PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scouting Report: Tevin Coleman, RB

Great report.

I really like Coleman - maybe my favorite back in a very good RB group. The best comparison I've heard is a cross between Darren McFadden and DeMarco Murray. When Murray came out in 2011 I loved his receiving skills and all-purpose ability, but thought he ran too high. He's developed himself as a runner, to a much greater extent than McFadden.

Nice job on the scouting report. However..

Disagree with you about Coleman's speed. He was a track guy in HS and:

He leads the nation with 12 runs of 30 yards or more, and the average distance on his touchdowns is an amazing 35.8 yards.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...sman-trophy-contenders-big-ten-rushing-record

He might not run a 4.3 but Coleman's ability to break the long run whilst having the size to power through tackles is the thing that impresses me the most about him.

This from NFP

As an athlete, Coleman has very good play speed. He ran a 10.86 100-meter dash in high school and has a play speed of 4.50. While Coleman is not a burner, he has a burst and you don’t see defensive backs gain on him in the open field.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-prospect-focus-Tevin-Coleman.html

I have a second round grade on Coleman and he's my joint fourth graded RB so far (with Yeldon) behind Gurley, Gordon and Abdullah.

Daniel Jeremiah writes a piece on Melvin Gordon (NFL execs compare him to Jamaal Charles) but t the bottom of the article you see that Jeremiah is a Coleman fan:

Conclusion: Charles is the popular choice among these executives. I haven't done a full workup on Gordon, but I do agree that he shares the same upright style and homerun ability of Charles. From what I've seen so far, I would place Gordon behind Todd Gurley and Tevin Coleman among this year's college crop.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...on-for-melvin-gordon?campaign=Twitter_nfl_cfb

I agree that he has speed, I called it long speed in the report. I guess he has good straight speed, but he struggles laterally and I think it takes him time to build up to that speed. He is a strider when he gets into the 2nd level, I just didn't see elite speed. With his size and aggressive running style, elite speed is not really necessary, I just don't think you can expect him to be the home run threat he has been in college.

I agree with you guys though, I really like him as an option for the Patriots in round 2. You see a guy on a bad team that defenses really key on him and he makes plays. I think his style fits the Patriots blocking scheme. When he runs downhill with that decisive one cut and through the hole, it is fun to watch.

The Maryland game was the game that most of my concerns came from. I am not sure if it was the play calls or what, but they ran far to many zone read plays and cross sweeps that he really struggled to get going.

I have seen, but have not really studied the big 2, but from casually watching Gordon, I would probably rather have Coleman ahead as well. Again this is from casually watching, not really a true breakdown yet, but 2 things concern me with Gordon. One, the holes he gets to run through are massive, that is not his fault, I just worry about how he will do when he has to use his vision and run through tighter spaces. The second is, and this was more off of last years tape, but I feel like a lot of his big runs came off of "gimmick" type plays.

So Coleman gets 307 yards on the ground in one game and isn't the talk of the night because of Gordon. That's not a bad performance though is it?

So Coleman gets 307 yards on the ground in one game and isn't the talk of the night because of Gordon. That's not a bad performance though is it?

I thought he would struggle after watching him against PSU last week. Not his fault. But, frosh QB looked really bad and they didn't score and could hardly get a first down. Impressive performance. I truly believe the best way to help Tom Brady finish his career with a bang is to improve our running game. An interior blocker and a young back.

If we don't draft the back. I'd kick the tires of Beast Mode

I thought he would struggle after watching him against PSU last week. Not his fault. But, frosh QB looked really bad and they didn't score and could hardly get a first down. Impressive performance. I truly believe the best way to help Tom Brady finish his career with a bang is to improve our running game. An interior blocker and a young back.

If we don't draft the back. I'd kick the tires of Beast Mode

I'm all in on Beast Mode - I've said that it would take this offence to a whole new level. Thing is though, this offence is at a pretty high level already and that any Beast Mode improvement will be somewhat marginal. the Question is, would that marginal improvement justify the cost?

Patriots could end up with a huge table of backs.. Very strong Rb class mixed with Beastmode, AP, Ingram, Martin, Bush etc.. Sure we should resign Veeren / Ridley when you can have something better for cheap Money :cool:

Patriots could end up with a huge table of backs.. Very strong Rb class mixed with Beastmode, AP, Ingram, Martin, Bush etc.. Sure we should resign Veeren / Ridley when you can have something better for cheap Money :cool:

With this great draft class on top, what a great year to need RBs. My hunch is that BB likes what Vereen gives this offence so they'll bring him back and that they'll either go with Ridley or Ingram. But don't quote me on that, with so much choice, it's going to be too hard to predict.

I'm all in on Beast Mode - I've said that it would take this offence to a whole new level. Thing is though, this offence is at a pretty high level already and that any Beast Mode improvement will be somewhat marginal. the Question is, would that marginal improvement justify the cost?

It would be quite funny if the 2015 Pats ended up with Brandon Browner, Alan Branch, and Marshawn Lynch all on the roster. Lynch is a pretty long shot, though, and Ingram may be cheaper and with less wear on his tread.

It would be quite funny if the 2015 Pats ended up with Brandon Browner, Alan Branch, and Marshawn Lynch all on the roster. Lynch is a pretty long shot, though, and Ingram may be cheaper and with less wear on his tread.

One positive is that this will be a buyers market this year with so many quality FA RBs and such a good draft class. I can see Lynch appealing to BB's Haynesworth, Ochocinco, Moss, Dillon big player penchant. I can't see them re-signing Vereen and signing Lynch though. Far too much money at the position.

FWIW, La Canfora is saying it's unlikely the Saints will bring back Ingram.

Does Gray's performance last night change your thought on the position? I like his running style. He is not flashy and not really a guy who can create his own yards, but he is big and he runs hard. I hope he can keep it up. I need to see it more before I say the position doesn't need improving, but it was nice to see that the Patriots can still run the ball.

I don't want to make a judgement based just upon one more game, but yes, if he continues to show that similar level of hard running, then I think it's fair to say that I'll dial back on how I view the RB position. If Gray continues to play at that sort of level and Vereen is re-signed, then a RB roster of Vereen/Gray/White/Gaffney and maybe a late round pick/UDFA or a FA pickup will be fine.

Does Gray's performance last night change your thought on the position? I like his running style. He is not flashy and not really a guy who can create his own yards, but he is big and he runs hard. I hope he can keep it up. I need to see it more before I say the position doesn't need improving, but it was nice to see that the Patriots can still run the ball.
Not so much as the offensive guard position going forward. Dan Connolly will be an unrestricted free agent next season. I am not sold long term on Ryan Wendell as an offensive guard, who incidentally will only have one year left on his contract.

The New England Patriots ran the ball effectively against the Bears and Colts. Not so much against the Jets and Broncos. If the holes are there, Jonas Gray can be effective.

I personally would not draft a running back earlier than the third round and address the trenches in the first two rounds.

This is either lucky or amazing vision by Tevin Coleman to see where the safeties are. As noted by @johnowning who posted this gif to Twitter, the cut to the right seems to be the obvious move but the cut to the left that Coleman makes was absolutely the right cut to make. How many RBs would have made it?

http://gfycat.com/SlipperyTameDegu

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back