PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scouts Inc. casts critical eye on Pats' draft strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.
This years draft ('10) alone may make up for the couple of poor ones earlier such as '06

Last edited:
This years draft alone may make up for the coupel of poor ones earlier such as '06

I guess we now know we the guys at "Scouts Inc." work there as opposed to in the Patriots Scouting Dept. :singing:

Re: Scouts Inc. casts critical eye on Pats

I think you guys are being a little harsh on Williamson

After all Williamson is the winningest Head Coach in the history of the NFL with 7 Super Bowl titles,he knows what he is talking about

Respect Da Man

Well said. Winning is the bottom line. I think this year will be interesting. I have a feeling that BB might go all in and not stock pile draft picks, as I don't seem him coaching past another 4 or 5 years.

Well said. Winning is the bottom line. I think this year will be interesting. I have a feeling that BB might go all in and not stock pile draft picks, as I don't seem him coaching past another 4 or 5 years.

I have difficulty imagining BB changing his coaching philosophy just because he expects to retire. This draft also doesn't project to have nearly as much talent as last years.

The problem that far too many fans fall into is focusing on one miss or one hit in an attempt to prove that some team or GM is very good or very bad at drafting or scouting. For example how often do you read or hear someone say 'they drafted Player X when Player Y was still available', as if that is some sort of proof that everything that GM or team does is either good or bad. It's like saying that because Detroit beat Green Bay last week that proves the Lions are a better team than the Packers this year.

If you're not going to take all the personnel decisions into account it's not possible to make an evaluation. And you can't really say they were good or bad overall unless you do the same things for the 31 other teams because without that you have no basis of comparison. If you only did deep to compare two teams you could be comparing the best and second best, you could be comparing the worst and second worst, who knows?

As for the original article and 'difference makers' that is a common theme in recent years in an attempt by some to diminish what Belichick has accomplished. You ever hear someone ask how is it that the Patriots continue to be successful, when most every other NFL franchise has down years? They don't understand the Kraft-Belichick model and business philosophy. It's really no different than the plan on how to be successful in the NFL given the constraints of the salary cap. While many fans and this writer are still focused on the top two or three players on a team, Belichick and the Pats are focused on the entire roster.

As long as someone remains focused on stars and name players, they're never going to understand the success of a team like the Patriots.

I have difficulty imagining BB changing his coaching philosophy just because he expects to retire. This draft also doesn't project to have nearly as much talent as last years.

+1.

If BB were on the hot seat, I could see it. But BB's seat is colder than it was in Chicago Sunday, so I don't think he'd hamstring his successor that way.

This season has just reinforced the axiom that it isn't about acquiring talent...it is about acquiring the RIGHT talent:

- McCourty has similar physical skills to other corners in the draft, but his mental makeup, dedication and intensity make him a perfect Patriot
- Gronkowski is a TE that contributes equally well receiving, run blocking and pass protecting. Given the Pats desire to create favorable matchups without changing personnel, he was an amazing value for the Pats.
- Cunningham doesn't get big numbers but he goes all out on every play and doesn't make many mistakes. Not a flashy pick but fits very well with the Pats players around him. Does his job and allows others to do theirs.
- Spikes is limited in what he can do but he complements the skill sets of Mayo and Guyton. Smart (medication not withstanding) and instinctual, he is the type of player Belichick wants on the field.
- Hernandez is another example of creating favorable matchups. His ability to line up everywhere allows Brady to identify holes in the defense and change plays simply by shifting players around.
- Mesko has been reliable and solid, sometimes in less than ideal conditions. Stepped into the holder responsibilities like a champ and really came through when asked to change field position in the Ravens game.
- Deaderick is the biggest surprise. Not because he isn't talented, but because a screw up at his position usually results in a gaping hole and huge gain. More than held his own showing proper technique and focus and has allowed injured players like Wright and Pryor to get fully healthy before coming back (which will be huge in the playoffs).

When you looked at this crew in April, it did look solid but uninspired. Good depth guys but nobody that changes a game. For a team that was "rebuilding" and with a "closing championship window", it seems inadequate.

Looking at them now, you can not only see the logic behind the picks but also the reason why the Pats team-building philosophy continues to work. Smart, flexible players that create a winning environment on the field...predictable and reliable for Brady on offense...chaotic and confusing for the opposing QB on defense.

One-trick ponies and workout warriors need not apply.

Bill has the courage of his convictions (value) and discipline that fans apparently just cannot fathom. I don't see him not coaching for at least another decade. He loves to teach as well as win and is enjoying the hell out of this season. No reason for him to leave any time soon, and part of his legacy (and legacy matters to this man) was always intended to be to build something that will endure even after he (and Tom) are gone. Because the Krafts will still be here and that is what they bought into and their support of him and this system has earned them the right to expect nothing less.

+1.

If BB were on the hot seat, I could see it. But BB's seat is colder than it was in Chicago Sunday, so I don't think he'd hamstring his successor that way.

Since when is actually using all your draft picks to draft players considering "hamstring a succcessor." Its not like someone is suggestion BB might trade away our 2012 & 2013 first round draft picks to move up in 2011. Just that we might not leave the 2011 draft pick with three extra 2nd round picks for 2012.

What exactly is a "impact player"? If impact players win championships, what impact players did the last few Superbowl champs draft in the last few years?

Saints: Bush, Colston, Evans. Harper starts but I'd say he's more of the James Sanders type of solid player. They were all from 2006. 2007, i'd say maybe one in Bushrod, the starting LT. Ellis, Porter, Nicks in 08. 09, none.

Steelers. 2006, Holmes. 2007, Woodley, Timmons. 2008, Mendenhall.

All of these are good teams, mainly because of good coaches and QBs. You can get players through free agency too, overall I think all these teams when you compare are pretty close when it comes to drafting.

The whole theory is flawed that you have to select first rounders who are difference makers. The New England Patriots have proven that quality starters can be found from the second round through to the seventh round who had an impact during the Super Bowl years (2001 thru 2004):

Tom Brady - 6th Round

Matt Light - 2nd Round

Deion Branch - 2nd Round
David Givens - 7th Round

Eugene Wilson - 2nd Round
Asante Samuel - 4th Round
Dan Koppen - 5th Round

this past draft has set the patriots up for great success, it was probably one of the best drafts this team has ever had. if the patriots can have another draft like this one next year we might start hearing the D word being tossed around again.

Meriweather, Welker, Moss, prelude to 07.
I'll grant you BM, Welker was a trade, and so wasn't Moss. And BTW while i really liked Randy how did he ultimately work out? At the time, 07 i wanted David Harris and Lamar Woodley, we could have had both that year.

i think that's exactly what he's saying. start drafting the dez bryants. or package a couple of the 123987462134908798 picks you have and move up to take an impact player. with all the picks the pats had, they could have moved up to take eric berry if they really wanted to...

Patrick Chung isn't an impact Player? Devin McCourty Isn't? Sebastian Vollmer?

I like how the ESPN experts give you a choice. you can read their usual stupid stuff (Reiss and Bruschi exceptd, of course)...

or, for a modest fee, you can get extra stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back