PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scouts Inc. casts critical eye on Pats' draft strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.
wait....I think I just got it.

some people on here are upset that we don't just pick the talented player instead of trading it down, like when we took maroney.
or we should be aggressively moving UP in the draft instead of DOWN, like when we moved up to nab playmaker chad jackson.
hahahahahahahahahahaha.......!!!!!!

by the way, when green bay fleeced us by trading down to take jennings, the price we paid was a 3rd rounder (#75) which green bay used to draft their starting center.
jerious norwood also went at #79.

wait....I think I just got it.

some people on here are upset that we don't just pick the talented player instead of trading it down, like when we took maroney.
or we should be aggressively moving UP in the draft instead of DOWN, like when we moved up to nab playmaker chad jackson.
hahahahahahahahahahaha.......!!!!!!

by the way, when green bay fleeced us by trading down to take jennings, the price we paid was a 3rd rounder (#75) which green bay used to draft their starting center.
jerious norwood also went at #79.

I think you're missing the point of the article.

Besides Merriweather and Mayo, what impact player have we drafted using our "trade down" strategy of recent drafts? We've accumulated some role players, but as mentioned in the article, impact players are what wins championships.

Every time a team trades down, and then trades down some more, the talking heads keep saying how skillful they are. Fact is, BB probably trades down more than any other "GM", and when you trade down, you are picking from a lesser talent pool of players.

True but misleading. Think of executing a draft pick as a bid. When the Pats are on the clock, they have a list of players they are considering. If they can get equal talent from that list at a lower bid, it makes sense to trade down.

Somebody said, what impact player did they not get in trading down from 22 to 27? Well, Dez Bryant for one. They traded down later, and in the spot they gave up went RB Ben Tate, who many here loved.

I don't imagine Bryant was on their 1st round list for consideration. As for Tate, he may have been part of a group that included Spikes, Price and others. Or Tate may not have been under consideration at all. I dispute the perspective (not saying that it is yours) that says the Pats trade down and end up saying "Damn, we really wanted that guy!" before they pick next. They may get scooped since there is always a risk trading down, but I get the impression that they generally get a desired target when they trade down...plus the additional capital gained with the trade.

I'm expecting this draft will turn out very succesfully. However, if (for example) Bryant and Tate turn into pro bowl players, will that mean maybe this guy has a point? I think this guy already has a point.

You are confusing the approach with the execution. If Bryant isn't under consideration for the Pats in the 1st round, they weren't taking him at #22 even if they stay there. So go ahead and complain about how the Pats value players. Trading down to get equal value is ALWAYS a good idea.

I will say that BB seemed to trade down more skillfully this year than in the recent past. However, when you trade a draft pick for a later draft pick, then what's left in talent is what you get to choose from. When the Patriots trade a 3rd round pick for a pick next year, it means they did not draft a player for the team this year, and there was plenty of talent that excited us left on the board at that point.

Future picks have value as well. Belichick assessed the value of the players under consideration in the 3rd round (in the context of the remaining picks they still had and the roster spots they were looking to fill this year) versus the value of the predicted draft slot of Carolina in the 2nd round next year (in the context of the 2011 picks they already have and the roster spots they expect to want to fill next year with the talent they expect will be available). Lots of words, but you can't make an intelligent decision without all that information being taking into account.

Buying something now always looks better than investing for the future. Doesn't mean it is always the smart move. The Pats intention in trading down is to be able to achieve the same draft objectives and get additional assets as well. They don't trade down without a plan. And that plan isn't "two lesser players is better than one talented one". It is more like "Why take a guy higher than you need to?"

The last few years The Pats have traded down more than any team, and the drafts have rated out amongst the poorest. I suspect this years haul will be different, but it's hard to bash this guys point overall, if we take off our Patriots colored glasses.

Throw out 2007 since that situation has been discussed a million times. That leaves 2006 and 2008. 2006 is a poor example for this discussion since that was the year of the CJack trade up and there weren't any trade downs that I can recall. 2008 isn't much better since the Mayo trade down was minor and the only other movement I can remember is the Slater trade up.

