PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scouting Report: Shawn Oakman

That's the way I'm heading right now. I see Dupree as a fusion of Justin Houston, Justin Tuck, and Rob Ninkovich.

I have to compliment you. I think you have the best pure "eye" for talent since Box.

Wow. Thank you for that. That's an honour coming from you because you have the best understanding of the teams needs and ideal players. You'll be able to dine out on Talib and Easley for years if you were so inclined.

Wow. Thank you for that. That's an honour coming from you because you have the best understanding of the teams needs and ideal players. You'll be able to dine out on Talib and Easley for years if you were so inclined.

I tend to always evaluate players thinking of their potential roles and schematic fit. But I acknowledge that you have a better eye than I do. It's a gift.

One more thought on Dupree. The guy who I think he could end up most resembling in terms of size / speed / explosiveness / athleticism / versatility is ... Ziggy Ansah.

Interesting. Don't think he has Ziggy's length though. If you were going to mould the perfect 4-3 DE, Ziggy would be what you create.

I tend to always evaluate players thinking of their potential roles and schematic fit. But I acknowledge that you have a better eye than I do. It's a gift.

Closer to the time, we should try and do a combined mock and see where that takes us...although we seem to have a bit of a consensus right now.

One more thought on Dupree. The guy who I think he could end up most resembling in terms of size / speed / explosiveness / athleticism / versatility is ... Ziggy Ansah.

I still think a better Marcus Smith might be the best comp for Dupree. He is certainly what I saw when I watched Smith for the first time.

I still think a better Marcus Smith might be the best comp for Dupree. He is certainly what I saw when I watched Smith for the first time.

Dupree seems bigger, more physical and more athletic than Smith. Let's wait until the Combine and some measurables.

It wouldn't shock me to see Dupree go top 15.

I think the difference I see on film is that Smith looked good dropping back into coverage whereas Dupree just doesn't get asked to do it, so it is an unknown for him. From a physical standpoint though, that is a nice comparison.

I think the difference I see on film is that Smith looked good dropping back into coverage whereas Dupree just doesn't get asked to do it, so it is an unknown for him. From a physical standpoint though, that is a nice comparison.

From Rob Rang, on the Kentucky-Mississippi St. game:

Dupree, who entered the game as the SEC's reigning sacks leader with 19 career QB takedowns, was often asked to drop into coverage or flatten out his rushes in an attempt to keep Prescott from scrambling. The alignment robbed him of opportunities to rush upfield and build upon his impressive resume but helped the Wildcats apply some big hits to Prescott.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...rio-of-nfl-hopefuls-help-uk-push-no-1-miss-st

I haven't had a chance to review that film yet.

I haven't watched that game yet either, but I look forward to seeing how he looked. Nice find Mayo

I haven't watched that game yet either, but I look forward to seeing how he looked. Nice find Mayo

One of the things that has changed my mind to some degree on Dupree is that from all accounts he has been taking on a more varied and versatile role over the past few weeks. Mark Stoops clearly think that he has much more versatility than just as a pass rusher. I haven't looked at recent film in detail yet, but given his athleticism, that kind of versatility would push him way up my board.

One of the things that has changed my mind to some degree on Dupree is that from all accounts he has been taking on a more varied and versatile role over the past few weeks. Mark Stoops clearly think that he has much more versatility than just as a pass rusher. I haven't looked at recent film in detail yet, but given his athleticism, that kind of versatility would push him way up my board.

He and Fowler share that versatility. I grade Dupree a little higher because of that athleticism but it's either/or as far as I'm concerned. I need to watch some Kikaha too.

Have you seen anything of Max Valles from Virginia? He's heading to the top of my drool list for next year.

He and Fowler share that versatility. I grade Dupree a little higher because of that athleticism but it's either/or as far as I'm concerned. I need to watch some Kikaha too.

That's pretty much where I am. I'd be thrilled with any of Oakman, Dupree or Fowler - Oakman isn't as versatile as the other 2, but he has Chandler Jones kind of versatility, which is plenty. I like Dupree's combination of athleticism and versatility, but I could see BB preferring any of those 3 guys, and I could easily see all 3 being out of reach.

