PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scouting Report: Cyrus Jones, CB

Jones's name has been linked to the Patriots quite a bit lately, so why not learn a little more about him.
Scouting Report: Cyrus Jones, CB | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2014 NFL Draft

I have a 3rd round grade on him but was a little underwhelmed. I think he's about the same as Logan Ryan coming out, hence the 3rd round grade. His punt return ability could be key, particularly if Amendola leaves. However, I wouldn't argue with your 4th round grade.

I don't like this CB class that much. I've yet to find anyone I like more than Eric Murray and Kevin Peterson (I'm not including first rounders in that). I do need to watch Artie Burns, Will Redmond and Keivarae Russell though. Things have gone quiet on the last two.

Russell's pro day at Notre Dame is today. He really needs a good workout to prove that his stress fracture issues are behind him and that he would be a worthwhile round 4/5 pick.

As for Jones, I wouldn't begin to look for him until the end of round 3 at the earliest. Chances are that there should be better players than him available then anyway. His return ability will enhance his value;
he might actually provide more value as a returner than as a CB. I'm also not a fan of Alabama players
in general; I feel that most of them enter the NFL as maxed-out and worn-out from the competition from their own teammates.

Russell's pro day at Notre Dame is today. He really needs a good workout to prove that his stress fracture issues are behind him and that he would be a worthwhile round 4/5 pick.

As for Jones, I wouldn't begin to look for him until the end of round 3 at the earliest. Chances are that there should be better players than him available then anyway. His return ability will enhance his value;
he might actually provide more value as a returner than as a CB. I'm also not a fan of Alabama players
in general; I feel that most of them enter the NFL as maxed-out and worn-out from the competition from their own teammates.
If it were not for his special teams ability, he would drop down further for me. He is a Day 3 corner IMO. His spatial awareness and lack of height are a concern for me going forward.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back