PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SCOUT has us taking--#28

carolinatony

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Jonathan Dwyer, 5-11, 230, Georgia Tech

I woudn't mind the pick but BB won't take a RB this high. We still need a pass rusher more and can grab a RB in the later rounds.

Depends what he really thinks of Maroney. All we have is him and older guys, if Belichick is ready to move on then he absolutely could take Dwyer at #28.

It was only one play. But, we have speculated that Dwyer may not be the blocker required in our offense. If you see the replay of winning td run by their qb in OT. Dwyer flattened a db to pave the way. I like the Spiller kid from Clemson too. Could be a faster Kevin Faulk. He's a lot tougher than most track guys. Will be great on special teams for a year or two as he learns the offense.

Earlier in the season I had Dwyer as a possible first round pick for us, but not now, for several reasons:

1. I want the pass rush addressed first. I'd much rather see Greg Hardy or Derrick Morgan in the first round (unless Rolando McClain somehow is available), and possibly another rush 3-4 OLB (Sergio Kindle, Jerry Hughes or Jeremy Beal) in the 2nd.

2. Like you, I don't see RB being adequate first round value.

3. I still like Dwyer (a lot) and wouldn't be at all unhappy to see him on the Pats, but I like Ryan Mathews even better. He's a much better blocker, better receiver out of the backfield, and has better acceleration and home run capability.

My ideal draft right now would be something like this:

1. McClain, Hardy or Morgan.
2a. Hardy, Morgan or possibly Everson Griffen if McClain is taken in the first. Otherwise Kindle, Hughes or Beal.
2b. An OL such as Mike Iupati (OG), Maurkice Pouncey (OG/C) or Gabe Carmini (RT).
2c. Ryan Mathews. This might need to be 2b, with OL being 2c.
3. Trade into the 3rd round to get one of the 3-4 DE prospects. There are a lot of good ones, so someone will be available in the early 3rd round. There's going to be very little difference between the late 1st and early 3rd round with all of the depth in this draft. Possibilities include Lawrence Marsh, Adrian Clayborn, Cameron Heyward, Corey Wootton, and Vince Oghobasse. Any of those guys could go late 1st or 2nd round, but one or more could slip. Add Arthur Jones if his injury somehow causes him to slip.

Earlier in the season I had Dwyer as a possible first round pick for us, but not now.

I have tremendous difficulty seeing BB take a RB in the first round as well. I would also need to see some evidence of hands and blocking ability before thinking about Dwyer as a first rounder.

The back I think BB would notice is Spiller of Clemson, who I think is going to run in the 4.32 range which will open a lot of eyes, especially because Johnson of Tenn ran a 4.28 and has had tremendous NFL success.
Now Spiller has shown BB that he can run, catch and block, although not that great at it by any means.
Spiller would add a dimension to our offense as a third WR/slot back that we have not had since Faulk lost his burst.

1. McClain, Hardy or Morgan.
2a. Hardy, Morgan or possibly Everson Griffen if McClain is taken in the first. Otherwise Kindle, Hughes or Beal.
2b. An OL such as Mike Iupati (OG), Maurkice Pouncey (OG/C) or Gabe Carmini (RT).
2c. Ryan Mathews. This might need to be 2b, with OL being 2c.
3. Trade into the 3rd round to get one of the 3-4 DE prospects. There are a lot of good ones, so someone will be available in the early 3rd round. There's going to be very little difference between the late 1st and early 3rd round with all of the depth in this draft. Possibilities include Lawrence Marsh, Adrian Clayborn, Cameron Heyward, Corey Wootton, and Vince Oghobasse. Any of those guys could go late 1st or 2nd round, but one or more could slip. Add Arthur Jones if his injury somehow causes him to slip.

I like your pick as usual Mayo. I don't see too many rookies making the team next year after this past draft. BB will trade a lot back for the next year with the potential salary cap for rookies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back