Have you seen anything of Max Valles from Virginia? He's heading to the top of my drool list for next year.

A bit, but I haven't studied him yet. Very athletic. Has bulked up quite a bit since arriving at Virginia, but needs to get functionally stronger.

That's pretty much where I am. I'd be thrilled with any of Oakman, Dupree or Fowler - Oakman isn't as versatile as the other 2, but he has Chandler Jones kind of versatility, which is plenty. I like Dupree's combination of athleticism and versatility, but I could see BB preferring any of those 3 guys, and I could easily see all 3 being out of reach.

A bit, but I haven't studied him yet. Very athletic. Has bulked up quite a bit since arriving at Virginia, but needs to get functionally stronger.

I saw him running a receiver down from behind in a different prospect vid. Made me sit up and take notice.

Mel kiper has put the Oklahoma bookend OTs in the top 32 of his latest big board. Shawn Oakman goes up against them this weekend - a bit of draft stock deathmatch.

I saw him running a receiver down from behind in a different prospect vid. Made me sit up and take notice.

I think he would excel in that part of the game. Edge setting is more of a question, for me.

I haven't seen much on oakman, but does he excel in rushing the passer while being a liability? I need to watch tape but from what I'm hearing is he is a very high upside prospect but that also scares me to think that he won't tap into his potential.

I haven't seen much on oakman, but does he excel in rushing the passer while being a liability? I need to watch tape but from what I'm hearing is he is a very high upside prospect but that also scares me to think that he won't tap into his potential.

He's a very interesting prospect and I can see why others like him so much . I have two question marks on him. The first is leverage, I'm not a fan of overly tall players and the second is effort levels.

He's a very interesting prospect and I can see why others like him so much . I have two question marks on him. The first is leverage, I'm not a fan of overly tall players and the second is effort levels.

Interesting that you like Gregory because of his length (6'6") but question Oakman (6'8") for being "overly tall". You may be completely correct on both counts, but it caught my attention.

I love length in terms of ability to clog the passing lanes, but certainly leverage can be an issue. Taller players often have trouble learning how to use their length effectively - Jason Pierre-Paul comes to mind as someone who looked awkward much of the time in college, until he figured out how to use his length. From what I've read and seen, Oakman plays with good pad level given his extreme height, but that is certainly an issue to consider carefully.

In terms of effort, Oakman is still developing. I don't think he's particularly a poor effort player, but he certainly doesn't yet bring a JJ Watt kind of intensity on every play. That's a legitimate issue to tease out, assuming he declares.

Interesting that you like Gregory because of his length (6'6") but question Oakman (6'8") for being "overly tall". You may be completely correct on both counts, but it caught my attention.

I love length in terms of ability to clog the passing lanes, but certainly leverage can be an issue. Taller players often have trouble learning how to use their length effectively - Jason Pierre-Paul comes to mind as someone who looked awkward much of the time in college, until he figured out how to use his length. From what I've read and seen, Oakman plays with good pad level given his extreme height, but that is certainly an issue to consider carefully.

In terms of effort, Oakman is still developing. I don't think he's particularly a poor effort player, but he certainly doesn't yet bring a JJ Watt kind of intensity on every play. That's a legitimate issue to tease out, assuming he declares.

6'5" to 6'6" is my upper limit. I don't dismiss taller prospects but they certainly make me more uncomfortable. I have a 1-2 grade on Oakman, it's not that I don't like him.

6'5" to 6'6" is my upper limit. I don't dismiss taller prospects but they certainly make me more uncomfortable. I have a 1-2 grade on Oakman, it's not that I don't like him.

Fair enough. As I said, you could be easily right on both counts, and certainly length makes leverage a potential issue. I think you have to evaluate each guy individually - there aren't many successful 6'4" 220# CBs, but Brandon Browner seems to make it work.

If Oakman's available in the late 1st I'm doing cartwheels. Whether I prefer Oakman or Dupree is mainly dependent on scheme and what role BB thinks needs to be filled. I currently have them 1a and 1b.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back