PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scouting Report: Paul Dawson, LB

I haven't studied Dawson in detail. What concerns me most about your scouting report is the part that he "relies solely on his speed to get around blockers". That seems like a big red flag, especially for the Pats. He's an intriguing player, but my gut feel right now is that he will end up going higher than I would probably take him.

Good job Midwest. You are right as regards Dawson and taking on blocks. It's not something I see as a major issue in these spread offense sub package days; speed/athleticism, angles and ability t press the game are so much more important today and in these areas, Dawson excels. I stick with my comp as a less physical Mayo but this also means that, unless we cut Mayo, he's not necessarily a great fit here.

Interesting comp Manx. The way you word that though, I can kind of see it. I think LaVonte David is also a good comparison, especially his style of play. More of that chase and tackle type of player. The more I watch these linebackers, the more I am impressed by Jaimie Collins, he has the size but plays like these smaller LB's. That is the guy I am looking for and I am not sure I have found him yet.

Interesting comp Manx. The way you word that though, I can kind of see it. I think LaVonte David is also a good comparison, especially his style of play. More of that chase and tackle type of player. The more I watch these linebackers, the more I am impressed by Jaimie Collins, he has the size but plays like these smaller LB's. That is the guy I am looking for and I am not sure I have found him yet.

Zach Hodges is the closest thing I think albeit with some projection. I liked KPL last year as a Jamie Collins type and the first time I saw Hodges I immediately thought of KPL.

I think Collins is a very rare player, and trying to find the next one may be too high a standard. There's a lot of GMs out there looking for the next one.

The guys who are intriguing to me in terms of their combinations of size, athleticism , versatility and skill set are:

- Bud Dupree: he's got the explosiveness, and I think he may have the raw athleticism of a Collins; I don't know if his movement skills will be as good, and his combat skills may be lacking.

- Danielle Hunter: he's got great length and combat skills for his size, and rare movement skills for a DE; I'm not sure that he has the explosiveness (though he is rumored to have a 38" VJ). He seems to be a bit like what you'd get if you merged Jamie Collins and Chandler Jones.

- Bernardrick McKinney: he's got great versatility and size; I'm not sure he's as fluid in space, or quite as explosive.

Those are the 3 guys who jump out at me. I'm guessing that Manx might include Shane Ray, who is certainly athletic and explosive, though I think his role has been much more limited.

As an example of how hard it is even for athletically elite guys to fill that kind of role, I found this read on Barkevious Mingo interesting:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/12/barkevious_mingo_browns.html

It's well worth a read.

Last edited:
What I really like about Dawson's game is his timing on blitzes. He has such a good burst in his first step that he is able to mask the blitz well, which is something you don't see too much from a guy with limied playing experience

What I really like about Dawson's game is his timing on blitzes. He has such a good burst in his first step that he is able to mask the blitz well, which is something you don't see too much from a guy with limied playing experience

Again, I haven't watched a ton of him, but based on the descriptions the guy who comes to mind among recent prospects would be Kyle Van Noy.

I have not watched any Hunter yet, but is on my list. I like Bud Dupree, I still need to go back and watch some of the later games in the season to see if he drops into coverage at all. I have my concerns on that.

Hodges is up there for me as well as an all around guy. The senior bowl will be a big step on where his final ranking is for me. I want to see him against better competition.

I was higher on McKinney earlier than I am now. It depends on the role he is put it. I agree, I love his size and he is athletic in a north south type of way, but I do not see the fluid movement and I have concerns about his play recognition. Even yesterday in their bowl game, I saw too many false steps. What he was asked to do in college is probably not what he will do in the NFL though, so you have to make some assumptions.

I think Collins is a very rare player, and trying to find the next one may be too high a standard. There's a lot of GMs out there looking for the next one.

The guys who are intriguing to me in terms of their combinations of size, athleticism , versatility and skill set are:

- Bud Dupree: he's got the explosiveness, and I think he may have the raw athleticism of a Collins; I don't know if his movement skills will be as good, and his combat skills may be lacking.

- Danielle Hunter: he's got great length and combat skills for his size, and rare movement skills for a DE; I'm not sure that he has the explosiveness (though he is rumored to have a 38" VJ). He seems to be a bit like what you'd get if you merged Jamie Collins and Chandler Jones.

- Bernardrick McKinney: he's got great versatility and size; I'm not sure he's as fluid in space, or quite as explosive.

Those are the 3 guys who jump out at me. I'm guessing that Manx might include Shane Ray, who is certainly athletic and explosive, though I think his role has been much more limited.

As an example of how hard it is even for athletically elite guys to fill that kind of role, I found this read on Barkevious Mingo interesting:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/12/barkevious_mingo_browns.html

It's well worth a read.

I've never considered Ray as a Patriots style LB.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back