PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scouting Report: Brandon Person, DB

I can't offer anything on Person, but safety Cassius Sendish of Kansas has a fantastic highlight tape. Instincts to die for.

I don't know anything about either player, but I applaud you both for doing diligence on these guys. After a season where the single biggest play in the NFL was made by a rookie UDFA from West Alabama, we should know that this kind of thorough homework can pay huge dividends, though the odds on any one guy are low.

Judging by his 38 min highlight video, Sendish is McCourty-esque in his ability as a FS. He's been in that Hardison/Terry Williams/Ben Heeney group for me of prospects getting no draft buzz (obviously Hardison and Heeney have now). But I watch Sendish and wonder why he's not considered a day one or two prospect. I can only think he's had a brilliantly edited highlight tape or he's lacking athletically, a 4.7 guy or something like that.

Actually, just seen NFL Draft Scout and they have him as a 4.53 guy at 5-11, 196 which is fine for a safety.

Judging by his 38 min highlight video, Sendish is McCourty-esque in his ability as a FS. He's been in that Hardison/Terry Williams/Ben Heeney group for me of prospects getting no draft buzz (obviously Hardison and Heeney have now). But I watch Sendish and wonder why he's not considered a day one or two prospect. I can only think he's had a brilliantly edited highlight tape or he's lacking athletically, a 4.7 guy or something like that.

Actually, just seen NFL Draft Scout and they have him as a 4.53 guy at 5-11, 196 which is fine for a safety.

Just sent a tweet to Sendish's agent. He says that there is draft buzz for Sendish amongst decision makers. We shall see.

Edit: From Greg Linton, Sendish's agent:

@ConCabbie Do NOT be surprised if his name is called May 2...

Hopefully.

Last edited:
Just sent a tweet to Sendish's agent. He says that there is draft buzz for Sendish amongst decision makers. We shall see.

Sendish played for Charlie Weis, no? I suspect the Pats are fully informed. :)

Sendish played for Charlie Weis, no? I suspect the Pats are fully informed. :)

Yes he was.

Good write up on Sendish here. Usual Pats stuff - captain, defensive leader, film room buff etc etc.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2014/sep/01/q-who-knows-ku-football-sendish/

I first picked up on the name when he was getting "coaches loved him" comments at the Medal of Honour Bowl. I then watched his highlight tape and was really impressed by his ability to read the game and his instincts.

I think I've figured out why he's not more talked about. He's a very good solid player who does everything right but he's not really an impact player. I think he only had one interception for example. Of course judging a defensive player in the spread happy Big-12 ain't easy. I said upthread that he's a day one/two guy. That was presumptuous. He's a day three guy who will be an excellent backup and probable special teamer who could develop into a possible starter.

Yes he was.

Good write up on Sendish here. Usual Pats stuff - captain, defensive leader, film room buff etc etc.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2014/sep/01/q-who-knows-ku-football-sendish/

I first picked up on the name when he was getting "coaches loved him" comments at the Medal of Honour Bowl. I then watched his highlight tape and was really impressed by his ability to read the game and his instincts.

I think I've figured out why he's not more talked about. He's a very good solid player who does everything right but he's not really an impact player. I think he only had one interception for example. Of course judging a defensive player in the spread happy Big-12 ain't easy. I said upthread that he's a day one/two guy. That was presumptuous. He's a day three guy who will be an excellent backup and probable special teamer who could develop into a possible starter.

His highlight tape is really good, but of course, it's a highlight tape. I haven't studied him, but I'm intrigued. He and Ben Heeney are both really interesting back end options, especially given the Charlie Weis connection.

BTW, Drew Boylhart from the Huddle Report loves Heeney, and gives him a 1st round grade (he gives Shaq Thompson a 3rd round grade, in comparison). He notes: "He has the passion and instincts to play more than one position and with his unique ability to see the whole field like a franchise quarterback does after the snap of the ball, Ben shows a combination of talent and skills few players bring with them coming out of college game."

BTW, Drew Boylhart from the Huddle Report loves Heeney, and gives him a 1st round grade

Inside linebackers with great intangibles are Boylhart's weakness He falls hard for them year after year. Some other ILBs he's given 1st round talent grades to:

Darry Beckwith
Beau Bell
Tank Carder
AJ Edds
Dannell Ellerbe
Ben Moffitt
Mark Zalewiski

Nothing against Heeney, who is an intriguing prospect. I just don't put a lot of stock in Boylhart on this one.

Cassius Sendish "Official Highlights"

This guy reminds me of Patrick Chung (upside) and Jemea Thomas (downside).

Lots of lunge tackling. Really aggressive when tackling downhill on an angle. Gets frozen head-up a lot and has to make tackle in pursuit. Best playing inside-out in the alley.

At 5' 11" ~200 lbs. what's his position in the NFL?

Inside linebackers with great intangibles are Boylhart's weakness He falls hard for them year after year. Some other ILBs he's given 1st round talent grades to:

Darry Beckwith
Beau Bell
Tank Carder
AJ Edds
Dannell Ellerbe
Ben Moffitt
Mark Zalewiski

Nothing against Heeney, who is an intriguing prospect. I just don't put a lot of stock in Boylhart on this one.

One of many weaknesses. He's good for an independent point of view that can be helpful and refreshing, but you have to take his appraisals with a huge grain of salt, and cross-check them carefully with your own appraisals.

For another read on Heeney, see:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-misconceptions-challenges-entering-nfl-draft

That article notes, among other things:
“The issue I saw with him was a lot of missed tackles and some bad angles to the ball,” [Matt] Miller said. “He'll get tied up by blockers and sometimes still create the play, but he's not a finisher.”

According to a scouting report by NFL.com’s Lance Zierlein, Heeney was “the college football leader in missed tackles in 2014.”

I think Heeney's an intriguing guy, but the odds that he won't be more than Jonathan Casillas - a guy with great ST capability and enough athleticism and versatility to be a decent rotational player. That's ok with me for a 6th round pick. But if Casillas can be re-signed on the cheap, I'm not sure that Heeney really adds anything extra.

Cassius Sendish "Official Highlights"

This guy reminds me of Patrick Chung (upside) and Jemea Thomas (downside).

Lots of lunge tackling. Really aggressive when tackling downhill on an angle. Gets frozen head-up a lot and has to make tackle in pursuit. Best playing inside-out in the alley.

At 5' 11" ~200 lbs. what's his position in the NFL?

Devin McCourty 5011, 193lbs.

What I see is an outstanding open-field tackler
Great at reacting to the play in front of him
Closing speed when a defender gets behind him
Tackles with his shoulder too often (but then so does Earl Thomas).

with the usual caveat that these are highlight tapes.

For the hardcore fan, there's a 38 minute version of the above video

People should treat Lance Zierlein's contribution about Heeney's missed tackles stat with some scepticism. Heeney was second only to Eric Kendricks in the whole of college football for solo tackles. He's a good tackler.

Also, in the same article Mayo quoted he didn't point out that draftnik Ryan Riddle said he was "the best sideline-sideline prospect in the draft...aside from Erick Kendricks", that he has the potential to be one of the best non-rush linebackers in the draft class and has pro-bowl potential.

As for Casillas, Casillas is Heeney's floor. I hope we're not not drafting a high upside prospect because of Jonathan Casillas.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back