PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scouts Inc. casts critical eye on Pats' draft strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Scouts Inc. casts critical eye on Pats

Mr. Williamson needs to start posting, when the Patriots are on the clock, just who these "true difference-makers" are who we should be drafting. Picking at #22-#32 every year makes that difficult. We've had our share of misses, no doubt, but picking where we do it's an unreasonable suggestion that we should get more difference makers unless we start drafting the Dez Bryants.

I guess we should have a few 4-12 years so we can get top 5 picks?
Or figure out how to pick top 5 guys picking from 22-32 every year????
I dont get how trading from 22 to 27 robs you of getting 'impact' guys.
Plus didnt we get Moss and Welker with draft pick trades?

He calls Belichick the best head coach and talent evaluator in the NFL, yet questions his draft strategies.

Last edited:

ill take the really good role players of bruchi, ted, law, mcginest, branch, givens, brady of the 2004 teams

than the superior talents of any number of players

I think you guys are being a little harsh on Williamson

After all Williamson is the winningest Head Coach in the history of the NFL with 7 Super Bowl titles,he knows what he is talking about

Respect Da Man

More "insight" from someone who has never in his life had to make a real decision affecting the well being of a real organization in real time.

"Those who can, Draft. Those who can't, Blog."

Last edited:

I think what he says has some credence and that has been talked about on this board for a while. The continuous trading down does take away the ability to draft some big names....not all of which are good....that is agreed.

But stay away from the koolaid....a lot of us would like to see the Pats take an impact player or trade up for one sometime with all their draft choices instead of the continuous trading down.

It doesn't really matter about the SB titles, etc......his point is we haven't done that well in the draft lately with our trade down philosophy....I for one think he is correct (except for this year)

Mr. Williamson needs to start posting, when the Patriots are on the clock, just who these "true difference-makers" are who we should be drafting. Picking at #22-#32 every year makes that difficult. We've had our share of misses, no doubt, but picking where we do it's an unreasonable suggestion that we should get more difference makers unless we start drafting the Dez Bryants.

i think that's exactly what he's saying. start drafting the dez bryants. or package a couple of the 123987462134908798 picks you have and move up to take an impact player. with all the picks the pats had, they could have moved up to take eric berry if they really wanted to...

Them that can do, do. Them that can't do write or teach.

I don't know. I feel like the strategy of trading and stockpiling picks when you're winning Super Bowls and going unbeaten and the draft is week, then having a bunch of picks when the draft is strong and you're re-stocking, is pretty good.

Anyone who doesn't grade the draft as an A+++ is a complete moron.

More "insight" from someone who has never in his life had to make a real decision affecting the well being of a real organization in real time.

"Those who can, Draft. Those who can't, Blog."

And those who post on message boards ... ?

And those who post on message boards ... ?

Those who do, do. Those who can't, write. Those who can't write, post on message boards.

I don't know. I feel like the strategy of trading and stockpiling picks when you're winning Super Bowls and going unbeaten and the draft is week, then having a bunch of picks when the draft is strong and you're re-stocking, is pretty good.

That pretty much sums it up right there.

Fine it is one thing if you want to question the players that he choses

but how anyone can criticize dropping down a combined 18 spots and picking up extra 4s and 3s and parlaying one of the 3s into a 2 next year.

You want to talk about the success of this draft and the general philisophy than ponder this. The patriots entered the day with 4 day one and day two picks (first 3 rounds) and left with 5 day one and two players and an extra 2 next year and 4 of the 5 players came in the first two rounds.

ESPN affiliated organization critical of Pats. Shockah!! Every draft expert in the world makes mistakes. BB did with T.Wheatley and to a lesser extent Wilhite. Needs a cb because those two can't cut it against elite qb's like Manning and Brees. You need 3 cb's when playing those teams not two. 3RD CB plays 90% of snaps against some teams. That's a starter. I'll bet McCourty sees the field on defense quite a bit. Might even beat our Butler at cb opposite BOdden leaving D.Butler our nickel corner.

You want to talk about the success of this draft and the general philisophy than ponder this. The patriots entered the day with 4 day one and day two picks (first 3 rounds) and left with 5 day one and two players and an extra 2 next year and 4 of the 5 players came in the first two rounds.

Pretty remarkable when you look at it this way.

Only 4 teams had 5 picks in the first 100 taken; Pats, Browns, Chiefs and Broncos. Anyone see a pattern there?

ill take the really good role players of bruchi, ted, law, mcginest, branch, givens, brady of the 2004 teams

Precisely. The Detroit Lions say, "hello" with all of their superior draft picks thru the years.

remember these guys when pats won those SB's said that pats dont have any superstars or HOF players but just play together and 'dont make mistakes' . i always had a problem with that moniker and now they turn around and say we dont hve those playmakers.

Pretty remarkable when you look at it this way.

Only 4 teams had 5 picks in the first 100 taken; Pats, Browns, Chiefs and Broncos. Anyone see a pattern there?

nice find on this about the BB/Tree.......Don't think anyone saw this,before you:rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes