PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scouting the Next Logan Mankins

Status
Not open for further replies.

flutie2phelan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
You know, of course, that at least five of our stalwarts are country boys from the parts of California
nobody knows about. Logan admits to having rodeoed.

After nearly a month of visiting far-flung rural corners of the gorgeous Golden State,
i've just returned from an evening at the week-long state finals of the California High Schools Rodeo Association, in Bishop.
Top three in each event advance to nationals, in Wyoming.

Lassoing, felling, and then tying up calves seems analogous to playing either side of the line.
Bareback bronc busting ... and bulldogging (galloping after a steer, jumping off your galloping horse,
and wrestling the beast to the ground) ... are also indicators of being able to play football.

The (interim) total points leader up to tonight was a burly young man
who, from the bleachers,
has the size and build of Mankins. (But i wasn't paying attention to his name.)

One of the competitors, Justin McCloud, was the only freshman on his varsity football team.

Another was the MVP of his football team, Shasta Lake High.

Redoubtable Eric Gilman was wrestling his steer on even terms ... until he caught a horn in his ear.
EMTs, silent grandstand, stretcher board, ambulance of course. Hope it's not as bad as that sounds.
But Eric was wearing a cowboy hat ... and even Rodney, Eugene, or Asante testing your helmet
is quite as unpleasant as a steer's horn up alongside the head.

Watch for one of these fellows on draft weekend about 2010.
I'll bet i wasn't the only Patriots scout in the stands.

hey good fella, now yer talkin'

flutie2phelan said:
You know, of course, that at least five of our stalwarts are country boys from the parts of California
nobody knows about. Logan admits to having rodeoed.

After nearly a month of visiting far-flung rural corners of the gorgeous Golden State. Lassooing, felling, and then tying up calves seems analogous to playing either side of the line.
Bareback bronc busting ... and bulldogging (galloping after a steer, jumping off your galloping horse, and wrestling the beast to the ground) ... are also indicators of being able to play football.

i've just returned from an evening at the week-long state finals of the California High Schools Rodeo Association, in Bishop. Top three advance to nationals, in Wyoming.
[COLOR=blue[/COLOR]
Lassooing, felling, and then tying up calves seems analogous to playing either side of the line.
Bareback bronc busting ... and bulldogging (galloping after a steer, jumping off your galloping horse,
and wrestling the beast to the ground) ... are also indicators of being able to play football.
lue]One of the competitors, Justin McCloud, was the only freshman on his varsity football team.[/COLOR]
Another was the MVP of his football team, Shasta Lake High.
COLOR=blue]Redoubtable Eric Gilman was wrestling his steer on even terms ... until he caught a horn in his ear. [/COLOR]
EMTs, silent grandstand, stretcher board, ambulance of course. Hope it's not as bad as that sounds.
But Eric was wearing a cowboy hat ... and even Rodney, Eugene, or Asante testing your helmet
is quite as unpleasant as a steer's horn up alongside the head.
Watch for one of these fellows on draft weekend about 2010.
I'll bet i wasn't the only Patriots scout in the stands.
thanks for that great, great post, flutie. i'm a city boy from houston, but ya don't escape from texas wiithout some knowledge. i'd say bulldogging is also a strong indicator of somebody who's willing to throw their body around.
i would think nfl teams have been sending folks to rodeos ever since clayton weisuhn. but ya never know. do it 5 years, gte nothing, put it on the backshelf.

Keep us informed.
Headline your posts "Report from Brokeback Mountain"

I had the TV on just this afternoon and 'Inside Edition' had some story on some kind of 'Gay Rodeo' where the gay guys chase down goats and stuff.

Err....hope that helped!

Your analogy sounds great until one recalls Logan's specialty-Doubles calf roping. Much more of a finesse-type skill rather than the macho thing one might envision.

The next Logan?

Check out Doug Datish at Ohio State -- guard probably moving to center this year. Blue collar, mean streak -- traded offsetting personal fouls in the ND game, and drew a personal foul on another player, you can see him 30-40 yards downfield on the long gainers.

As fate would have it, immediately across the road from the fairgrounds in Bishop
is the start of US Highway 6.
There is a big green, official highway sign reading,
"Provincetown, MA
3205 miles
" ...
same road beloved of weekend visitors to the Cape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back