So I can't see your correlation between draft performance and the trade-for-value philosophy. The draft performance you are referencing involves the Pats drafting at their initial position or trading up. Their targets were just not very good in too many cases.

Besides Merriweather and Mayo, what impact player have we drafted using our "trade down" strategy of recent drafts? We've accumulated some role players, but as mentioned in the article, impact players are what wins championships.

You're missing the reality of the situation. The Pats trade down for 2 reasons:

1) Nobody is available that is worth that draft slot (the 2007 situation)
2) They can get THE SAME PLAYER(S) at a lower draft position

They don't trade down when there is a player on the board that they value at the current position but will be gone by the next time they pick. If there is a lack of impact players drafted, that has to do with the value system...not the draft methodology.

there isn't a point to miss --- that article is pointless.

draft all pro bowlers.
duly noted --- I'll e-mail this to belichick.

You're missing the reality of the situation. The Pats trade down for 2 reasons:

1) Nobody is available that is worth that draft slot (the 2007 situation)
2) They can get THE SAME PLAYER(S) at a lower draft position

They don't trade down when there is a player on the board that they value at the current position but will be gone by the next time they pick. If there is a lack of impact players drafted, that has to do with the value system...not the draft methodology.

That's a valid point. Then I guess the question isn't the Pats draft methodology, but their evaluation of players of recent drafts.

I think BB will use the 4 top picks next year.

Last edited:
Re: Scouts Inc. casts critical eye on Pats

i think that's exactly what he's saying. start drafting the dez bryants. or package a couple of the 123987462134908798 picks you have and move up to take an impact player. with all the picks the pats had, they could have moved up to take eric berry if they really wanted to...

Right, because one guy -- a safety -- is what this team really needed on draft day......?

That's a valid point. Then I guess the question isn't the Pats draft methodology, but their evaluation of players of recent drafts.

This is exactly what it is. With the exception of the last 2 drafts The Pats player evaluation has been well below par. I dont think its the methodology, just simply the Pats struggle with evaluating talent

Last edited:

Quite a few, if you add flipping picks from one draft into hte next and moving up.

There's also the acquisition of additional draft picks, which have been used to move up (generally unsuccessfully in the Patriots' case) and to take additional players. One prime example is the giving of a 1st to the Ravens to move down into the second (Eugene Wilson) and get a 1st the next year 9Vince Freaking Wilfork).

The strategy of sliding back is sound. As Belichick said, the piont isn't to lose value on the pick, but rather to acquire extra assets at, essentially, no cost if you are still going to draft a player with the same grade on your board. You're not intentionally moving away from impact players to pick JAGs.

Yes. It's the evaluation that has failed them. They've HAD plenty of decent picks to make, but they have scrweed them up (Maroney instead of Addai, etc. ad infinitum)

I think BB will use the 4 top picks next year.

You are problably wrong. He has 2 1sts and 2 2nds. History suggest that he will most likely slide back wth at least one, possibly two, and add more picks, and almost certainly try to flip one from the 2011 draft into 2012.

When's the last time he entered a draft with only one pick in each of the first three rounds?

Well, if you're applying a player like Light to the group — one the Pats traded down from 39 to 48 to get, but who obviously was the primary guy on the radar, as the Pats needed an LT so bad and leapfrogged from the intermediate 50 pick to 48 to grab him — then why would you be frustrated with the Pats stockpiling of round 2 players the last few years?

I never said that I was. It can be a great strategy, especially in deep drafts, if it's not used to excess. I was just defending the article, because I think a lot of posters misunderstand what Belichick is talking about when he's talking about "value", which is a different application of similar strategy. Most teams will move a few picks up or down while targeting a specific player. What makes Belichick's moves interesting, is that he's doing this with an entire group of players and not necessarily caring which player he ends up with. That makes it easier for him to drop farther, or more often, but it also means that he's not putting the team in position to get players that stand out in his mind.

As the analysis in the ESPN article below summarizes, bad teams draft badly. That more than anything brings down the averages, and/or adds the blind luck factor to stats. A bad team that drafts badly, or a mediocre team that drafts bleh, they are the ones who would find it most advantageous — based only on the qualities examined by these studies, finding really good players — to pick high up, because they just aren't going to find value lower down since they don't have the scouting, coaching and personnel systems to define moneyball-esque qualities or positions other teams are undervaluing.

