of what he was, Vrabel is a step slower and the WR position is weaker but people seem to want to completely forget the past.

In 2003 the Pats had 3 Pro Bowlers - Ty Law (db), Willie McGinest (dl), Richard Seymour (dl). Less than the Titans (4) - Keith Bulluck (lb), Brad Hopkins (ol), Derrick Mason (wr), Steve McNair (qb), same as the Colts (3) - Dwight Freeney (dl), Marvin Harrison (wr), Peyton Manning (qb) and 1 more than the Panthers (2) - Stephen Davis (rb), Kris Jenkins (dl).

Nobody knew how that Pats would stop the Colts high powered offense but it did. Nobody thought the Pats o-line would be able to stop the Panthers pass rush. Panthers had 40 sacks in the regular season and had 10 in the 2 playoff games going into the Super Bowl. Against the Pats the Panthers got 0 sacks. 0 sacks!!!

In 2004 the Pats had 5 Pro Bowlers - Tom Brady (qb), Teddy Bruschi (lb), Corey Dillon (rb), Larry Izzo (lb), Richard Seymour (dl). More than the Colts (4), but less than the Steelers (10) - Jerome Bettis (rb), Alan Faneca (ol), James Farrior (lb), Jeff Hartings (ol), Troy Polamalu (db), Joey Porter (lb), Aaron Smith (dl), Marvel Smith (ol), Hines Ward (wr) and less than the Eagles (9) - Brian Dawkins (db), Michael Lewis (db), Donovan McNabb (qb), Terrell Owens (wr), Ike Reese (lb), Lito Sheppard (db), Tra Thomas (ol), Jeremiah Trotter (lb), Brian Westbrook (rb).

Again, nobody thought the Pats would be able to stop the Colts mighty offense and they did. Then they had to GO INTO Pittsburgh and face the unbeatable Steelers. How were the Pats going to match up against their 10 Pro Bowlers? How would they be able to keep Brady upright? Again the Pats won. Then Philly with its star studded roster and again the Pats won.

Is this team as good as those Pats teams? Probably not. Is this SD team as good as the opponents that the Pats beat? I don’t think so. Will the Pats win? I don’t know but I think that they have a better than average chance and that is all we can ask for.

PFW said:
“Tom Brady will be facing a different type of heat this weekend — Shawne Merriman and Shaun Phillips and 60-plus sacks worth of Chargers defense.”
A lot of those sacks were against sh!t. Against good OL, the Chargers got about 2.5 sacks a game. Which is good. Let's say they get 3 against us. Fine. As long as we punt and don't turn the ball over on the sacks we're OK.

PFW said:
“Push history aside this weekend. Let’s keep it simple. More playmakers will be suiting up on Schottenheimer’s side of the field. I’ll take my chances on a hot San Diego team and all those All-Pros.”
Yeah well whatever. We have plenty of All Pro quality players, they just weren't picked. Rivers is in the pro bowl, Brady isn't. Who would you pick to be your QB for this game ?

A lot of those sacks were against sh!t. Against good OL, the Chargers got about 2.5 sacks a game. Which is good. Let's say they get 3 against us. Fine. As long as we punt and don't turn the ball over on the sacks we're OK.

Yeah well whatever. We have plenty of All Pro quality players, they just weren't picked. Rivers is in the pro bowl, Brady isn't. Who would you pick to be your QB for this game ?

My sentiments exactly.

Enough of this ProBowl sh!t. The Pats are about having no holes as opposed to a few elite players that make Probowls. Our matchup problems for other teams come not in the first 10 players but in players 11-45 on any given sunday. BB's interview in praising the Chargers said it right. "They have a ton of great players." At an average weight of 250 lbs, that means that the Chargers have 8 great players, which is about right (9 in the Pro Bowl). We have about 6 tons of good players that play well as a team. The Chargers are as good a team as we've faced this year but i still like our chances.

Enough of this ProBowl sh!t. The Pats are about having no holes as opposed to a few elite players that make Probowls. Our matchup problems for other teams come not in the first 10 players but in players 11-45 on any given sunday. BB's interview in praising the Chargers said it right. "They have a ton of great players." At an average weight of 250 lbs, that means that the Chargers have 8 great players, which is about right (9 in the Pro Bowl). We have about 6 tons of good players that play well as a team. The Chargers are as good a team as we've faced this year but i still like our chances.

Like Brady said, there's only one Bowl the Patriots care about, and it aint the Probowl.

I'll make this simple for you.

9 probowlers >>>>>>>> 1 probowler
5 All-pros >>>>>>>>>>>>>> 0 All-pros

Why are we even discussing NE's chances?

Last edited:

What are we even discussing NE's chances?

finally, someone without their homer glasses on! agreed!!

in the guy's second sentence he told us why we shouldn't take him seriously. if he's going to ignore relevant information shoudln't we ignore him?

Last years SD team came into Foxboro and kicked the ass of a team that was was devastated by injuries. SD missed the playoffs last year by losing some very close games. They should have been a playoff team last year.

I really don't see any difference between last years SD team and this years. Yes, Brees is gone and Rivers is the QB, but there is really no other change worth noting.

However, I see a big difference in this years Patriots team and the team that got beat up by SD last year. The Patriots are better at every position with the exception of reciever.

So, I see two very good teams playing a close game this Sunday. It will probably be decided by who turns the ball over the most.

The answer to the thread question is NO, they are not too tough. But, they are the best team that we have faced this year.

Last years SD team came into Foxboro and kicked the ass of a team that was was devastated by injuries. SD missed the playoffs last year by losing some very close games. They should have been a playoff team last year.

I really don't see any difference between last years SD team and this years. Yes, Brees is gone and Rivers is the QB, but there is really no other change worth noting.

However, I see a big difference in this years Patriots team and the team that got beat up by SD last year. The Patriots are better at every position with the exception of reciever.

So, I see two very good teams playing a close game this Sunday. It will probably be decided by who turns the ball over the most.

The answer to the thread question is NO, they are not too tough. But, they are the best team that we have faced this year.

That, of course, remains to be seen.

The 15-1 Pittsburgh Steelers were tooo tough for the Patriots, too. Pittsburgh, AT HOME, for the AFC Chamionship, lost 41-27.

Yup, they were way too tough for the Patriots.

Yep,and the Ram's were too fast and athletic for us 01

congrats! pro bowlers=super bowl wins right??

BHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

pro bowl is a popularity contest, who cares who makes it

No Difference? How about Marlon McCree at safety instead of B. Jue. Or Antonio Cromartie into the secondary. Or Shaun Phillips starting because of steve foley getting shot and proving he is a premier pass rusher. Or how about how we brought along players like vincent jackson and malcom floyd who have been great playing the same role and seemingly trying to out do each other each week. We are not the same team as last year we're better.

Why did that defense give up 440 yards to Arizona?

Uh, it's not just sacks but hurries which don't get accounted for in stats. You can have zero sacks but still affect a QB.

As someone who has seen every game I can tell you this San Diego team is much better than last years team. There are improvements in play making ability almost across the board. The OL is better. Merriman was good last year but he is really a force this year. Philips is better. Jammer has raised his level of play. LT is playing like a man possessed. This team lost the two games this year by only 3 pts in the last few seconds of those two games. They were 2 plays away from a perfect season. You'd better believe they are better.

Last edited:

Agreed. We're doomed.

After looking at the teams on paper there is no point in playing the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes