PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scouting Report: Zach Hodges, DE/OLB

Good report. Welcome to the Zach Hodges Binky club [spoiler alert]

If we don't get an edge pass-rusher in Round 1. He's my guy in Round 2. Have a feeling Ayers is going to finish strong and get more money in free agency than we can afford to give him and will be looking for a replacement.

Have you guys seen any of Davis Tull out of UT-Chattanooga? I have heard good things but haven't found any tape yet.

I just haven't been able to get on the Hodges bandwagon to the same extent as you guys. He's undoubtedly a nice player, and I don't have anything bad to say about him. But the combination of his light frame and level of competition stop me from jumping on all the way, especially as a day 2 pick. As a developmental/late round pick, it would be different. I can't think of an Ivy league play who became an impact player in the NFL, or who was a day 2 pick. Kyle Juszczyk, JC Tretter and Zac DeOssie all went 4th round, Caraun Reid in the 5th. I could get past the level of competition or the light frame, but both together really gives me pause. I'll probably be wrong, but I just haven't been able to get there yet.

Last edited:
Been a while, but Marcellus Wiley went to Columbia. Steve Jordan was a pretty good TE. Cam Jordan's father. Calvin Hill in the 60's. Going way back Chuck Bednarik and Sid Luckman.

I just haven't been able to get on the Hodges bandwagon to the same extent as you guys. He's undoubtedly a nice player, and I don't have anything bad to say about him. But the combination of his light frame and level of competition stop me from jumping on all the way, especially as a day 2 pick. As a developmental/late round pick, it would be different. I can't think of an Ivy league play who became an impact player in the NFL, or who was a day 2 pick. Kyle Juszczyk, JC Tretter and Zac DeOssie all went 4th round, Caraun Reid in the 5th. I could get past the level of competition or the light frame, but both together really gives me pause. I'll probably be wrong, but I just haven't been able to get there yet.

You make a good point and come draft day, I think teams will feel the same as you do and he will go lower than I will have him ranked. I think what stuck out to me was his positional flexibility and his fluid movements. He has to get bigger, no doubt.

Been a while, but Marcellus Wiley went to Columbia. Steve Jordan was a pretty good TE. Cam Jordan's father. Calvin Hill in the 60's. Going way back Chuck Bednarik and Sid Luckman.

Calvin Hill was a 1st round pick out of Yale, but that's a long, long time ago.

You make a good point and come draft day, I think teams will feel the same as you do and he will go lower than I will have him ranked. I think what stuck out to me was his positional flexibility and his fluid movements. He has to get bigger, no doubt.

I don't mind him as a day 3 option. Again, I may well be wrong. There's not much to dislike about the player, just those 2 concerns.

Given his level of competition pretty hard to judge him.

Is he going to play at the senior bowl? I saw he will play in the Shrine game but will he play in both?

Is he going to play at the senior bowl? I saw he will play in the Shrine game but will he play in both?

He's now accepted a Senior Bowl invite so I would assume he'd play there.

He is really going to need get much stronger, but he looks good on film against ivy leaguers.

How many FCS players get drafted in the first three rounds anyway?

I personally can't wait to see how he does at the Senior Bowl, that will tell us a lot.

I saw a Zach Hodges - Jamie Collins comparison and I like that. I had been comparing Hodges to KPL, a pretty good comparison anyway, and had considered a Collins comp but just hadn't seen enough of him in coverage to really be happy comparing him to Collins. I do think for us, he fits better as a linebacker that can play the edge on passing downs rather than a regular edge player. If they don't re-sign Casillas or let Mayo go (I'm not saying they should) then I really like Hodges. BB might not see second or third round value in an undersized backup linebacker but Collins and Hightower are the reason we can go sub on 75% of plays. LB is a key element of this defense.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back