Absolutely, and a team like the Bengals has been evidence of this for something in the neighborhood of twenty years. Bad luck, like Ki-Jana Carter's knees going out on him right away, can also have a devastating impact when it comes to high draft picks.

The Pats, however, are a great team under Belichick. It is well within their ability to find value lower down the board because they (a) know how to look for value, e.g. 3-cone time vs. 40 yard dash (b) have a stable system they can more easily value prospects in and (c) know how to group both players by value and teams by need and by and large correctly find the spot just before the value is going to get run on.

Well, New England is like the Colts, in that both teams are really looking at players, especially defensive players, that are in different molds from what most teams in the league are trying to find. I think this is actually becoming a huge advantage for the Colts, now, as more teams are going to the 3-4 and bleeding the talent pool for the Patriots.

When you have that kind of expertise, trading down maximizes your chances of finding more "good" in a draft then sticking with the herd, and I think the last two years, when the Pats have dropped out of contention relatively early and have had time to scout and order the draft board, they've gone with this strategy because it gives them the most potential return for the effort.

This is true, but there is a cost that comes along with this, and it's the lowering of the odds that you'll be able to get a truly special player. You can often increase your odds of finding a solid/good starter by increasing your number of opportunities, but it will decrease your odds of finding the next Richard Seymour. IMO, what set this team up so well in the early part of the decade was that the picks were monster talents like Seymour and Wilfork, and the free agents were able to fill the role of the solid/good (and sometimes even great) players. Unfortunately, the expanding cap and superior manipulation of it by opposing teams have combined to really cut down the free agent spigot for the Patriots, forcing the draft to serve both roles much more than it needed to in the past.

Thanks for the link. I did a statistics breakdown similar to that on this board, concentrating solely on QBs.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...g-qb-1st-round-bad-idea-page2.html#post690595

Kluck had a 53% bust rate on 1st round QBs, I had 40% Quality, so apparently we were reading roughly the same thing. While I came down in that thread against the "draft 3 low-round QBs every year, see who's good" method of development, that's because the OP was making a general point about the league as a whole, which is also what the links you provided are doing.

For the Pats, it makes more sense to give their scouting department as many choices as possible to flex their muscles in the draft; thus, trading down and picking lower-round players that — especially at QB — the Pats have demonstrated they can find and develop.

You are more than welcome for the link. It's always great discussing football with you.

Couple of comments.....

People defending the Pats trade down based on this year's draft alone need to widen their view a bit. The article was talking about the past few drafts....and imo...he had a point.

Understand this also.....the Pats are who they are with a big thank you to Mr. Tom Brady also and if you all remember.....even he questioned the lack of talent at WR the year before the unbeaten regular season and "forced" management to step up to the plate.

All the Patriot talent be damned....just as the Colts wouldn't be as good as they have been without Manning, the Pats would be nowhere near as good without Brady...the only reason I state this obvious point is that there are teams in the league with better overall talent than the Pats....but they don't have Tom Brady.....so I'm sorry.....I can't drink the koolaid over our previous drafting results for the most part.

With the draft bounty coming up next year.....I really hope they use them, for a change.

Well, gee, I guess we should just write off that 11-5 season Matt Cassel gave us after Mr. Tom Brady went down in the first quarter of the first game in '08...

That's not to mention all the trade-down analyses that followed your post.

Truth be told, Ben, what we should all be thankful for is one Mr. Bill Belichik running this show. The thing that distinguishes him is, he actually knows what he's doing, and that shows by the results.

The Pats don't trade down every year, and if the '11 draft looks promising to fill desired roster spots, they'll probably use the first 4 picks they have....unless a deal presents itself that they just can't say "no" to, in which case....

I should remind you that you are defending the assertions made in the article. The article makes no mention of Belichick's "value" strategy he descirbed on Monday and therefore makes no such distinction. So it isn't I that is comparing those to types of trades down, it is the article. Furthermore, the article isn't only attacking trades downard. It specifically states:

He is specifically addressing all the "wheeling and dealing" which includes trading up and trading into next year. That of course makes the trades of picks into future years for players like Wilfork and Mayo entirely relevant. In fact trying to single out the "trade down" strategy from the overall philosophy is almost nonsensical. It's the trading down that gives him the multitude of picks that allows him to trade some into future years. For instance, the Patriots traded a first round pick in 2003 (19th overall) to Baltimore for a 2003 second round pick (41st overall) and their 2004 first round pick (21st overall). That pick of course turned out to be Vince Wilfork. I won't even get into the fact that the Warren pick resulted from the trading of Drew Bledsoe and could even fall under the category of "wheeling and dealing".

So yes, I continue to question the premise of the article that BB's tendency to trade down is the problem.

And you're welcome to do so. I continue to maintain that the article offers a legitimate argument. And there we stand.

I think what he says has some credence and that has been talked about on this board for a while. The continuous trading down does take away the ability to draft some big names....not all of which are good....that is agreed.

Trading down to take the exact same or essentially equivalent player (based on the Patriots board) a few slots later (which is what has actually happened most of the time the Patriots have traded down based on what little we've heard) is a win in multiple ways.

What you're talking about is a straw man argument because they Patriots don't trade down to avoid taking a really good player that was currently available. Actually, it's because they've traded down (getting more picks later) that helps enable them to also make deals that turn 3rd rounders into 2nd rounders and 2nd rounders into 1st rounders - getting top end talent that is so important to the team.

Precisely. The Detroit Lions say, "hello" with all of their superior draft picks thru the years.

the lions are starting to look good lately, have you checked some of the young talent they have?

Yes. It's the evaluation that has failed them. They've HAD plenty of decent picks to make, but they have scrweed them up (Maroney instead of Addai, etc. ad infinitum)
I LOVE how the microscope is on the Patriots screwing up...as if THEY are teh only team that does....OR that there is ANY REAL HANDLE on the draft at all....SInce the era of heavy draft analysis the late Buschbaum..Kiper...it's been some 25 years I believe...a LOT of data..analysis...and STILL it's a real hit or miss situation..TOO MANY intangibles here..IF there was someone who HAD all this down to anything close to a science they'd be working for an NFL team...Easy to look back and be critical..HARDER to really get into the mind heart of any of these young players and see what WILL happen..if drafted. I think BB does a solid job employing many strategies..many things..and of course there are misses. EVERY club has them. And it's quite different drafting in the LOWER parts of the first round than the top ten every year like the perennial losing franchises, who have higher picks and do NOT improve.

I LOVE how the microscope is on the Patriots screwing up...as if THEY are teh only team that does....OR that there is ANY REAL HANDLE on the draft at all....SInce the era of heavy draft analysis the late Buschbaum..Kiper...it's been some 25 years I believe...a LOT of data..analysis...and STILL it's a real hit or miss situation..TOO MANY intangibles here..IF there was someone who HAD all this down to anything close to a science they'd be working for an NFL team...Easy to look back and be critical..HARDER to really get into the mind heart of any of these young players and see what WILL happen..if drafted. I think BB does a solid job employing many strategies..many things..and of course there are misses. EVERY club has them. And it's quite different drafting in the LOWER parts of the first round than the top ten every year like the perennial losing franchises, who have higher picks and do NOT improve.

This is a Patriots board, and the main forum kicks threads about other teams to less traveled forums (observation, not complaint!). Under those circumstances, I don't know why you'd expect anything else.

Last edited:
1.) Mayo was a trade down that was specifically targeted to one player still taken in the top 10, and certainly doesn't fall into what Belichick's "value" strategy as he was describing it on Monday, although the basic concept is the same. Are you seriously trying to compare that to trading down to get any one of a group of players once you're outside the top 10? Come on, now.

Yes, but the whole reason why they had the #7 pick to trade down was because they traded out of the previous draft to get the 49ers' 2008 first rounder. So even if you are inclined to ignore the 7-to-10 trade down, you still have to account for the initial one that got them the high pick in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes